Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Yesterday's News and CareFRESH

lizo72

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I have read the other threads about using Yesterday's News but I was just wondering how often would I have to change it? I am planning to use Yesterday's News on the bottom with CareFRESH on the top. Thanks for any input. lol
P.S... I would love to try out the fleece, but since I still live at home I still need to convince my parents about using fleece. :sad:

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
I haven't used it myself (they don't sell in in the UK as far as my knowledge goes) but I would say let your nose decide! If you use Yesterdays News and CareFresh maybe you could leave it for 1 1/2 weeks? Maybe two? Then again it can depends on the size of your cage.

Most people clean their cage once a week I think.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You should still try to clean out most cages about weekly. If you do spot cleaning or for some of the really big cages you might be able to go 2 weeks. The reason a more absorbent bedding doesn't really extend cleaning time is because you still have droppings everywhere. The poop will add up and after 2 weeks most cages would practically be more poop than bedding. Pigs are just messy that way. Yesterday's news though will keep the cage mch drier and with less smell than using carefresh on it's own. It also probably costs less. With only carefresh I found I had to completely clean the cage after 5 days because it was too soggy but with pellets underneath it was still dry after 2weeks. The problem was those droppings that built up and needed removed earlier.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage and how many piggies are in it? That makes a difference as well. As for using fleece, I'm shocked that your parents wouldn't want to try it! It saves SO much money, is easy to care for, and prevents you from getting a mess all over the floor when cleaning out the bedding. Maybe you should give them some printed information on using fleece and ask if you could at least test it out to see if it works better. I use fleece on top with several layers of mattress pads underneath. The mattress pads are super-absorbent and soft, and they will hold a considerable amount of urine before you have to change it. As for the poop, you can sweep it or vacuum out the cage once a day and it only takes a minute. Your piggies won't be walking around in poop and pee like they do with regular bedding, and I've found that it has less of a smell. I can also go longer between cage cleaning. I definitely recommend using fleece, I love it!

lizo72

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll still continue to spot clean everyday since she is like a pooping machine :). But I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to change it weekly, since CareFRESH is so expensive (but still I love it). Hopefully using Yesterday's News would really cut down the cost.

Well, I only have one right now and she is still in a store bought cage. If all goes well, she should have a 2 x 3 by the end of the weekend. And as for a friend, I'll work on it (since I am new to guinea pigs, I want to get a hang of it before I get her a friend).

As for fleece, I'll continue to ask my parents about it and give them more information. I think the only problem they have is washing fleece, which is used by my piggie to pee and poo on, with the rest of our clothes. But if I make a litter box it would be better right? I really want to give fleece a try, since it would safe a lot more money :love:

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Generally you have enough fleece material and towels to fill a washer so you do a seperate load from the clothes. However you may have to wipe out the washer and/or run it through rinse cycle empty afterward before putting in a load of clothes. My stepdad flipped out about putting guinea pig peed on stuff in the washer and dryer even if I cleaned them out afterward. In fact I even used a damp washcloth to wipe out both before running the washer empty and then washing towels for human use but he still got all upset. After trying to dodge him and do laundry when he wasn't home I gave it up. Even if you use a litterbox they will still pee on the fleece some and definitely poop. The biggest thing that helps is to shake the fleece outside really well before washing. 1 warning though. Don't snap the fleece while standing down wind of it. You'll get a mouthful of pee, hay, and droppings. :p

lizo72

Cavy Slave
LOL lol Thanks, I'll try to remember that one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.