Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamsters?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any tips on making a C&C cage for a hamster?Like how big it should be and how to make it escape proof?I'm trying to convince my parents to let me get a hamster. And before we bought a cage I wanted to try a C&C cage or an old pig cage. And how wide should the gaps in the bars be for a hamster?Don't worry I'm going to do a bunch of research but I'm just trying to get an idea in my head. Thanks for the help.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Would an old cat litter box with doubled grids be good?Or could I use some mesh wire over the old guinea pig cage add some grids for a second story and put coro over the metal base be good enough?

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Hello there,
I know someone is going to dis-agree with me but for my dwarf hamster Im using a 10 gallon fish tank. And he is the happiest he could ever be. I dont think using one of these cages would work. I couldnt see it that working. Hmm... I dont know. But I know the tank I have is bigger than any of those ones you could get at the stores thou. Just a suggestion.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I read that those are ok for dwarf hamsters but I was wanting a teddy bear hamster and something said they were better off in a plastic/wire cage.I was thinking about an old cage but changed my mind because it's all chewed up thanks to my guinea pig.I was also wondering how big if I do grids it should be? I noticed most cages at the stores were less than 14 inches by 14inches. so i was thing maybe 1x2 grids or a 1x1 2 story cage.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Oh and about the cage I would double the grids or find mesh grids.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Target is having a sale on mesh grids right now.As soon as my parents say I can get a hamster I'm going to buy some.I haven't yet asked them or told them I'm going to pay for the supplies myself.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I really wouldn't use a C&C cage for a hamster. Hamsters can squeeze through such small gaps you would never imagine they'd get through so the gaps in a C&C cage would be no problem. I have a few different style cages which I've used to house hamsters but by far the best is the Rotastak system as it mimics the natural habitat.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of using mesh grids or doubling over the regular ones, or just making one because I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a tiny cage from the petstore.I've got a plan on how to make one and since mesh grids are cheaper than normal ones I could double those so it would be to easy to chew.I just need 3/4 inch spaces to 1/2 inch spaces for the cage bars for the type of hamster I want.I was doing some research on the size of a cage for a teddy bear hamster so I know what I am in for and looking for.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I was also thinking about getting a bird cage and adding stuff to it.1. It's much cheaper than a hamster cage 2.The spaces in the bars are small enough it can't get through.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
No matter what donot get a crittertrail!! they are way too small!! bincages are good to use for hamsters, you can get a huge one for only a few dollars!
here is a good hamster site (broken link removed)
here is about bin cages (broken link removed) and (broken link removed)

Last edited:

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I was never planning on a critter trail I've heard bad things about them.Thanks. I was thinking about a bin cage as well.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
That looks great. I think if and when I get the hamster that will be the type of cage she/he will be in. Thanks alot!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I used the mesh grids from Target for my hamsters cage. I would make it at least a 1x2 and 2 levels.. Hamsters love climbing. I would recommend getting 2 boxes of the mesh grids.. they are smaller sizes then the regular grids.. and its good to have extras on hand..

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I think I will try the bin cage idea though it seems easier.

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Those bin cages look really good! Wish I had those when I had my hamster.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
They look awesome!If I get my hamster I will try to make one and maybe buy a set of mesh grids to expand

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
No matter what donot get a crittertrail!! they are way too small!! bincages are good to use for hamsters, you can get a huge one for only a few dollars!
here is a good hamster site (broken link removed)
here is about bin cages (broken link removed) and (broken link removed)

I had the crittertrail space one and the safari one and I added them two together then another 3 and my hamster was sooooooooo hapy with it

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
The bin cages are good for some hamsters.. mine always chewed out of them.. Another thing to consider with those is the ventilation.. its no better than a aquarium when it comes to that.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I had the crittertrail space one and the safari one and I added them two together then another 3 and my hamster was sooooooooo hapy with it
The hammy I want wont fit in the trails xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.