Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n dog food?

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
i have been trying to go veggie, but had a question:

what can we do about our pets' food that contain animal products? is there any way to get around this?

because i was going though my house items and getting rid of things that had animal products in them, and came across my dog's food. i was just wondering where do i go from here? any veggie alternatives for our pets?

thank you

Treen

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what I think of enforcing vegetarianism on dogs and cats, and don't really have enough knowledge or experience to make a proper judgement. I don't think I'll ever have a dog or cat anyway, but I think if I was interested, the thought of having to feed it meat would really put me off.

Dogs are essentially omnivorous, so technically can get what they need from a vegetarian diet, whereas with cats (who are carnivorous) it can cause them lots of health problems. There are quite a few vegetarian and vegan pet foods out there for both and I'm sure some are better than others.

I guess that seeing as pet food usually has the grimmest and lowest quality meat in it that has been rejected by every other food manufacturer, there might not actually be as much meat-sourced nutrition as it as people like to believe anyway!

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
I know that there are Dog and cat foods out there that contain no animal products...I read an article on Alicia Silverstone and she feeds her dogs all natural food-with no animal ingredients. So I Know that it's possible to feed your dog vegan, but I'm not sure if it's ever been tested and proven to be benifical to them or not...

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
I would personally never try it with my pets. Especially cats. They can go blind because of not having meat. And personally just because I am going veggie doesn't mean I want to make my cats and dogs go veggie. To me that is cruel. I would never advise it. If you are worried that your pet food doesn't contain real meat. Talk to your vet. We special order are cat and dog food, and it is all natural with real meat. Or another option is a health food store. You can buy cat and dog food from there too. Like for example an all natural health food store near me is called Trader Joes. And they sell dog and cat food. They are just not meant to go veggie.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Doesn't it make you appreciate guinea pigs all the more when you realize they are pure vegans and their poop smells just fine and other animals don't have to die to keep them? I love guinea pigs.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Me too cavyspirit, I love guinea pigs!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
lol! i LOVE my piggies!

Josephine

Cavy Slave
Biologically speaking (and from my vet tech point of view), it is much better to feed holistic, but omnivourous diets to dogs and more carnivorous diets to cats. I have never seen even the most devoted vegetarian feeding a healthy vegetarian diet to either. They just aren't built for it, and it can (as has been mentioned) kill your cat or be seriously detrimental (especially to the heart) to the dog.

Some foods I recommend for those who want to feed quality, biologically apropriate foods to dogs and cats are:

NDF (Natural Diet Foundation), ala Wendy Volhard (dogs only)
PHD/Viand
Solid Gold/Hund N Flocken/I think it's Katz N Flocken
BARF (Bones and Raw Food, Biologically Appropriate Raw Food), ala Ian Billinghurst
The Ultimate Diet, ala Kymythy Schultze
Fargo/Far More (raw meat product)
Wellness (esp. non chicken based formulas) by Old Mother Hubbard

as far as prescription diets (for specific veterinary problems), I always choose IVD

There are a ton of holistic foods out there, but you need to do research on ingredients, etc. Many of them are substandard. I think I've listed some of the best quality ones.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
Josephine, are you a vet?

Josephine

Cavy Slave
Actually, if you see in my post and my profile, I am a Registered Veterinary Technician.

So, no, I'm not a vet.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
ok. i just wanted to know because your previous post sounded so informational and knowledgable!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's because she is and probably knows more than a lot of vets anyway--especially about cavies!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
piggylover101 said:
I would personally never try it with my pets. Especially cats. They can go blind because of not having meat. And personally just because I am going veggie doesn't mean I want to make my cats and dogs go veggie. To me that is cruel. I would never advise it. If you are worried that your pet food doesn't contain real meat. Talk to your vet. We special order are cat and dog food, and it is all natural with real meat. Or another option is a health food store. You can buy cat and dog food from there too. Like for example an all natural health food store near me is called Trader Joes. And they sell dog and cat food. They are just not meant to go veggie.

We also feed our cats all natural food. It is Organic.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
oh... okay. i will look into that.

thank you everyone

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Thanks very much, Josephine!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.