PDA

View Full Version : Feedback needed - C&C in an alcove

PhoenixFeather
07-29-07, 08:40 am
We have a 32" x 64" alcove where we want to build a C&C cage for our soon-to-be new piggie (she is only 2 weeks old, and not yet weaned from her mommy). That size is perfect for a 2x4 cage, and we'd probably put an upper level on it too. But, one potential issue is that the alcove is enclosed on 3 sides and only open on one of the short ends. So, we wouldn't be able to reach the back of the cage! We could get into the cage for cleaning, as shown in XXXXXXXXX but just to take out a piggie, that wouldn't be optimal. Do you think the piggie would learn to come to us if we were offering food, or can you think of any other way to salvage this perfect little space for our piggie?

Thanks!

PiggyPaws
07-29-07, 09:29 am
Do you have a picture that you could post of the alcove? If it is on the floor would it be possible to attach wheels and just wheel it out when you need to?

I'm not sure about training your pig to come to you but I do know that some people's pigs do it anyway, I'm sure someone else can help you with that.

PhoenixFeather
07-29-07, 11:26 am
I'll try to post a photo later, but I don't think wheels will work because (a) it is on carpet, and (b) I think it's unlikely that the floor in front of the alcove area would often be clear enough to allow the cage to be pulled out.

So... the question I was wondering about is... is it practical to have a cage where you can't reach the whole thing from the outside?

wickedrodent
07-29-07, 12:55 pm
I think you should try it out.. if it doesn't work, you can always move it. My pigs come out during veggie time, and let me pet them and pick them up.. The only thing I think might be a problem is when you would clean it. If you are tall, it might work well for you..

Lemonjello
07-29-07, 02:02 pm
If the cage is on the ground, one level and you can walk inside to clean, maybe. Otherwise I would say to find another space. I am very tall and I cannot reach across four grids.

PhoenixFeather
07-29-07, 05:31 pm
I am thinking of putting a second level in the back or on one side, so we could get into the cage to clean it. I know I won't be able to reach the back. I'm just wondering how much of a problem not being able to reach it normally will be.

aqh88
07-29-07, 07:48 pm
I'd find somewhere else to put the cage. I don't think having only 1 short side open to the room is a good idea. The pigs can't really see much, you can't see them very well, you can't reach them, you can't clean the cage easily, and I almost wonder if having 3 solid sides would cause ventilation issues. There at least can't be a whole lot of airflow into that little corner. Most guinea pigs are not going to stand there and let you pick them up. In fact most of the time you have to chase them around the cage and into a house. I have had 2 pigs out of 20 that didn't run away when I put my hand around or under them and even then they'd occasional make a last escape attempt as I was lifting them off the ground. Personally unless you can't find any other option I'd place it elsewhere. Perhaps shove something else into that corner so you can fit the cage in it's place.

Rachel's Cavy Cove
07-31-07, 08:53 am
I know everyone might not agree with me on this but since you are only having 1 piggie and the short end is the one sticking out why not make a 2x3 instead of a 2x4. It would be shorter and you can reach better. my 2 pigs live in a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft and it works well for them. 2x3 is an acceptable size for up to 2 pigs. That might solve your dilemma.

catzeye21138
07-31-07, 10:12 am
In order to reach the piggies how about a variation of this: http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1708/cat/2
Or maybe a cage that is 1 grid deep everywhere and have it run along the walls? Or 2 grids deep even. Just make it run along enough walls that it comes up to standard hehe.

VoodooJoint
07-31-07, 10:33 am
Or maybe a cage that is 1 grid deep everywhere and have it run along the walls?
1 grid deep is not wide enough. When it's that narrow it's hard for the pigs to make their turns if they are running laps not to mention it will feel crowded to them if they want some alone time but can't find a corner or area to get away because the other pigs have to pass too close when they pass by.

aqh88
07-31-07, 11:09 am
I would definitely not make a cage any less than 2 grids wide. Even 2 grids kinda feels too narrow to me and mine is 2 1/2 grids wide so I can still reach across but isn't as narrow. At 1 grid wide they can't make the corners and have to stop and turn around when running but they also can't walk around their houses. Pigs quite hate to be blocked by a house and will always shove the houses so that they are just far enough away from the wall or other obstacles to let them pass on all sides. With 2 grids wide there is barely enough space to allow pigs to pass on all sides of most houses without shoving them everytime. With any less than that they'll have to move the house to run past and will be constantly shoving houses around because they aren't happy with the location.

TX_2_Pigs
07-31-07, 12:08 pm
ISo... the question I was wondering about is... is it practical to have a cage where you can't reach the whole thing from the outside?

My opinion.... No.

You can still use wheels with carpet but the fact that you say the floor space in front of the alcove will always be cluttered and therefore make it impossible to pull the cage out makes me wonder how you plan to get close enough to the cage to clean it, or get your piggy out, or give it food?

The other thing is, I had a house that had a small alcove once and it was a very weird and unusable space. And it was dark. And there probably isn't going to be enough ventilation for it. I would opt for a different location.

PhoenixFeather
07-31-07, 10:44 pm
You can still use wheels with carpet but the fact that you say the floor space in front of the alcove will always be cluttered and therefore make it impossible to pull the cage out makes me wonder how you plan to get close enough to the cage to clean it, or get your piggy out, or give it food?

There is a big difference between having a few feet clear to get in front of the cage to interact with piggies, and having enough space to wheel a 5-foot cage out of its alcove. If we were going to keep a cage-sized space clear all the time, we could just keep the cage there ;-)

I think we are going to give it a try there, and move it if necessary. The space is light and non-drafty, and doesn't seem to be particularly lacking in air circulation (though I'm not sure how to really confirm that last piece).

The thing about having to get into it to clean it is that it means it has to be on the floor, which I know is non-optimal, though I have to say that having it up higher makes me nervous in case the piggy tries to climb or jump out! (It is a baby.)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!