Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties New Rat Momma

SuzieQ33

Cavy Slave
Hi there. Ive been a member of the site awihile. I used to have cavies. I know better about impulse pets and I did something I knew not to do. Last week after my therapy session I went to the evil petstore and bought a friend. The first thing i did wrong was walk into the store...second was I bought a baby girl rat. and I now know only getting one was wrong too. but I dont know how to fix this situation. The cage I got is too small for two and I dont know about introducing another one at this point and I dont know if I can even keep two....I have researched the proper food to get for her and will order what I can from a good pet store I know of that doesnt sell animals and promotes adoption and stuff. Any advise or help would be welcome.

SuzieQ33

Cavy Slave
Perhaps when I get the larger cage I can use the current cage for a new girl to make sure there arent any illness I should be aware of and then I can get the two together. I hope that girls wouldnt fight as much as males. :?:

newpiggiemama

Cavy Slave
Ah! No buying petstore rats! There is ALWAYS illness, or bad tempurments!

Now that you have one, you MUST get her a friend. Rats are so very social they really cant live alone. Try your best to make a cage or buy a cage. Make sure you quarentine in a seperate air space for 3 weeks. Dont buy her friend from the petstore. There are so many rat rescues its rediculas. Where are you located? I can help you find one. What are you feeding her? Harlan Teklad Lab blocks are great, and you can also search on google.com Sue Bees Rat Mix. Its fantastic. It also rules out having to buy from a petstore at all! lol What kind of bedding are you using? How old is your rattie? I hope I helped!

SuzieQ33

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advise. I did get a new larger cage that can easily house two rats. But when I got it the pet store was out of babies. Yes I had to go back to the evil pet store cause I looked for weeks to find a rescue female and none in my area. Not even a breeder. Im right now in the Sparks NV area. but I will be relocating to the Seattle WA area in a couple of months. Also will be staying with my family there while I get healthy and on my feet again. Mom will accept Pixie...mostly cause I wont not bring her but said no to another one. As I had no way of getting the right one now I agreed. On Ratzrule they said if you can spend up to four hours a day with your friend they should be ok alone. I of course would love to get a baby Jumbo, or dumbo ears or even a rex....actually any would be fine. This will have to happen later on. Pixies spay opperation is on thursday. That will help reduce her chance of getting mammory tumors. the vet recomended an oxbow food for her that is much better than the others. Since I used oxbow with my guinea pigs I was happy to stay with that brand. I use carefresh in the lower part of her cage that sits in a plastic litter pan. I have fleece and towels on the rest of the cage floor cause it came with wire shelves. Everything else that came with solid platforms had wire too far apart for a female rat....specially a baby. It came with a bad wheel as well but its welded to the cage so Ive secured it, and now have a soft ferret tunnel inside it streching across the cage....she seems very happy.

Ah! No buying petstore rats! There is ALWAYS illness, or bad tempurments!

Now that you have one, you MUST get her a friend. Rats are so very social they really cant live alone. Try your best to make a cage or buy a cage. Make sure you quarentine in a seperate air space for 3 weeks. Dont buy her friend from the petstore. There are so many rat rescues its rediculas. Where are you located? I can help you find one. What are you feeding her? Harlan Teklad Lab blocks are great, and you can also search on google.com Sue Bees Rat Mix. Its fantastic. It also rules out having to buy from a petstore at all! lol What kind of bedding are you using? How old is your rattie? I hope I helped!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The best rat blocks are Harlan Teklad blocks. Oxbow is ok to use but they also need fresh foods too. A bit of veggies daily and fruit a couple times per week.

I use Harlan Teklad blocks daily, Suebee's mix every other day, fresh veggies daily rotated around, fruits and they normally think they have to have a bite of whatever I eat too. I also give boiled eggs occasionally, tuna and other fish/seafoods and chicken/turkey occasionally. Hard shelled nuts are good for teeth too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.