Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Hypothetically Speaking

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
What if everyone became a vegetarian?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you have a problem with vegetarianism, THIS ISN'T THE FORUM FOR YOU.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit-
I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH VEGETARIANISM ---I AM A VEGETARIAN!!! I am asking what would happen to all of the animals if everyone became a vegetarian.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why? .........

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
Because I was thinking on it. I mean think about it. If no one ate any meat or used any animal product, then farmers would certainly quit keeping them (and killing them YAY). If it were to all happen at once I wonder what would happen to all of those animals/carcases/meat? But would the cow, the chicken, the sheep, the pig, etc survive? I think that they may be used for showing, but is that based still on the meat industry?

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
ooh they could sell the little animals cheap for pets and i would keep flocks of sheep and goats in my big backyard!! =:)

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Well for one the world will never stop using meat because our pets Cats and Dogs for example need meat in their pet food to survive.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
well, lillouisangel, there is NO WAY that everybody in the world is going to become vegetarian. simply no way. at least not in this life time. so thinking about the answer to that question is almost as ridiculous as deciding what we would do with our huge c&c cages if one day all the guinea pigs in the world sprouted into fruitless beanstalks.

Its not going to happen, so discussing it "hypothetically" is sort of pointless.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
She was just asking!

Treen

Cavy Slave
It's just supply and demand - there are only so many animals bred to be butchered because the supply (i.e. people wanting to eat them) is there. If everyone stopped eating them, the animals that are alive already would eventually die out, and the breeding programs would have been altered or phased out in the meantime.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
Thank you Piglet. And thank you Treen, that was more the direction I was heading. I'm not stupid or anything I do realize that the world is not going to *poof* all become vegetarians tomorrow (or ever for that matter). My point is that if you are pushing for everyone to do something (ie stop eating meat) that you should think about the consequences if you were to actually succeed. I was pondering over whether anyone would keep these animals (to any significan degree) if it were not for profit.

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Rocinante

Cavy Slave
lilouisianagal said:
What if everyone became a vegetarian?
I was wondering if vegetarians realized that humans evolved when they started hunting animals because they had to think of the most effective ways to catch their prey. Can you deny thousands of years of evolution?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
"humans evolved when they started hunting animals because they had to think of the most effective ways to catch their prey."

Care to quote the scientific research that supports that claim?

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
Rocinante said:
I was wondering if vegetarians realized that humans evolved when they started hunting animals because they had to think of the most effective ways to catch their prey. Can you deny thousands of years of evolution?
Yes, Rocinante, we have developed as a people who eat meat, but at this point in time is it really neccessary? It would be more cost effective per acre if we were to grow soy, which when properly prepared is nearly indisinguishable from animal products, though so much healthier. As a nation struggling with heath and obesity, why do we insist on the less cost effective and more damaging method of obtaining protein? I find the neccessity for meat and animal products understandable in third world and developing countries, because most of their populations need the added fats and nutrition contained in animal meat.

Rocinante

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
"humans evolved when they started hunting animals because they had to think of the most effective ways to catch their prey."

Care to quote the scientific research that supports that claim?
Any book on anthropology will do.

Rocinante

Cavy Slave
lilouisianagal said:
Yes, Rocinante, we have developed as a people who eat meat, but at this point in time is it really neccessary? It would be more cost effective per acre if we were to grow soy, which when properly prepared is nearly indisinguishable from animal products, though so much healthier. As a nation struggling with heath and obesity, why do we insist on the less cost effective and more damaging method of obtaining protein? I find the neccessity for meat and animal products understandable in third world and developing countries, because most of their populations need the added fats and nutrition contained in animal meat.
I don't know if it is still necessary to eat meat. Wasn't there a recent case where parents caused their infant child medical problems by putting him on a strict vegeterian diet?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any book on anthropology will do.

Sorry, no it won't.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
ok, guys, im sorry. my post yesterday was really rude. i was in a bad mood after a huge fight with my best friend (and we're still in silence treatment) and i was lashing out at everyone around me. i feel really bad, lilouisangel, that you were subject to it as well. you shouldnt have been, and if theres any way i can make it up, let me know!

yesterday wasnt such a good day. oh well...........

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.