Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Meet Your Meat video

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
I was a strict vetetarian for a little over three years (One of my main reasons that I told people was because I wanted to become a large animal vet and I thought it would be very hypocritical to save a cow's life then go home and eat a hamburger) I had also heard many "facts" about slaughter, many of which are based on a few [horrible] cases. I don't particularly enjoy the taste of meat either. One of the main reasons that I could not get through the pre-vet curriculum is that you are required to take a "meat and slaughter" class. But before I left that major I did take an animal science class. It studied the agriculture industry both as a whole and each animal classification. At first it was disgusting, but I learned a lot about the industry not tainted by one view or the other. Many of the things in the meet your meat video are the exception and not the rule. Much of their wording will lead you to believe that nearly all farmers do something (ie beat, neglect, abuse their animals), though it is not. Farmers are not going to let diseases spread ramantly if they can avoid it because a sick animal yields less meat. There are many holes and inconsistancies in the video's logic if you think from a farmer's point of view. If I have time, I will try to go thru point by point on the video and either concur with them or show facts to dispove them. Sorry if this jumped around I'll try to make my next post more organized.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Before you get too carried away, let me say this forum IS about being a vegetarian for a whole variety of reasons. If you choose not to be a vegetarian or support other vegetarians, you don't need to participate in this forum. If you want to refute PETA's efforts, this isn't the forum for it.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
If someone decides to be a vegetarian shouldn't they have all the facts not just what PETA feeds them? Don't get me wrong here, I do not want to see animals suffering for our sake, and I do want to see improvement in the industry, but part of fixing it is knowing what is going on.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
PETA-TV video: Reasons to become a Vegetarian

I'm not going to say it too many more times. This is a PRO-VEGETARIAN, PRO-ANIMAL RIGHTS, PRO-PETA, PRO-ANIMAL WELFARE forum.

If you don't like it, you can go to the gazillion forums where you can argue your heart out. This isn't it.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
I am not argueing against BEING a vegetarian.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
And yes I have watched that video already.
Reasons 1-3: Heart disease begins in childhood, A vegetarian diet reverses heart disease, Eating meat and dairy makes you fat.-
I agree and this is more the reason that I am still a vegetarian. But actually drinking milk helps you loose weight.
Reason 4: You shouldn't have to lie to your kids about the food that you eat-
I don't really understand this reason, because I knew from when I was a child that beef was a dead cow, chicken was a..... ; but I do plan on raising my family vegetarian.
Reason 5: In every package of chick there is a little bit of poop-
This is kind of a silly reason because plants are not exactly the cleanest thing either, thats why you wash and cook what you eat.
Reason 6: Meat is filthy and bloody-
What they consider filthy I'm not sure, and of course it it bloody.
Reason 7: It isnt fair-
This isn't really a reason. I'm guessing that they are saying that animals can't defend themselves but the same is true in their natural environment in many cases.
Reason 8: No animal should have to see her family slaughtered-
Most animals don't see their family killed. This is more of an emotion jerker than anything...and it so works on me.
Reason 9: Meat can cause impotence-
I haven't really researched this but I clump it with reasons 1-3 which are perfectly legit.
Reason 10: Mad cow disease is in the US-
This was my first reason for going vegetarian when I visited England, and is one big reason that I don't eat beef. But they are inspecting for this as one of their main points.
Reason 11: It is violence we can stop-

Very true, though it will take a lot to stop it completely and quite honestly it will probably never happen.
Reason 12: No one should have to make a living by killing-
I agree, though remember that they could find a job elsewhere.
Reason 13: It takes a small person to beat an animal, and an even smaller person to eat an animal-
Most people are just ignorant to it or don't want to make the change. Not really a defence but that is what people say.
Reason 14: Nothing should have to die for your tastebuds-
I agree. Meat tastes icky anyway, soy is so much yummier.
Reason 15: The grain used to feed them [animals] could feed them [X amount of starving people]-
This stunned me the first time I heard it. Logistics are a bit shady on this though. But it is sad.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
*cowers* please don't chew me out or kick me out for that.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
lilouisianagal,

Do I have to draw a picture for you? Please take your counter-points to the PETA information elsewhere. I wanted to stop reading your post as soon as you said this: "But actually drinking milk helps you loose weight." You said you had already seen this video? Perhaps you missed the Chew On This page from whence it came (https://www.goveg.com/feat/chewonthis/) where the points are explained.

For the LAST time, this is NOT the forum to debate the PETA content. Further such posts will be moderated. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.