PDA

View Full Version : Cage Questions

PrincessAngel
07-18-07, 03:49 pm
This weekend I am going to build my C&C cage.I believe I'm making it by myself unless one of my friends decides they can come over.So the first question is... Will it be hard to build by myself?Next questions is where is the best place to put the ramp on their 2x4 two story cage?Can I use a rubber bath math to cover the ramp? Is a C&C cage easy to fold down if we need to take it to a different house?(we are moving soon) Does the cage need to be on a stand? How many guinea pigs would fit in a 2x4 complete 2 story cage?(we might get another pig) I think thats it. Thanks for any help.

~Java and Angelicas owner

PrincessAngel
07-18-07, 04:43 pm
Anyone want to help?

piggiesinpa
07-18-07, 04:58 pm
In my opinion, it's not hard to do alone. You just need to make sure you practice cutting coroplast on a scrap piece before you actually do the bigger piece so you won't mess it up. I would PREFER to have help just because I like input from others, but it's not absolutely necessary.

There are tons of places to put the second story (and ramps) in cages. It's really just about preference. You just want to make sure the ramp is not too steep and is easily accessible for both the ups and downs the pigs will be making.

A rubber bath mat sounds like a good idea, but are you talking about bath mat that has rubber on both sides or just the bottom? As long as they have traction and are able to run up and down easily (and you aren't hurting their feet) then it should be fine.

C and C is very easy to deal with. Cubes come right apart and you can score (not COMPLETELY cut through) the back of your coroplast so it can fold until you get to your destination. This is how they are mailed, after all.

It is suggested that the cage be on a stand because on the floor everything is towering the pig and above them which can make them more skittish as they are prey animals. However, it's not completely necessary. If you are careful of your piggies fear of things and sit on the floor beside them when you interact with them (play, feed, water, etc) then it should be okay. If you know a lot happens in the place they are going to be where it would scare them, then it might be a better idea to go ahead and bring them up to your level.

A 2x4 is okay for 2 piggies. If you have another 2x4 on top I think that would be okay for 3 piggies, but if you only have a little section on top then I wouldn't have anymore piggies.

PrincessAngel
07-18-07, 05:05 pm
Thanks. It a bath mat with rubber on both sides. Its a dollar so i can get plenty if needed.I think I will ahve my dad cut the main coroplast but I'll cut the scraps for hideyhuts and such.They are on the floor now and aren't to scared. I get down to them and feed and play with them though.The only thing we have that I could put their new cage on is the base of their old cage.The top is almsot a complete 2x4 not like a loft. The only problem with bringing them up to my level is it would still seem like some people are towering over them because everyone else is taller than me.I'm not sure we will ahve enoguh cubes left to make a stand but we might.

CavyHubby
07-18-07, 07:03 pm
Well just a piece of advice, from someone that had to re-make their wifes' cage. You need to make extra sure you can reach all areas of the cage. Piggies can be very hard to catch, and the cage even harder to clean. I ended up having to move the 2nd level up .5 grid for rear cage acess. The rest of the information for C&C building is right here, You just need to surf a bit!!
Good Luck!

PrincessAngel
07-18-07, 08:05 pm
Well just a piece of advice, from someone that had to re-make their wifes' cage. You need to make extra sure you can reach all areas of the cage. Piggies can be very hard to catch, and the cage even harder to clean. I ended up having to move the 2nd level up .5 grid for rear cage acess. The rest of the information for C&C building is right here, You just need to surf a bit!!
Good Luck!
To reach all areas Id have to have the cage on the floor or maybe 5 inches or so off the ground.My pigs aren't very hard to catch.

JennG
07-18-07, 08:41 pm
I think having it on the floor shouldn't be a problem. I have mine up off the floor because they're in my son's room in the finished part of the basement and I feel better if they're not on the floor. But I've seen alot of members have their cages on the floor.

As far as the ramp coverings, I've found cheap Walmart rugs for around 80 cents a piece. I have 2 bent grids that I've zip tied together and I zip tied and extra piece of coroplast to it. I then take the cheap rug and attached it with binder clips. This way I can easily remove the rug and wash it. I have to have my ramp in a U shape because one of my girls is completely blind and it's for her safety. I think I have a picture of my ramp in my gallery.

As far as moving goes, I'm redoing my cage (again) and I'm trying to get it so when we move (in the near future), it will be easy to take apart. I'm thinking of doing a 3 (or 4) level 2x4 cage. There will be a base. I'm building each level including the base separately. Then I have to figure out how I'm going to attach them together. Confused? Yeah, me too! Good luck and hopefully some of this has helped.

PrincessAngel
07-18-07, 09:17 pm
I will see if we have extra cubes when I build the cage in a few days.The ramp I'm goign to make is 2 bent grids with coroplast and I guess the rubber matting over it.I wont have to wash the rubber mat.I am going to make the cage but it may not be so simple so it may be hard to take apart in a few weeks when we move.

JennG
07-18-07, 09:28 pm
I think if you do a 2x4 without a level or base (at this point) and use alot of zip ties that it will be easy to move in a few weeks. Once you've moved, you can always do the base and top level.

Lemonjello
07-18-07, 09:28 pm
If you are moving in two weeks, how about doing the 2x4 for the piggies and waiting on the rest of it?

PrincessAngel
07-18-07, 10:20 pm
If you are moving in two weeks, how about doing the 2x4 for the piggies and waiting on the rest of it?
Because I don't know when we are exactly moving.And its easier for me to cat proof if theres a second fllor. And I want my pigs to get used to a ramp.

PrincessAngel
07-19-07, 10:51 am
I think if you do a 2x4 without a level or base (at this point) and use alot of zip ties that it will be easy to move in a few weeks. Once you've moved, you can always do the base and top level.
See the problem is once we move I wont have time to do all that.It would be eaiser to build the whole thing and take it apart and put it back together than to have to add the other level.

JennG
07-19-07, 04:42 pm
Well, then I guess my advice would be to build each level separately. That way when you move, hopefully, each level can be taken apart individually. That's what I'm trying to do now. I have black grids that I'm going to use black zipties on and when I attach the levels to each other, I'm planning on using white/clear zipties. So, when we move, I can just cut the clear zipties. Make sense??

PrincessAngel
07-19-07, 04:48 pm
Well, then I guess my advice would be to build each level separately. That way when you move, hopefully, each level can be taken apart individually. That's what I'm trying to do now. I have black grids that I'm going to use black zipties on and when I attach the levels to each other, I'm planning on using white/clear zipties. So, when we move, I can just cut the clear zipties. Make sense??
Thats what I was thinking of doing making each level sperately. I think we are only using the zip ties for the door. But I get what you are saying.

naturegal592
07-25-07, 12:43 pm
See the problem is once we move I wont have time to do all that.It would be eaiser to build the whole thing and take it apart and put it back together than to have to add the other level.
If you use zip ties instead of the cube connectors on all corners you can use them as hinges. All you'll have to do is lift the cage off of the coroplast and fold the cage flat for the move.