Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, newbie here

JustSmile

Cavy Slave
Hello,

My name is Jordan and I am new to the forums. I bought my first guinea pigs around three years ago. One for me and one for my sister. Unfortunately, my sister's guinea pig died a few months back, but I still have mine. He's adorable.

At the moment he lives outside in a hutch but because his companion has gone (my sister's guinea pig) I am looking into buying an indoor cage for him. I don't know if that will help at all but I would also prefer him to be indoors. :)

'Hi' from me :)

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! :)

First of all, I think it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to house your piggy indoors from now on. Here are a couple links to help you understand why:

Guinea Lynx :: Housing
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...e-breeding-care-housing-disaster-threads.html
(scroll down the page for the relevant housing info in the last link)

Also, now that your piggy is alone you should consider getting him a new buddy so he isn't lonely. Here is a little info about a guinea pig's social life:

Guinea Lynx :: Companionship
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

There are hundreds of guinea pigs available for adoption across the country, and I'm sure you can find a lovable, sweet piggy in need of a good home. Check petfinder.com to get started.

I know you've had your piggy for a while and some of this information might be redundant for you, but I thought I should provide it nevertheless. Unfortunately many pet stores and internet sites don't provide accurate info on the care of guinea pigs. This site, as well as Guinea Lynx, are the best sources of information you can find online and I'm sure you'll be able to learn something new here! Have a look at the sticky threads in each forum because they are especially helpful.

Michelle

JustSmile

Cavy Slave
Thanks very much for all of the information. I will check out those links. And thank you for the welcome :)

avcavies

Cavy Slave
Yes, welcome! Good luck with your piggy!

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums. Also I agree with having them inside. Also it is so much fun watching them and you spend in the long run more time with them.

JustSmile

Cavy Slave
Thank you :) At the moment I'm just trying to persuade my Mum that it's best for them inside (she's a bit scared of small rodents)

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Thank you :) At the moment I'm just trying to persuade my Mum that it's best for them inside (she's a bit scared of small rodents)

My dad is and was a little nervous of them. But once she gets the feel of them...they are great. They usually don't bite at all and are very cuddly. I'm sure after some time she will get used to having the piggy's around.

JustSmile

Cavy Slave
My dad is and was a little nervous of them. But once she gets the feel of them...they are great. They usually don't bite at all and are very cuddly. I'm sure after some time she will get used to having the piggy's around.

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for...but at the moment she seems to want to keep them in a hutch as she doesn't really understand why it's necessary to have them indoors. I might show her this thread :)

^dawn^

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome. I'm sorry your piggy lost his friend. There is a lot of information here. Hope you enjoy.

JustSmile

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome. I'm sorry your piggy lost his friend. There is a lot of information here. Hope you enjoy.

Thank you.

Yes, this forum seems a really great place for helpful information :)

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Thank you.

Yes, this forum seems a really great place for helpful information :)

It does have lots of information. Learn something new everyday it seems.

CavyLover94

Cavy Slave
My piggies are inside as well. Welcome to the site!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.