Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Hay problems this year

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I've just been on the phone to Bunny Basics asking if/when they would get any more meadow hay. Their answer was that they have sold out of last year's stock and have been told by their suppliers that this year's crop is ruined. They warned me that the quality of UK grown meadow hay this year is likely to be very poor. I get their 2nd cut Timothy to go in the hay rack but it's too expensive to be a recreational hay and my piggies are used to very large quantities of meadow hay on the cage floor to play in.:sad:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Oh POO! I have been hanging back a bit for hay, though just ordered another lot from Thistle, as am running out fast. I had noticed the 'bulk' hay I buy (cheaper than the Timothy) has been browner and harder - and the girls aren't appreciating it - I mix in the Timothy to make it go further.

I have ordered some rye too - which I haven't tried them on before - it is such a costly business! I imagine that it will be similar for most places (it seems to have been raining all over!) but might be worth shopping around. I'll let you know if I find anything anywhere!

Were you affected badly by the flooding - or are you high enough to have escaped?

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
We're on a hill so we didn't get flooded. Some shops at the bottom got flooded, not by streams bursting their banks, but by the roads turning into rivers as the drains didn't cope and the water rushed downhill. We were very lucky compared to north and east Sheffield which had (and are still having) an awful time.The streams were dangerous, swollen torrents and a boy from the local school was killed when he fell in.

Actually I missed the most dramatic bits as I spent that Monday in London (at a meeting about climate change!). I only realised that anything was going on when I got to the station and found no trains running north of Derby. I finally got home Wednesday afternoon.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Hmm, doesn't sound very good. Lately I've been getting some posh stuff sourced in Devon (Natures Best) and it is much nicer than the stuff from the pet shop. (Which, incidentally, they've stopped selling cos apparantly it had mites in :eek:hmy:). Maybe I should get a bale just in case there's isn't any nice stuff later on.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
That explains why the timothy and rye I got from the hay experts was snubbed by my girls then! Will this affect things like Simply Grass and Readigrass do you know?

I feed all the Oxbow hays so there's always that as an option if the UK supply is short.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I would guess that the timothy and rye you had problems with was probably the last of the crop from last year (so a bit tired and brown). Usually in the UK the grass for hay would be cut in late June during a period when it's expected to be dry for a few days as the grass is left to dry in the field after being cut but before being baled. So this year the grass is wet, the fields are flooded, there is no dry period forecast and the grass is getting ruined while it's still in the field.

The second cut timothy I get is imported (my piggies don't like Oxbow timothy) but don't really want to get all imported hay on environmental grounds and they really like meadow hay. The Hay Experts still have some of the Devon Hay so I'll stock up on that. I'm just a bit concerned that availability might get more restricted later in the year. I can only store a certain amount of hay! And if I order meadow hay from one place and timothy from somewhere else I get hit for two lots of postage.

As for simply grass/readigrass, I think that they are artificially dried so, if it's ever dry enough to cut the grass, they may not be as affected.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
My girls absolute and utter favorite is the simply grass. I really nhope it is not affected, but it is a real worry re. the UK homegrown hays!

This has been an unbelievably wet summer so far. Lets hope that the powers that be sit up and do something about the obvious cooking of the icecaps!

CDErin

Cavy Slave
I know loads of people who are having trouble getting hay due to it being the end of last years, all looking foward to new hay but the rain deffinately seems to be putting a stop to that. My hay is locally grown and we havnt been too bad here (no flooding, just lots of rain) so fingers crossed itll be ok. Im tempted to get dad to order 6 months or so supply (about 30 bags)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Just found this on the site I was recommended for ivermectin.

(broken link removed)

I have never tried the hay - but thought that the price was pretty good (not sure how much postage is - but they do sell Timothy,other hays and piggy stuff too (though mostly Oxbow).

Also found this page which may be useful when trying to locate hay:

(broken link removed)

muffin

Cavy Slave
West Wales Willows might have some, as another option.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
We never really think about this kind of thing, do we? We just tend to take hay for granted. If I find any decent hay I will have to stock up! Thanks for the extra links Jane and muffin.

triskelecavies

Cavy Slave
we also haveing problems this year and it is getting very dear to buy as well xx

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Its very weird as I noticied today my readigrass was a bit harder and was just weird.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.