Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Toy Ideas???

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I would love to make some toys for my cavies - Sugar & Spice - now that I have their new cage and there is a lot more room.

I have had a look here on cavy spirit and found a link to toys. But the page isn't up and running yet, so I'll have to wait for that. I did a google search, but most of the toys were for buy.

I know Guinea Pigs love to have hidey houses and tunnels, and I already have a hidey house and I am currently in the process of making a tunnel. But I would love to have something to prehapes hang up, or a ball for them to actually play with, not rest in.

Anyway, I'd love some ideas and suggestions, so please answer!

If there is a sort of age limit to toys, and you need to know my piggies ages, I have a three week old baby Guinea Pig (Sugar) and a cavy of about six or so weeks. They are both females.

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
One thing I always do is put some hay in an old sock. My girls usually like that. I've never tried a ball before. I wouldn't suggest anything foamy like, because they'd probably chew it. I bet my girls would like a ball to roll around, I'll have to try to find one that would work.

Slave to the Rose

Cavy Slave
My girls have two favorite 'toys' that arn't really toys but they love them.
Their favorite is a shoe box filled with hay. They love taking turns hoping in it and eating the hay.
Their other favorite is their treat holder. I strung a string across the cage and tied a paper clip in the middle. It is about 4 or 5 inches off the cage floor. I then clip treats to it. They have fun stretching to reach it and trying to pull it down as they eat it.

As a general rule I'd say NEVER spend more that $3 on a toy. Chances are they'd love a tunnel made of cardboard. My girls love chancing eachother through a maze I made of cardboard boxes. I put little treats and hay in different places and they run piggy train through it. Very cute to watch!

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Wow, thanks for your helpful ideas everyone, they are fantastic.

I read the link all over and so did my Mum. We put a tenis ball in the cage (which Sugar loves to roll around on, and Spice likes to sit on, but she falls off a bit) and a paper bag filled with hay for Sugar and Spice to cuddle up in.

I'm going to make more toys - like the string-the-treat toy, and I might even add some socks with hay as well as the paper bags in their upstairs section for a lounge room deluxe.

Thanks for the ideas, and if anybody else has any ideas, please post!

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
I put my old soft toys in their cages and they absolutely love it. Funny thing is my male guinea pig likes to jump onto his soft toy. It is soooo cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.