Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ghetto Fab Cage

Feather_n_Coca

Cavy Slave
I so Ghetto Fab'd my Boys cage. I got them on short notice, so I "just knew" that I could create a cage as good as my girls's who has the C&C cage.

So I go to Target and get the cubes (in White), put down puppy pads and put the cage on the pads, poured in Aspen Shavings and added Piggies. Well that worked for bout a couple of days and then I went to Home Depot and bought the materials "I thought" I needed to make the most magnificant cage ever.

Yeah right. I buy a piece of plywood (remind me the next time I get a bright idea to take measurements), then I went to the vinyal flooring department and purchased 16 self adhesive vinyal flooring squares. I bring all this home and "assemble". Yeah ok. Its looks like a sicence project that went terribly wrong. The tiles break. What did I expect its cheap and then find out that the plywood is not wide enough for a 2x3 cage. But that doesnt stop me, (most sane people by now would have given up and bought Coroplast---NOT ME). So I take what I have and put the cage on the plywood/tile concoction and add shavings, piggies and all thier getup.

So now I have this huge mess of shavings in my floor! There are more shaving around the cage then IN the cage!!! Why? I forgot to add the borders. So guess what I did? You guessed it. I went onto Ebay and bought the Coroplast. Now I am just waiting for it to be delivered so my boys wont be embarrased to live in a Ghetto Fab home.

So the moral of this story is just to log onto Ebay and buy it the first time.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
It's much easier to call a few sign stores and buy coroplast directly from them instead of having to buy it from an auction and have it shipped.

Isis108

Cavy Slave
We didn't do the research before getting ours so we still have messes everywhere just from the "droppings." We'll finally be able to order the coroplast next Friday... after having them for about two months. Now we have newborns and they slip right through the grids, so we had to cut a box to line the cage. LOL It's just a little ghetto! lol

MissCin

Cavy Slave
lol. I'm sorry to hear this. Did you get everything fixed? For the botton & top of the cage I used 'dry wall' ($5 a piece) or something like that. I took measurements and bought it. The one for the botton of the cage is lined with floor tiles that I bought from the dollar store! On top of that I have newpaper, towels, and then fleece (which is why I don't need 'borders") and the other piece I use as on top of the cage so that my cats can't get in there.

Good luck. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.