Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

fancy mouse and wild mouse

Kevin K

Cavy Slave
well I have had a fancy mouse for over a year, and one day I looked in there and theres another mouse in the cage, I went to get it out and lazlo the fancy mouse bit my finger, everytime I try to get it out he nearly kills me. do you think he might be pretecting a female, if it is a female I need to get it out, any advice?

Kevin K

Cavy Slave
here is a picture, the wild mouse burows under the ratgloo :) and thats lazlo in the middle

samoews

Cavy Slave
Wow, I think you need to do whatever it takes to remove that wild mouse from your cage. Maybe you should put on some gloves and take Lazlo out first. The wild mouse could have all kind of creepy crawlies and/or illnesses you don't want Lazlo to catch! Once you have returned the wild mouse to the wild, keep a very close eye on Laz for any symptoms of illness. Good luck!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Put the cage into the bathtub and take it apart if you have to. Catch the wild mouse (not with your hand) and remove it outside. Preferable far away from your house as they will come back inside if you just let them go in the yard.

You do need to get it out as it can carry disease and parasites that your pet mouse can catch. My 2 female mice had a wild male visitor. One became pregnant, both got mites from the male and needed vet treatment because I was terrified that I would be unable to properly dose them with Ivec myself because they are so tiny. Neither was as friendly after the male cane to call and the babies my mouse had were all wild and unhandleable. It was a disaster.

I'm finding it is not all that uncommon for a wild mouse to move into a fancy mouse's cage. Including you it has happened to 3 people on this board. The wild mice can slip right through those bars and are happy as clams with the company and food.

Here are the threads from the other incidences
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/33953-post10.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/cafe/25074-oh-boy-baby-mice-anyone-got-experience.html

Kevin K

Cavy Slave
well I made an appointment at the vet for lazlo, and I isolated the wild mouse in an aquaruim, because there was a white plug in her area, and that means shes pregnant, she eats the food I put out, and drinks the water, I want her to give birth in captivity, so I can see if I can tame the babies, of if their tame keep them, is this a good idea? shes all white with red eyes, almost like the petstore mice, but more ferill.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
The wild mouse is white with red eyes? If so then she's not a wild mouse. She is an escaped domesticated mouse.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Wow - I would never have thought of this scenario in a million years!

What will you do, if like VJs baby mice, they are un-tamable?

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Well, if she has gotten pregnant by the fancy mouse then I wouldn't suggest releasing her until the babies are born and no longer nursing. You can't release a hybrid mouse back into the ecosystem. If they they have varigated coloring, they will stand out and be more readly eaten and if they breed with other wild mice, the problem would only spread.......okay I just read that it is white. Albino coloration can occur in the wild but I would think VJ is correct, it is probably a domesticated mouse and escaped. I never would have thought that you would find a "stranger" mouse in your cage. How did it squeze in but your fancy mouse doesn't squeeze out?

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
How bizarre! You might want to switch cages. If this mouse came in, yours can get out. And yes- albino (white with red eyes) mouse is almost definitely somebody's escaped pet. If I were you, I would take Lazlo to the vet to see if he has caught anything and keep him separated, then when the babies are born they will probably all be patterned or albino (your guy looks like he might be het albino- very light color to him) so not wild and certainly not releasable. Separate the pups at 3-4 weeks or so (male and female, obviously) and if you have male pups, be very careful with them around dad. Male mice can be utterly vicious to each other. In fact, I would say they should probably be in their own cage, probably. So- female cage, baby boy cage, dad cage... you may want to advertise to adopt some out...

sarahnmadison

Cavy Slave
The female does sound like it is an escaped or "released" mouse. You could try to work with her and see if she can be tamed a bit. I don't think you should release her back into the wild. A white mouse makes for an easy target. It may take some work to tame her but may well be worth the effort.

Off topic but actually, you will find a lot of pocket pets who have been released when their owners get tired of them. I had a wild cat we fed playing with a hamster one day.

I caught a domesticated rabbit in my backyard and kept it for a pet for years in my house. A black and white domesticated rabbit in the desert with tons of coyotes would not have painted a pretty picture survival wise. The jackrabbits and cottontails are all brownish in color to blend in with the sand and brush the desert contains so a predator (and there are plenty around here with Bobcats, Coyotes, Hawks, Owls, etc.). would most likely would have spotted it easily. After Easter, there tends to be more of the domesticated rabbits running wild around here. We also had a woman on this forum that found her guinea pig in her backyard pond.

Kevin K

Cavy Slave
funny story, my neighbor I saw him cleaning out cages, and I asked him if he owned mice he said yes, he had 2 male and 2 female, he said one female escaped and he could not find her. I asked what color she was, he said albino with red eyes. I said I have her, I think. He came over and looked and sure enough it was her. I said I would keep her until she gives birth. He said ok and we agreed to split them when their born. she did tame up, i guess she had to get used to her new enviroment, she crawls all over my hand and takes cheerios from my hand. This crazy stuff always happens to me lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.