Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New owners and loving it already!!

ramonesmom

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Well for our son's preschool grad, we got him and us a very handsome and just overall cool guy named Ramone. Shane picked the name and it fits him perfectly. I really wished that I had found this website sooner because we would have done things so differently!! We got Ramone May 28th. The previous day, my husband and I went to PetSmart and PetCo to see what they had. We were thinking about getting a hamster but after doing research on those and finding out they bite, we started looking into Guinea Pigs. When I held Ramone, I wanted to bring him home that day but, we needed to talk to Shane first. I feel that we have been very lucky with him from what I have read in posts. He does not have any mites and his skin looks great. He is eating and drinking good and bowl movements are plentiful!

Today I finished making his C&C home. Once he got in it, he started jumping for joy and talking like crazy. It is a 2X3 grid. I do have a question though. We placed the old small cage on top and have a ramp going up to it. How much of an angle is too much? I am just concerned that he will not be able to go up and down. I wanted to have the top as his bathroom and the bottom for everything else. If I am not able to use the top then the next question is, how easy is it for him to learn to use a litter box? I think that for tonight, I am going to place him on top and then watch him in the morning to see if he can get down the ramp.

Thank you so much for your input and I will post pictures of his new home once I take them.

Stacy

Last edited by a moderator:

thalestral

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad he liked his C&C cage :) Are you going to adopt him a friend?

I don't have any experience with ramps I'm afraid but I can tell you that very few guinea pigs will become toilet trained. You may be able to get them to pee in just the one area most of the time but guinea pigs poo on the go and all the darn time! A kitchen area up on top will encourage him to do a lot of his toilet stuff there though.

ramonesmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks Thalestral. I am not sure as to when we will adopt a friend for Ramone BUT my nephews birthday is in October and guess what he will be getting. He comes over daily to love on Ramone and my sister has thanked me so much. Trav even helped designed the new C&C. Oh I also got the ramp done too. It took me a while to get the angle just right and so far Ramone has gone up half way. I know it might take him a while to go all the way up. Thank you for your reply regarding the toilet training. I have noticed that he is keeping his home dry.

samiam1141

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I'm a newbie too. I hope you find this to be a good place to go when you need help.

Sam

Sopher7132

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I love this site so much and I garauntee you will learn so much! I'm glad you're making him a C&C cage. Being an uneducated piggy owner I had two of my girls in a store bought cage for 5 months!! Then I learned about a C&C cage and I saw a dramatic change in them. They were SO happy! Welcome again! Can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Welcome to the site, its great and even though I only joined a few days ago, I'm loving it and learning heaps.

I bet your son was thrilled with the Guinea Pig. Although pet stores say they are great "first pets" for children, they are not. However, they are great pets for children as long as the adult is the prime care-giver, which in your case is true :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.