Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My conversation at Petsmart

Dark Rosaleen

Cavy Slave
I had an interesting thing happen while shopping for cage accessories at Petsmart yesterday. I overheard a young woman and her companion talking about bedding, and the young lady was uncertain about what kind to get for her guinea pigs. I happened to look over and saw that she was eyeing up the pine. I did something I don't normally do and butted in on her conversation. I told her about Carefresh and how it was better, and that any kind of wood bedding was bad for the pigs.

She seemed happy to get the information, and best of all, she bought the Carefresh!

A thank you to this site for informing me so that I could pass some good information along.

Fay

Cavy Slave
It's great that you helped the young lady get the right bedding, Did you also tell her about this website? One thing though not all wood bedding is bad for pigs.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Some of the wood bedding is fine - aspen, kiln dried pine, etc. NO cedar or raw pine is the basic rule.

Fay

Cavy Slave
In general Carefresh and Fleece is often recommended but like pignewton said some people prefer wood shavings. Just make sure you get the right kind. I personally prefer fleece and then Carefresh but it all depends on what you prefer. I used wood shavings before and it was so messy not to mention it kept getting stuck in their hair and even their private parts!

Melissa82

Cavy Slave
I used wood shavings before and it was so messy not to mention it kept getting stuck in their hair and even their private parts!
I agree. I use aspen for my rats and my bunnies litter box. But, it's not working out well for Spargo

pignewton

Cavy Slave
I totally agree on the Carefresh vs wood stuff. I am working my way through a huge bag of pine and will switch back to Carefresh when its gone. I have changed my litter system and wont need to economize so much. I just wanted to make the OP aware that some wood is okay and is a very cheap way to go for those that cannot afford the other stuff.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's a great thing that you did, but not all pine is bad. If it is kiln-dried and dustfree it is okay, so is aspen. I had something like that happen to me once too, I was at walmart buying piggie food and this person approached me and asked if it was normal for a baby piggie to bite you and then I told her about this site, I just hope she listened to me and actually visited it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.