Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Meet Choco and Walnut (56k warning)

dabears

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,
Finally got around to posting some pictures of our two piggies, Choco and Walnut. Choco is the brown one, and Walnut has the orange butt. Unfortunately, they are both boars approximately a year and a half old give or take a month or two. They both came from PetsMart (I know, we bought, not rescued. My mistake. Regardless, a pig needs to be loved, no matter where he came from). Because they are boars, they do NOT get along, and they fight to bloodshed.
Enough with the sad story, here are some amateur pigtures. By the way, this digital camera is an ancient relic, and it's only like 1 megapixel. Time for an upgrade...

MVC-618F.jpg

This is Choco, checking out a pillow.

MVC-617F.jpg

This is Walnut, wondering what's happening. This is his first time in front of the camera.

MVC-616F.jpg

This is Walnut, who hijacked Choco's bed. We got the bed at Target. Choco really seems to like it.

MVC-615F.jpg

Choco saw Walnut on the floor and wanted to join the party. He never jumped though, thank god.

MVC-614F.jpg

Choco is just looking over the edge in this one. Walnut wasn't in the room at the time.
More pics coming!

dabears

Cavy Slave
Part 2
MVC-613F.jpg

I like big noses and I cannot lie!

MVC-612F.jpg

Walnut cooling down on the tile and under a chair.

MVC-610F.jpg

Choco being tired and getting ready to fall asleep.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
He never jumped though, thank god.

Cute piggies. However, whether they decide to jump off a tall surface and get hurt should never be left up to chance. Please make their play area piggy-proof before letting them explore. (Watch out for electrical outlets and cords, sharp objects, escape routes, items that are dangerous to chew on, other animals, etc.)

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
Because they are boars, they do NOT get along, and they fight to bloodshed.
I hate to tell you but the 'two boars don't get along' saying is a MYTH.
Because they are both boars is not the reason for them not getting along, you likely didn't match up their personality's or misjudged the personality.
Thats why rescues are helpful, they match up personality's.
Regardless of whether they get along, they are adorable.
:)

dabears

Cavy Slave
Oh, I figured our pigs' relationship just solidified the myth. Because we bought them at the store, we didn't really get to judge and get compatible piggies. Oh well.

@envisionary
I shouldn't let my pig hang over the edge like that. Even after a year and a half, I still have a lot learn about taking care of my pigs. I don't see any other hazards in the play area, thankfully.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I hate to tell you but the 'two boars don't get along' saying is a MYTH.
Because they are both boars is not the reason for them not getting along, you likely didn't match up their personality's or misjudged the personality.
Thats why rescues are helpful, they match up personality's.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this statement. Groups of boars are far more likely to have conflicts than groups of females, it is simply the way it works. In the wild, guinea pigs usually live in herds with one male and many females. Males often see one another as competition and feel the need to establish a strict dominance ranking. Females can be dominant as well, but they are far less likely to cause injuries to one another.

Please note that I am not saying that males can never get along. Many people have been able to group two or more males together successfully by giving them a careful introduction on neutral ground. However, the idea of males being more likely to fight than females is NOT a myth.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
However, the idea of males being more likely to fight than females is NOT a myth.
That is not a myth but two boars never being able to live together is a myth. I think that's what Mommy of One was saying. They just need to be matched on age and personality.

dabears, have you tried the buddy bath method to see if your guys could get along? If you give them a buddy bath then intro them on completely neutral ground (an area where they've never been before, such as the bathroom floor) and if they get along, completely clean their cage, wash everything very well and see how they get along in the cage. If you haven't tried this, you may want to try it and see if it will work. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's always worth a try though.

Read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm for more info.

Melissa82

Cavy Slave
The thing I have heard to do is to pair up boars by making sure one is older and the other is younger. Apparently siblings start to fight when they reach sexual maturity. I have a 9 month old piggy right now that I just rescued and plan on getting him an older or younger buddy soon.

dabears

Cavy Slave
@Ly
Yeah, I've tried the buddy bath trick. The pigs just continue to argue, and they spread little bits of urine to mark their territory. This happens every time we introduce them to each other, but more so after a bath and in neutral ground.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
That is not a myth but two boars never being able to live together is a myth. I think that's what Mommy of One was saying. They just need to be matched on age and personality.

Sorry for the misinterpretation! 😊

Fay

Cavy Slave
Very cute piggies! Too bad they don't get along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.