PDA

View Full Version : picky bunny with food.

yogacatbun
06-17-07, 08:39 pm
the only veggie he is interested in is cilantro, and that's not even every day. he gets pellets and has hay but will hardly touch is hay either. what's up with that? any suggestions?

suzilovespiggie
06-18-07, 07:37 pm
Keep trying. Keep introducing new things. Try hand feeding him and see if he will take them from your hand. My two will eat any veggie and fruit you give them. They do eat hay, I have it available at all times. My GP's like the hay better than the rabbits, but they do eat it.

yogacatbun
06-18-07, 09:11 pm
I have only hand fed him as far as the one thing he likes. he doesn't even like fruit as a treat. he loves his pellets though. He always has hey available and still nothing.

suzilovespiggie
06-19-07, 07:29 pm
What is the one thing he likes? Bunnies like GP's need fresh fruits and veggies. Keep trying, one of these days he might just say "yum, this is good. More please." You can also go on the rabbit site that has alot of info that might be helpful. House Rabbits - Behavior, Care, Rescue, Adoption, Education | House Rabbit Society (http://www.rabbit.org)
Reread, your first post and saw he likes cilantro. Try various dark green letteces, like romane, red leaf, or green leaf. Mine love parsley, only they only get it twice a week.

yogacatbun
06-19-07, 07:47 pm
cilantro, and that's only sometimes! I've checked out that site more then a few times. Nothing about picky bunnies though!

Solebomber
06-23-07, 09:13 am
I have only hand fed him as far as the one thing he likes. he doesn't even like fruit as a treat. he loves his pellets though. He always has hey available and still nothing.

As long as he's healthy and in Good condition and eating the pelleted feed I wouldn't stress to much - it may just be that he is getting sufficient nutrients from the pelleted feed and just isn't hungry for the other food stuffs that your offering.

VoodooJoint
06-23-07, 09:37 am
Hay is vitally important to rabbits as it promotes a healthy gut and teeth.

If the rabbit isn't eating hay then it is important that he gets at least 2 "hay days" a week. By this I mean do not give him pellets and instead just give him fresh, unlimited hay (you cam give him his veggies as well on hay days). Try different types if you need to. Your rabbit may like Brome, Orchard/Blue grass, or meadow hays better then timothy.

yogacatbun
06-23-07, 09:39 am
He got half neutered the other day (testy is in his stomach) but had his teeth filed down more and evened out and now he is eating hay! Still no veggies but the hay at least!

shevonne
06-26-07, 12:42 am
I know, my rabbit's the same way. And now I think he has malliclusion (probably not spelled right) as an effect of not eating enough hay.

crazywiggy
06-26-07, 08:16 am
Shevonne - just so you know - not getting enough hay can cause teeth to overgrown as they do not get worn down enough.
Malocclusion is a hereditary problem where the top and bottom teeth do not meet properly, so when the animal eats they do not wear down properly. If the bunny has malocclusion then they will need their teeth clipped regularly for life as no amount of nibbling will wear them down properly. Hope that helps!