Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I got a new piggie!

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
I recently got a new piggie and he is white all over except a spot by his ear but his ears have no fur on them. I cant decide what to name him if you have any ideas, let me know. Im open to all suggestions.:)

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hey there and congrats on getting a piggie. Is it boy or girl? Pictures also would be lovely to see.

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
He is a boy. I havent had a chance to take any pictures yet but as soon as i do i will post them so everyone can see. Got any ideas on names?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
boo, casper, poppy, ace, rufus, umm.... slick, sony, juno, skyler, tux, rainie, ranger, rome, prince, georgie, rocky, pete,....ummm....gizmo, bugsy, chewie, charlie,

MissCin

Cavy Slave
Bimbo, rufus, bear, Bingo, snowy, bubble, twix, Beanie, CoCo, cotton or cotton ball, Dumbo, Guss, Hippie, Jasper, Jelly bean, Ozzy. Hmm yeah. :)

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Well thanks for all of the names. Me and my boyfriend Zach have came to three names. Cosmo,gizmo,or cornbread cus he is the only pig i know that eats the dried up pieces of corn from his food. What do you guys think? Let me know. Thanks for all of the suggestions!:cheerful:

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
I think he sounds like a Gizmo!
;)

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I like Gizmo ,its also my Horses name =).

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Well i put the new pig with my older one. And all the older one does is chase the new one around. Is that normal or should i seperate them? If it is normal, how long does it last?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
The new one should have been quarantined for 3 weeks before being introduced to the other Gp or Gps. I'm assuming that this newest one came from a petshop so it is very likely it is ill. URIs and Mites are very common with pet store bought animals. The damage is done though and all you can do now is watch them carefully for signs of illness or parasites.

Petstores often missex animals as well. Are you certain the new GP is the same sex as the one you homed him/her with? If not separate them now and get the newcomer, and any other GPs you may not be certain of the sex, to a good cavy vet to have them properly sexed.

I noticed you said something about dried corn in the food? Pellet mixes that contain seeds, dried corn, veggies or fruit or colored bits is very unhealthy. It is too fattening, sugary and the GPs could choke of the seeds and corn. Please switch them out to a high quality plain pellet like Oxbow or Kleenmama's. This thread should help you learn more about their dietary needs https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

From your posting I'm certain you want the very best for your pets and I hope we can help you achieve that goal.

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Well we got him from the humane society a couple of days ago. He isnt living with our other little guy yet. We just introduced them so Sparky would know who is making all the noise. He has his own cage away from sparky until a couple weeks pass and we know the little guy is fine. As for the sex of the pig we know it is a little boy cause he has all of the body parts for a little boy. The food we have him on is fine. Sparky has been eating it from day one. And our vet told us that it is okay to feed to him. But thanks for the advice. :cheerful:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I'm thrilled you adopted and happy you are certain about the sex.

Please reconsider the food though. Many vets are wrong about that type of food being healthy. Please research this, and other, sites about the food with seeds and colored bits. You will find that from the most to even the least reputable of sites recommend a plain pellet.

So many vets are not very knowledgeable about cavies and aren't up-to-date on the latest research. I have seen people get some very poor advice from vets. Instead rely on the reputable rescue community (such as on this site and Guinea Lynx). They deal with more GPs in a day then most vets see in a year. They really know their stuff and want the info they share to be correct.

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Well have you ever got a new piggie and had an older one chase him around and purr loudly at him? Cause Sparky seems to do this a lot.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Yes, the chasing, purring and rumbling is all normal. They are establishing dominance. As long as a "flying ball of fur" fight doesn't happen or bloodshed then let them work it out. If it gets too violent then separate them and let us know about it. We'll help you try to reintroduce them.

Otherwise don't separate them at all. Constant separation and reintroduction does much more harm then good.

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Well I firgured it was normal and all. I think Sparky actually is more upset when Cosmo leaves the "play" area anyways. I set up a vet visit for Cosmo next week. If all is well i think i may put them together. Since Cosmo is eating and drinking alright and putting on some wieght i think they well go good together. And so far no fights, just some chasing til Sparky has to lay down and rest. He cant seem to keep up with the little guy. lol:)

socal805

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new piggie, please consider what voodoo said about the food though!

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Out of everything I have read I have never heard anything wrong with the food I give them. What food should I cnange to if the food i give them is so bad for them?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Switch to a plain, high quality pellet.

The top 3 choices are
KM's pellets ((broken link removed) -only available online
Oxbow pellets ((broken link removed)) available online and at select retails. Many exotic vets carry it.
Mazuri 5664 - Make certain it's the 5664. That is the only decent GP pellet that Mazuri makes.

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Whats wrong with the food that has treats in it? We have had several pigs before that never had any problem with the food we use. They lived long heathly lives. Scooby lived to be 7 years old on our food. The food we use is called Super Premium Guinea Pig Blend with Ester C- Wild Harvest.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.