Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK When is it going to stop raining?

muffin

Cavy Slave
It was gloriously warm here last weekend. Now I'm scared that that was it. Summer is over! :melodrama Did it not do this last year? I remember vividly moving all our stuff out of our flat into my Mum's garage and dining room, in many trips, in monsoon style rain, and repeating the process into our new house the next day! Oh for some warmth. It ten degrees! I've had to put the heating on! Yes the land needs the rain, but could nature not spread it out a bit?!

Hope no one is flooded.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Three weekends ago now, I was camping - and have only once camped feeling so cold (that was in January!), two weeks ago it was parching - my plants in pots were beginning to frazzzzle, and we felt like we were stuck in a greenhouse at work. Then it started raining, and it doesn't seem to have stopped since!

At least it's helping the grass grow for the pigs!

muffin

Cavy Slave
True! But they want to go out on it! I'll wheesht in case we have too dry a summer. I was moaning about how humid and hot it was at one point last year.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Apparently there were major floods in Belfast but when we went to the hospital in the city there was no sign of flooding! Mind you East Belfast was worst hit, and I think the hospital is in the north or west...anyway. I know loads of places are flooded across UK with something like 50 flood warnings in force for this weekend! And after the lovely warm weather last week too. I got sunburned last week and now we have the heating on in the house!

The weather seems to be somewhat confused.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
Several areas of Sheffield were flooded and some roads were impassable. We drove up the A1 on our way to Galloway on Friday evening when all the radio traffic news was warning people not to travel unless completely necessary (the roads really werent that bad). It only rained once in Galloway (while the children and I were running, my husband stayed dry) but as soon as it stopped the midges came out in force which really wasn't a great improvement!

Last year it seemed as though much of the summer was just too hot for the pigs to go out and then towards the end it just rained too much. They haven't been out that much this year either - we keep the grass fairly long for them but that means it takes longer to dry out after the rain.

Oh for some nice, moderate weather.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Well, I dried a load of washing today. That's good enough for me. The sun even came out for a bit!

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
Last Monday I had 12 happy, healthy lettuce plants at the allotment. Now I have no lettuces but some very fat slugs. :sad:

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's ever going to stop raining.
Yesterday it hailed Big Time here! I was in the sports hall at school and it started hammering really loudly on the roof (we all went outside but it really stung when it hits you) Hehe! Sometimes there's spells of sun but then it clouds over again!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Well...it stopped raining here and I even got the pigs outdoors yesterday. The sun was lovely.

Can't believe how major the flooding is in the Midlands though! I used to live in Tewkesbury and I remember it always flooded in the winter, but this is something else. It's surreal.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
You're lucky :sad:
It's still drizzly and grey here (West Midlands). I was on my way back from a school trip on Friday and we had to stop in a hotel for the night because our town was cut off :eek: My teacher lives in Tewkesbury so I hope she's OK. This rain's gone on for too long now...it's July!

I hope everyone is okay!

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
We are more than 16 inches above our average rainfall for this time of year. That will eventually put us way over by the end of the year since we have already gotten more rain than we usually do the entire year.

I was riding with my boyfriend on Friday to San Antonio from Bastrop to get a load (he is a truck driver) and there were several places along I35 where the water was running over the access road. There was one place that was fixin' to start running over the interstate itself!

Ugh. Enough already. I am glad we are having lower than normal highs, but this rain has got to go!

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
I don't think its ever going to stop raining it is really depressing,

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
I'm worried about what it is going to cost us to feed our piggies their veggies! The farmers have had a lot of crops destroyed and at the moment I am having trouble getting some stuff, for a couple of days i couldn't get carrots and i've only just got hold of Greens. Loads of other stuff has been off the shelves too.

It's going to be an expensive few months I bet!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.