Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast; in HAWAII!?!?!

whencavies_fly

Cavy Slave
Would ANYONE happen to know where to buy coroplast on the BIg Island, HI?

I've had NO luck whatsoever and I'm trying to expand my cage because I'm planning on buying another guinea pig :shhh:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Try sign shops, printing shops and I've heard some Home Depot's carry it but I haven't found it at a couple Home Depot's I've been to.

whencavies_fly

Cavy Slave
^ I'll check Home Depot. I've tried a few sign stores, so far there I haven't had any luck.

Thanks!

littlebear

Cavy Slave
I live in Honolulu and it was hard to find a shop that sells it here. There is the option of having it freighted here from Honolulu.

Bear Bear

Cavy Slave
I live on Oahu and am having a really hard time trying to find cubes AND coroplast. I've almost been everywhere and it's almost as if grids have disappeared off the island. They used to be everywhere, but have since gone extinct.

I'm still on the hunt for everything I need for a C&C cage. My poor babies have been living in a pet store cage for 2 weeks and they need a house asap. I'm wanting to build my 2 boars a two story 3x5 to compete with the houses they show on "MTV's Cribs"...with all the luxuries and ameneties of a rockstar.

...but that is deeming to be quite difficult due to lack of materials. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to order the grids or perhaps somehow sweet-talk my hubby into building an alternative masterpiece.

BTW: I found some supposedly "fresh and pesticide free" Timothy Hay from a local Waimanalo farm. It's on sale at "The Pet Stop" in Ward Center...the same place where I bought my two piggies before I knew any better. I can't remember how much the bag was, but it was pretty big and greener than all the other packaged stuff you can find here. I haven't tried it yet, as my boys are finishing off the first bag of Kaytee Timothy I purchased from the same store. Anyway...jsut thought I'd mention it...as it seems good stuff in Hawaii is hard to come by.

Bear Bear

Cavy Slave
Update: I gave in and dumped the bag of Kaytee Timothy and opened the one from the local farm. This stuff is amazing! The grass is fresh, long and green with barely any dust in the package. As soon as I put it in the cage, my little guys went crazy! They're practically dancing in it!! I'm definitely going back to the store today to pick up a few more bags. Hopefully if the demand is great, they'll regularly stock this stuff! I highly recommend!!

One quick question: How do I describe coroplast to people? I tried asking people at the hardware stores but they remain cluess. Perhaps I described it wrong and they didn't understand what I was looking for? I said it was "like cardboard...only plastic", but they were quite sure no such thing existed. >.> How would I describe the middle part of it?....if you know what I mean.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Coroplast is corrogated plastic. Just like cardboard but made entirely of plastic material.

Do you have a Home Depot or Lowe's there? You could get closet shelving instead of traditional grids and if all else fails, you can get linoleum to line the bottom and sides of the cage with. The two stores will cut the closet shelving to whatever lengths you need it to be cut and you just use zip ties to put it together with. If you were to need a lid, you can use the shelving to make a lid with as well.

A&Z_HI

Cavy Slave
We are trying to build a 2x6 cage for 2 pigs (maybe more in the future). Anyone in Honolulu area knows where can I find all the material? I've tried Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sam's club, Costco, Home Depot and Lowes for the cube but none of them carry it. I remember Costco used to have it but it's gone like Bear Bear said.

For coroplast, we tried Ben Franklin but no luck. The only coroplast I could find is 18"x24" and it's at Office Max. I found a Web site that sells coroplast but the shipping is way too expensive for a 4'x8' 4mm sheet. It costs $295.50. I called the only sign shop that I know and they don't have but referred me to another shop. So I called this shop but the biggest coroplast they have is 18"x24".

Any places else that I can look for?

PiggieNewbie

Cavy Slave
signs by Dey
Fast Signs
Identity Signs & Graphics808-488-8828
Island Sign 808-877-0688

Try these

Bear Bear

Cavy Slave
Hey!! I'm happy to say I've got all the answers for you. I went crazy trying to look for all this stuff.

For cubes, you want to go to Fisher Hawaii on Cooke Street (524-8770). They hide the cubes in the dedicated section for office furniture.

For a large sheets of coroplast, you want to go to One Shot Supplies (841-7683). I think they supply other sign shops on the island. They are the cheapest/largest I could find and are very helpful. They're located on Waikamilo in Kalihi. I can't remember how much it was, but it was very affordable. Make sure to bring a large vehicle to put it in, it's HUGE!

Let me know if you need help finding anything else. Happy to help.

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
If worst comes to worst, you could just get the smaller sheets and tape them together. You could also try using linoleum or something similar. Good luck! Bear Bear will help you with anything so use her! lol

A&Z_HI

Cavy Slave
Thanks Bear Bear and others for sharing. Bear Bear, I just sent you a PM, please check it. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.