Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Insurance

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
What do you all think about insurance for your pigs? Do any of you have it and is it worth it? I just found a carrier VPI Pet Insurance that covers exotics. I can get insurance for my pigs for about $9 each a month.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Wow that sounds really cool. What excately does it like cover or what is it mainly about?

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
It seems like they cover just like major stuff. But I just found a review website and not sure about this place anymore. This link gives reviews to different pet insurances, I'm sure some of them cover exotics as well:
Pet Insurance Review

Mr.Jiggles

Cavy Slave
I honestly would say no, for my two pigs it would be $14 bucks a month. I only take them to the vet once a year, and I'm not expecting any problems any time soon, riding on their good health. Then again....anything can happen, but no I dont think its worth it.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I have mixed feelings on pet insurance. Not so long ago, my cat got a small puncture wound from a cat bite, so I took him to the vet and it seemed like no big deal. Two days later his paw was HUGE and he had an abscess. Back to the emergency vet. Once that drained, there was a hole in his paw that was so large you could literally see all of his tendons. I had it bandaged, he took the bandage off, had it bandaged again, took the bandage off again... This goes on for a while, and of course at every visit they have to give expensive anesthetia because my cat is very aggressive. After that, I had to continue taking him to the vet every other day for three weeks to have the bandage redone.
It was a freak accident, but it cost me THOUSANDS of dollars. Let me tell you, I sure wish I had pet insurance then! As far as guinea pigs though, they don't have nearly the same risks that an outdoor cat does (who is now indoors, by the way!). Honestly, the best thing probably is prevention through proper care, which is what we all are already doing! ;)

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
$9 a month is definately worth it. You may think you have healthy pigs but take it from a pig owner who just shelled out about $300 for surgery and follow-up, you just never know when an issue will arise. I'm going to look into insurance as well. And think about how many times in a month you spend $9 on things you don't need, or a meal that is over in an hour. Might as well put that money to good use!

And PS- The problems my pig had had nothing to do with proper care. Even with excellent care there are just some things that can't be prevented.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
I looked into insurance and decided that for my four girls it would make more financial sense to put away the same amount of money for them each into a bank account. For cats and dogs though I think insurance is an absolute must.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
That's a good idea to put away money in a bank account for the piggies, I think I'll do that as well. Seeing as I have eight piggies under a year old, who get an overall vet check-up every six months and have a somewhat fanatical owner as far as their care goes, I highly doubt paying insurance every month would end up being the cheaper route!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I looked into insurance and decided that for my four girls it would make more financial sense to put away the same amount of money for them each into a bank account. For cats and dogs though I think insurance is an absolute must.

Definately makes more financial sense to put the money away. But some of us are too short on willpower and too long on impulse for that kind of fiscal integrity! lol But for those who can do it, it does seem a better use of money.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Ay, kind of wish I had this now, my estimate for Nismo's xrays and blood tests, plus exam and medication today is over $400

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.