PDA

View Full Version : Finished Building the Cage--but now a Question

lilouisianagal
10-18-04, 01:09 am
I have finished building my cage! And with four panels to spare! Tinkerbell (the hamster) has a 1 by 2 on the bottom, then next to that is a 4 by 2 for Penny (YAY she has a name now!!!). Right now, the loft is a 2 by 3 (no ramp yet though). But this is where I have my questions. First, what is the best way to support the overhang/loft (pvc maybe??)? Secondly, I am thinking about changing the layout of the loft. I thought of two other ways of setting it up. One is to have a 1 by 2 (over Tinkerbell's cage) and then on the opposite end have a 2 by 2. Second way is to make a sort of "U" shape with basically the top filled in (2 by 5) except for three panels in the front center. I dont have enough panels though to screen off the drop from the loft(down into the cage), how neccessary is that? and supports would take up a lot of space (pvc maybe, though I've also seen bungees). And would the top 2 by 3 be okay to use for quarentine for a new cavy? Thanks! Just ask if I was unclear.

Sierra
10-18-04, 09:37 am
I would think the 2x3 would be big enough for quarentining, but I would make it larger as soon as I could. that is the minimum for a guinea pig cage.

liluqt
10-21-04, 01:55 pm
Okay, I just finished my cage too. Our cage is about 3' x 7' ish for 3 pigs. It's really a 2' x 6' with 3 cubes jutting out on the side. Each pig only gets 5 grids to himself though. I really wanted to do the "minimum" of 6, but because our 3 pigs aren't able to share space since they all fight even after 6 months, so it's taking up a bit of surface area in my boyfriend's basement. I used a thick layer of aspen with a thin layer of carefresh on top, but the pigs keep jumping and kicking everything so the aspen is coming up to the top and the carefresh is just being mixed in. Our pigs enjoy eating everything they see in sight. So naturally, they're trying to chew at the large chips of aspen. Is this safe?? I used kaytee aspen but as i poured it out, I noticed that it was still rather dusty? And it had a slight smell? I've always used Carefresh up until now in 3 separate cages, but I definately can't afford to use it entirely to cover up this new C&C. My pigs are also chewing on the wires of the cage. They've ALWAYS done this in their own separate cages as well. Any suggestions on how to make them stop? No matter what I do, they just can't stop chewing on cage wires. I give them cardboard pieces, hay, hard alfafa cubes... but they choose to chew on wires:P Last question.. I read on kathy's kritters that the bedding on her large C&C can last up to 2 or 3 weeks without changing... is anybody else doing that? mine is almost just as big and i'm wondering if i'd be able to go 2 weeks max without changing with spot cleaning. i'd love to be able to change it every week, but its going to be even more of a financial burden with me in school still. just wanted some advice/opinion. :) is aspen absorbant at all? i know carefresh is pretty good. ok, i'm done yapping :)

liluqt
10-21-04, 01:59 pm
oh and if anybodys wondering why we did grids instead of 6, its because my boyfriend wouldnt be able to get to his couch in his basement. the cage already covers 80% of the space in front of the couch.. but i do want to build a small 2nd level for each of the pigs in their own section so that will give them a little more space, but by no means, not more running space. we will still let them out to have floor time. we just wanted them to have more space while we were away at work/school.. even with 5 grids to each, its more than double the space of what their individual cages were! okay, im done now, i swear! i love this forum :)

mncavylover
10-21-04, 05:03 pm
First, what is the best way to support the overhang/loft (pvc maybe??)?
Pvc works well. I made a support to be put underneath the top level (mine is a 2x3), and it sits under a connector in the middle. It is made out of some extra coroplast. See http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=833&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=3 for mine.

Secondly, I am thinking about changing the layout of the loft. I thought of two other ways of setting it up. One is to have a 1 by 2 (over Tinkerbell's cage) and then on the opposite end have a 2 by 2. Second way is to make a sort of "U" shape with basically the top filled in (2 by 5) except for three panels in the front center. I dont have enough panels though to screen off the drop from the loft(down into the cage), how neccessary is that? and supports would take up a lot of space (pvc maybe, though I've also seen bungees). And would the top 2 by 3 be okay to use for quarentine for a new cavy? Thanks! Just ask if I was unclear.
The top is fine for a quarantine.

The U sounds cool! The grids to screen off the drop would be great, but you can also make the coroplast wall higher there. Or, you can just use some wire and create a barrier that is like the grids by tying the wire from grid to grid like this:

(| = existing grids, -- = wire)

|---------|
|---------|
|---------|

mncavylover
10-21-04, 05:10 pm
So naturally, they're trying to chew at the large chips of aspen. Is this safe??
This is ok, but make sure they have plenty of hay, food, etc.

I used kaytee aspen but as i poured it out, I noticed that it was still rather dusty? And it had a slight smell?
Yes, this is fine. The slight smell is not harmful to the cavies, and aspen is considered safe. I don't use Kaytee, personally, because I don't think their products are the greatest (foods, treats, hay, info wrong, etc.) but that's just me.

My pigs are also chewing on the wires of the cage. They've ALWAYS done this in their own separate cages as well. Any suggestions on how to make them stop? No matter what I do, they just can't stop chewing on cage wires. I give them cardboard pieces, hay, hard alfafa cubes... but they choose to chew on wires:P
Makme sure they have plenty of hay, etc. Same as chewing on the aspen. The only problem is the plastic coating. You can try weaving hay through a few bars to give them that to nibble on if they just won't stop.

Last question.. I read on kathy's kritters that the bedding on her large C&C can last up to 2 or 3 weeks without changing... is anybody else doing that?
I sure am! Although, I have a total of a 2x9 for two pigs, so that's why I get through. I also spot-clean every few days, which helps.

mine is almost just as big and i'm wondering if i'd be able to go 2 weeks max without changing with spot cleaning. i'd love to be able to change it every week, but its going to be even more of a financial burden with me in school still.
Yes, you should. Just make sure you spot clean every few days or so. This really depends on how many pigs and how much space you have, and for you I'd recommend about every other day spot-cleans since you have 6 pigs.

just wanted some advice/opinion. :) is aspen absorbant at all? i know carefresh is pretty good. ok, i'm done yapping :)
Yes, it sure is! Not quite as good as carefresh, but it's still awesome--and safe.

liluqt
10-21-04, 09:53 pm
Thank's for the thorough responses, MN! I actually just have 3 male piggies, but they are pooping factories since I feed them fresh vegetables regularly :-) I will post pictures up later when I figure this forum out. I'm still relatively new, lol. However, I will definately try weaving hay. They tend to chew on the wire where their 3 sections of the cage intersect. I suppose it's them trying to get to one another. I put a large pile of hay in that section, so that they spend more time ingesting hay than the wires! Thank you for the information!!

mncavylover
10-23-04, 07:12 pm
No problem! I try to help when I can. Sorry for mistaking you having 6 pigs--I must have mixed that part up with another thread. I read so many it's difficult to keep them all straight, I'm sorry.

Glad to hear I could help a bit!

The pictures can be posted by going here: http://www.cavycages.com/photos/uploadphoto.php