Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing on coroplast?

OreosMum

Cavy Slave
My husband made my piggy a little hidey house with the leftover coroplast from building his cage. He does love his little house, perhaps a bit too much as he's constantly chewing on it. Is this okay? I don't want the plastic to hurt him, but I'm not sure how to stop him from chewing it.

TheSnufflenoses

Cavy Slave
From what I've read, the coroplast isn't toxic/unsafe for them to nibble on from time to time, but if they are chewing it persistently/frequently then you should do something. Our piggies nibble on it every so often too, but it's infrequent enough that there isn't a need for concern. Pigs teeth continually grow so you must have some untreated/safe wood in the cage for them to chew/file their teeth down on. Most pigs prefer a wooden structure to those tiny wooden rectangles they sell in stores.

If the piggie is really chewing on it regularly then I'd recommend getting one of those wooden guinea pig/chinchilla houses that is made from a couple of safe/non-toxic wooden boards that interlock together to form a hidey house (do get the largest size though!). If you look at my profile, one is pictured in my cage in the bottom corner. It's the only wooden thing we've found that they would chew (and boy do they!) although the house itself isn't big enough for more than 1 of them now that they've grown (we got it when they were small and could both fit!) It seems like it would be very easy to build your own- safe/untreated wood cut to size with a long gap cut into each board so they can interlock, then just sand them and you're done.

What does your piggy have to chew on? Piggies will definitely chew if they don't have a ton of timothy hay always accessible to them, something wooden they can chew in order to file their ever-growing teeth down, and things to keep them from being bored (they will chew when bored). Make sure you have ALL of these met.

Also, they really enjoy it if you can find a few smaller cardboard boxes and cut off the top flaps, flip over, and cut 2 or so arches/openings in them. This way you can throw them out if/when they get dirty (if they pee on them) and having multiple openings means they will never get cornered by their cage mate, and they have lots of options when running from one hidey spot to another. Just make sure you have some wood somewhere that they are chewing on so their teeth get filed down!

When all else fails, there is a Bitter apple spray you can buy which they don't like/will prevent them from chewing in the sprayed place. But only do this if you've already tried offering them different wooden things to chew on, unlimited hay, and things to combat boredom.

Let me know how it goes!

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
One of my boys is terrible for chewing the coroplast. It doesn't seem to matter what I give him to chew on, he keeps going back to the coroplast. The only thing which stops him is vegemite. He hates it. Maybe you could try smearing it where he is chewing.

OreosMum

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help. I make sure he always has plenty of fresh hay to chew on, so I know that's not it. However, he does not yet have a cage mate (I'm currently searching for one) so it very well may be boredom. Maybe I'll stick a cardboard box in there later for him to play around in.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Smores does it off and on again like every few months. It's like he gets board and stops chewing and goes back to his fiddle sticks or paper tube. The others don't even touch the coroplast. Drives me up a wall when Smores does it after like 3-4 months of not doing it. It's like he gets bored or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.