Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bending leftover cube squares into a ramp...

waytofailself

Cavy Slave
I've seen lots and lots of great C and C cages on this site, and while I do like my two 2x3 cages for my two piggies, in around two weeks they're going to be moving in together into a two level cage. I had a ramp that I attempted to make work, but it was too steep and really hard to shape and keep together.

I feel that if I could bend the leftover cube squares (of which I have plenty) I could make a ramp that is wide enough for both pigs. Sadly, I don't have the tools to do so (only a pair of tinsnips that can't even break a single bar).

Can anyone help me out?

RayFay

Cavy Slave
I know many people have done this but I have tried many times and my grids didn't even budge. I tried putting it on the floor and standing on one half and bending up the other and nothing happened! I'll be building a 2nd storey hopefully soon so I say thanks for starting this post!

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend put on boots and stood on the grid (on concrete.) He bent one side up, and then the other so that there is about a two inch side wall. I couldn't do it myself, but he was strong enough to.

waytofailself

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend put on boots and stood on the grid (on concrete.) He bent one side up, and then the other so that there is about a two inch side wall. I couldn't do it myself, but he was strong enough to.

Uh oh! I'm the exact opposite of brawny.

Any other suggestions (or ramp alternatives?)

perfectaccident

Cavy Slave
Uh oh! I'm the exact opposite of brawny.

Any other suggestions (or ramp alternatives?)

borrow someone strong?

couldn't you make a ramp(or maybe steps?) just out of the squares without bending them?

chinchachu

Cavy Slave
I made my ramps by using the leftover coroplast. If you have any to use make sure you make the length of the ramp with the grain of the plastic. If you notice the coroplast is strongest in the direction parallel to the veins inside. I have found that even with two piggies on the ramp at the same time it is strong. Also fold up or down short walls along the ramp makes it even stronger. To attach the ramp I just took an exacto knife and drilled a hole big enough for plastic ties to go through.

Oh and a ramp that is two squares long is a good steepness for piggies to go up. Mine get their best exercise running up the ramp but it doesnt appear to be difficult for them to go up or down. There are lots of good examples of wrap around ramps in the photo gallery but those take a little more engineering.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Here are pictures of both style ramps that I have used. The white one is my current ramp and the other one was the first one I used. I explained at the bottom of each picture how I made them.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7501/cat/500/ppuser/6189
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6761/cat/500/ppuser/6189
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6762/cat/500/perpage/24/ppuser/6189

Here is my ramp in action:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7502/cat/500/ppuser/6189

Hope this helps.

Cassidy forever

Cavy Slave
You could use 6mm coroplast or maybe gluing 2 pieces of left over coroplast together and add sides and carpet for traction.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.