Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please meet my new baby

NickM

Cavy Slave
I was going to put this in the introductions section but it said one thread per member and it seems introductions is just for new members, but if I am wrong feel free to move me.

BUT I do have concerns as well with my new addition so I think this is the right place.

Anyway, please welcome "unnamed"! I just took him from a litter of an un-wanting owner today, I could not resist him. I am still thinking of a name!

A concern I have is that I am still unsure about introducing him to my other piggie, Chester. Chester is about 4 months old, still very young and has been with me for almost 2 months and is fully adjusted. He lives in a 2x3 CC.

My new baby, who is about 1 month old, is living in a smaller pet store cage I had in reserve for the time being. He is in the other room and the two have no knowledge of each others existence.

From what I have read, two babies seams to be a bad mix? How will I ever introduce these two baby males? Will one need to reach full maturity first? I have done a lot of readings of posts and stuff but I still need help.

I am very overwhelmed right now!

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
He's a little cutie! Hopefully you'll find a good name for him soon!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Your new baby can have his own intro thread in the intro forum so I moved the thread. He is a member too and just happens to need to post through your name.

Babies can work. It just depends on their personalities. It can be a little harder as they go through puberty but there are many, many cases with a happy ending.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
He's cute. I like when pigs look like they're wearing a shirt and pants. They're just like Homer Simpson- they never change their outfit.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Hi Nick, and congratulations on your new handsome pigster!

You are doing all the right things so far, in quarintining, you are ensuring the continued good health of Chester, and preventing any underlying illness being spread either way.

I would suggest that after the 3 weeks quarintine is up, you either extend Chester's cage, giving each pig a home of their own, with a dividing wall of grids inbetween. During this first stage of introductions, they will beable to see , smell and hear eachother, whilst not getting in eachother's faces! Gradually move hay/waterbottles/hidies towards the divider, so they are spending more time near eachother. Once you are confident they are aquainted (could take anything from a week upwards) you could try introducing on neutral territory. But you have a wee while before to prepare yourself. If all else fails, you could leave them in their divided cages, so they still have the company of a fellow guinea - and try again later.

Don't know if you've read this link - it should ginve you a few more pointers towards your piggies friendship: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Good luck - keep us up to date with how they are doing - and especially with more pics, and ideas of names etc!

Last edited:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
That is one very adorable little piggy!

Are you 100% sure he is a he? During the 3 week quarantine, you may want to have a vet double check the gender of your new little guy.

NickM

Cavy Slave
Hey thanks for the replies.

Everything is going well and mr no name looks really really healthy but definitely scared :sarcastic I can't wait for him to break in and start wheeking.

I checked his sex myself. His anus and genital area is very small so I made sure he was a male right away. I got his wee to protrude without a problem. Thanks for the concern!!

I'm still having a tough time with names. Meh.

Heres some more little pics of shy guy herelol

*The red is his real eye color, it is not from the flash* - Everyone is calling him devil boy:sarcastic

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
He is adorable, he looks like a checker to me because of his face colours. Reminds me of the ice cream you can get that is chocolate and vanilla checker board.lol.too cute!

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
For some reason he kinda looks like a Chai to me. lol He's quite a pretty boy, congratulations!

NickM

Cavy Slave
Still no name! Many people have many suggestions.

Jester - Becuase he looks like a Jester?
Carlos
Lucifer - red eyes
Jack

Any ideas?

He is so calm and is really nothing like my other boy, Chester. Chester is always alert and never puts his head down. Mr new guy is very calm and just plops down in the corner and totally spralls out with his head down - he looks so comfy. He is incredibly healthy and is fur is smoother than silk, we really love him. I hope their opposite personalities will work perfectly. One alert pigger and one who just wants to kick back.

I bought him alfalfa instead of feeding him timothy. Hes about a month old, should he stay on the alfalfa till about 4 months or so? Thxlol

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
He still needs unlimited amounts of timothy or another grass hay. Alfalfa isn't a replacement for that. It just provides additional nutrients for his quickly growing little body.

NickM

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tip percy's! Hes now on a mix of the two.

One weird thing about him that I have noticed is his pooping/peeing. I am no expert so I am surely confused.

His potty-ing "seems" odd to me. He poops a LOT and his poops are just as big or even bigger than my other boy, Chester, who is a few months older. From what I can tell, he poo's even more than Chester. Plus, the day I brought him home I saw him pee a LOT too. Within 5 minutes he took 3 seperate pees which were long. I haven't noticed the 'excessive' peeing since. To me, it just seams like he shouldn't have such an active and high capacity potty system for being one month old. I know he is surely very young. His paws are very small, his private area is all small, he weighs less than my 1.1 lb. Chester and the owner said he is about 1 month. Yet I can't help but be confused by his ability to poo.

In one sitting, hes capable of releasing about 12 poo's.

sarahnmadison

Cavy Slave
My name suggestion: Damian

When I read "devil boy", it made me think of the movie with the little boy named "Damian". I cannot think of the name but it was an old movie and they remade the movie not that long ago.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Jester is a cute name.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
He looks like Rufus to me. I love his stripey face. He obviously thinks the brown side is his "good" side.

NickM

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies, were still thinking of names, I like all of your suggestions but I am still so unsure.

He is doing really well, finally starting to wheek a little and hes letting down his guard. I do have a question though.

He still doesn't know theres another pig in the house and I was wondering about the quarantine time. I know one reason for quarantine is to prevent the spread of a possible illness but why else? Can the two even see each other from a distance of about 5 ft, in different cages, or can they not even know the other exists for that three weeks? I would love for them to get a glimpse of each other but if it hurts their health in any way, I can very easily wait.

Thanks!

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
You should wait the 3 weeks since most illness is airborn. Plus they might get excited if they hear another pig, and it's just a tease since they can't play together.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
My name suggestion: Damian

When I read "devil boy", it made me think of the movie with the little boy named "Damian". I cannot think of the name but it was an old movie and they remade the movie not that long ago.
The Omen.

I wouldn't worry about what you are referring to as "excessive pottying". Guinea pigs have incredibly high metabolisms, and when they are growing fast, it can be even higher. Food in, food out is pretty much an all day thing. If he's going a lot, he's probably also eating and drinking a lot.

Definitely keep your pigs completely quarantined for the full 3 weeks. It will allow your new baby to get more used to you as well as keep any possible illnesses from passing back and forth.

clotho

Cavy Slave
How about Diablo? I like Damien as well. I'm sure when you find the right name it will hit you and just feel right for your piggie. Congrats on the new addition and I hope your two boys will get along great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.