Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bo

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
We lost our 17 year old Shih Tzu, Bosun, today. He had severe arthritis, was blind and deaf, and had started having fits again in the last 2 days. After his fit this morning my mum noticed a large lump on his gums - we found out at the vets it was a tumour. We had the option to either give him meds to stop the fits, but he would need surgery in the near future to remove the tumour as it would have begun to interfere with his eating, or to have him euthanised. He wouldn't have made it through the surgery - he was literally skin and bone - and while he wasn't in pain, he was uncomfortable and the fits just made him distressed, so the decision was made, and he died at lunchtime today. Exactly 2 weeks after his 17th birthday.

You don't realise just how much a part of your life an animal is until they've gone for good. My mum and I are heartbroken, but so, so glad that we got to spend a good couple of hours with him last night, giving him a bath and haircut and getting him comfortable. My dad shed a few tears too, he's not one to show his emotions, but he's been pretty affected by poor Bobo's passing.

Here's a few pics of the little guy.

Bosun
9th May 1990 - 23rd May 2007

I am so sorry for your loss. What a handsome guy, I am glad he got to go so peacefully,and so handsome with a bath and a haircut. May he rest in peace.

So sorry to hear about your beautiful Bobo, Laura. 17 is an incredible age for a small dog - he was very lucky to have shared his life with you - and you with him.

My parents dog lived 'til he was 161/2. It is a lot of time time to spend with somebody special - it will take time, but you will have lots of happy memories to cherish until you meet again.

RIP Bosun

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. He sure looks like a little angel. Your family was very brave to have made the decision. Just know, that is the most selfless thing you can do, and the greatest gift you can give them, at the same time.

I'm sorry for your loss. A few years ago I had to make the decision with SuLi Yong my 17 year old Lhasa Apso. She was such a fun dog and I miss her still. Those little squashed faced creatures get in your heart and never leave.
Just remember Bosun was loved.

So sorry for your loss, it was a brilliant age he lived to, must have been well cared for.

I've been so out of it internet wise over the last week. I can't believe that I missed this. Love and best wishes to you and your family! RIP Bo.

Oh how did I miss this? I'm so sorry Laura, he lived a long, great life.

Thanks y'all. It's still strange without him but I think the fact that I know it was the right thing for him helps. It would have been very unfair to have him live on in his condition. I've pretty much taken over the care of Sheba - walking her each night, grooming her a couple times a week, giving her her arthritis meds and supplements etc. Losing Bo has made me realise a lot of things...I've learnt a lot from him.

Thanks again everyone. :)

I'm just checking the forum today for the first time in a while, and I'm sorry to see this Laura. Bo lived a great life with you and I'm sure he knew how much he was loved.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.