Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK UK Rescues

muffin

Cavy Slave
I thought I would post a couple of lists of UK rescues. Maybe it's because I'm no use at googling, or because they didn't come up back then, but I didn't come across these lists when I first began searching for rescues a couple of years ago. Thought some of you might not have found them yet. There's a real mixture of rescues.

In Scotland I recommend Thistle Cavies. Such a wonderful charity. It is run from their home and they really know their stuff when it comes to piggies. I'm personally a bit sceptical about rescues that take in several kinds of animals, but then again every situation is different.

UK ANIMAL RESCUERS - HAMSTERS, GUINEAPIGS, RABBITS, FERRETS

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Guinea Pig Rescue Links

Spudnik

Cavy Slave
What a wonderful idea! I'd like to suggest (broken link removed).

perfectaccident

Cavy Slave
one thing i will say is to anyone rescuing in the uk is that the RSPCA will not home a guinea pig with you unless have a garden and intend to allow them to graze almost daily. I phoned twice to ask about adoption and this wasn't mentioned. When I didn't meet the "criteria" the lady was so mean to me when i got back in the car i started crying.

I live in a flat, no garden, and even if i had one i wouldnt let them out as i'm right on the main road and i wouldnt trust the local cats/kids no matter how secure the run is. And there are always air rifles. They do however get grass from my boyfriends house.

Anyone in the sussex area I did meet a lovely lady at a recent agricultural/dog show who was promoting her rescue who was very nice and helpful. she isnt online but the name is Pooh-Piglet and the number is 01345 841548

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Thanks, this will be helpful if I'm ever allowed to adopt a friend for Freckle :D

muffin

Cavy Slave
one thing i will say is to anyone rescuing in the uk is that the RSPCA will not home a guinea pig with you unless have a garden and intend to allow them to graze almost daily. I phoned twice to ask about adoption and this wasn't mentioned. When I didn't meet the "criteria" the lady was so mean to me when i got back in the car i started crying.

I live in a flat, no garden, and even if i had one i wouldnt let them out as i'm right on the main road and i wouldnt trust the local cats/kids no matter how secure the run is. And there are always air rifles. They do however get grass from my boyfriends house.

Anyone in the sussex area I did meet a lovely lady at a recent agricultural/dog show who was promoting her rescue who was very nice and helpful. she isnt online but the name is Pooh-Piglet and the number is 01345 841548

That is so weird. You would think they would be glad to find a loving home for a piggy, as long as you could provide run-time indoors. I used to live in a flat and the SSPCA allowed me to adopt two piggies. They didn't ask whether I had a garden. I'm sorry for your bad experience. I've found that people at SSPCA rehoming centres aren't always too clued up about piggies. The woman who was so mean to you was probably basing her 'extensive knowledge' on a printout she'd been given. :sarcastic

perfectaccident

Cavy Slave
well apparently, according to what she told me, its illegal because animals need to be able to exhibit natural behaviour or some such. My boyfriend studied agriculture and all sorts so knows the rules regarding that kind of thing and according to him its total rubbish. Anyway I just wanted to warn anyone who might be thinking RSPCA.

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
well apparently, according to what she told me, its illegal because animals need to be able to exhibit natural behaviour or some such.

When she said that she could have been talking about the law that says you must allow animals to express normal behaviour i.e. a bird must have room to fly. I think she got a bit mixed up :crazy:

stubblychin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Cool home page. Love your piggies! Great idea with the rescue site too.:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.