Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

alfalfa hay

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
i have a guinea pig who is pregnant and i was wondering how much alfalfa hay should i feed her and should i feed it everyday?? thanks and when they babies are born how much should they get too.

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Pregnant & nursing sows should get unlimited timothy and alfalfa hay.

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
ok thank you!

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
Erin what about baby piggs. Do they need alfalfa hay too? And what do you do if one pigg is over a year and you want to adopt a baby?

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Ideally, you should keep a mix of alfalfa and timothy in the cage for pigs under 1 year old. However, I have many baby pigs that just get the alfalfa based pellets, calcium rich veggies(parsley, kale), and timothy hay and do wonderful growing up into healthy pigs.

Mixing the hay when you have a pig over a year and a pig under a year shouldn't be a problem. It's the extended long term use of the high calcium alfalfa that may (or may not) lead to bladder sludge and/or stones in older pigs who may be predisposed to problems with the higher calcium contents.

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
Erin8607 said:
Ideally, you should keep a mix of alfalfa and timothy in the cage for pigs under 1 year old. However, I have many baby pigs that just get the alfalfa based pellets, calcium rich veggies(parsley, kale), and timothy hay and do wonderful growing up into healthy pigs.

Mixing the hay when you have a pig over a year and a pig under a year shouldn't be a problem. It's the extended long term use of the high calcium alfalfa that may (or may not) lead to bladder sludge and/or stones in older pigs who may be predisposed to problems with the higher calcium contents.

Well I wasn't planning on mixing the pellets. But I guess I can take the baby out of the cage and give him a little extra parsley and alfalfa hay.
So would this be ok-
Timothy Pellets (Wagners, and Cavy Cuisine mix)
Alfalfa Hay mixed with timothy
Extra alfalfa when I take the baby out of the cage (away from older male)
Extra parsley and other veggies outside of the cage (away from older male)

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Should be fine.

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
Erin8607 said:
Should be fine.

Ok great! This a relief! Thanks Erin!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.