Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Second story on a pet store cage?

Snowflake

Cavy Slave
Hey

I've got a pet store cage, supposedly within the minimum size recommended (today I read on this page, that the cages are often measured on the outside.... I'm not sure how it's like in Germany) but I'd like to build a little second story to the cage for more running space. I'm not sure, though, whether it would work out.

I was thinking of putting a little cage on top of the first one and cut a hole through the bottom of the second story and link both cages with a ramp. Of course I'd watch that there are no sharp edges. But before I spend money on a second cage, I wonder whether any of you could give me some advice on that? If you know it's definitely not a good idea, I don't have to try.

I've been browsing through the German area of this forum and how it seems it's hard to find grids here. I've seen German pages on how to build a cage oneself but they are very unhandy (heavy, hard to build second stories with,...).

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Well, I have no idea of how to go about adding a second level, BUT I don't think it would be too hard to construct your own cage - a good idea is to buy a cheap sturdy table, turn it upside down and wrap chicken wire round it. Add a correx/linolium (sp?) base and there you go!

Hope this helped a bit ;)

TheSnufflenoses

Cavy Slave
Well, to start with.. how big is this petstore cage of yours? They usually are not big enough, at least the ones here in the US, and so it affects how steep the ramp would be. To steep of a ramp and it's very possible the piggies wouldn't use it. If it's only slightly steeper than ideal you might be able to compensate for it by finding a material/rug strip to put on your ramp that has very good traction. But also make sure the fabric is sturdy and won't shread, and definitely make sure it isn't a hooked rug where the strands make loops as it's possible to get a piggie nail caught in it, particularly on a steep ramp. And if you do make a ramp-- be sure that it is as sturdy as ground and piggies are unlikely go up ramps that are wobbly.

Snowflake

Cavy Slave
Well, my cage was supposed to be 60x120 cm - which is the minimum size for guinea pigs if you search on German pages (I actually was looking for the minimum size on a lot of different pages and they all said the same). Converting the American idea of minimum sizes for cavy cages it would have to be 76x127cm, to give you an idea. But today I ruffly measured the inner part of the cage and found out they definitely measure the outher size here as well. So that makes the cage smaller. Something I didn't know when ordering my cage. I believed it was large enough - that was important to me.

I'll find out whether it's possible to set up a sturdy ramp in a recommendet angle. I don't think it would work out to just put the second cage next to the first one and link them. That probably would be easier. A cage could be a little larger, but a whole second cage wouldn't fit. But there'll be a way. I definitely want the piggies to have enough room. Maybe I'll construct my own, the way PiggyPaws suggested?

Thanks for your help, you two!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.