Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

One more cavy

Indiana

Cavy Slave
Hello, friends:

I´m a new member of this great community, and I wanted to introduce you my only cavy. His name is Indiana, and he´s more than three years old.

He´s very healthy and very friendly, and he likes running around a lot. He was very scared of everything when young...now he´s very likely to be with me and my people.

I would be very greatful if you could tell me the race and colour...I´m not vey good with those things...I think he´s angora...but please, help me :)

Thanks for your help, friends, I hope you like my guinea pig. I come from Spain, and here the summer is very very hot, soon I will show you his cage and accesories.

Sergio

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Hi Sergio, and welcome to the forum!

Indiana is absolutely beautiful - such a lovely colour! I am not great at breeds either, but will guess that he is a sheltie (or silkie in America) crossed with an abyssinian - so an abysheltie or abysilkie cross! The abysinian guinea pig has 'whorls' where the hair parts in rosettes all over the body. Indiana looks like he has one on his back!

Look forward to seeing his cage and accessories. Have you considered adopting him a piggy friend?

Indiana

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help, friend :)

Yes, I have been thinking about adopting a friend for him. In fact, having now a cage with a better size than the one he had before (now is a 50 x 30 inc cage, 130 x 80 cm aprox, more than 10 sq feet), I was looking for people who are looking for a nice home for a piggy, and yesterday I could talk to my vet (a very good vet, with many knowledge about this beautiful friends), and he had a homeless female. He told me I could adopt her...but you know...before of it Indiana, or her, should make a visit to the veterinary...I don´t want to breed, that´s absoultely clear for me.

Is there another possibility, a friend of a friend has offered me a little guinea pig, he had an "accident" when introduced a new cavy (a male one, he had a female...but he though he was introducing a female again :p)...what do you think? would Indiana accept a little male...you know...three months old more or less. I could separate them for a little while, just for them to see themselves but not touching...

Any help would be appreciated in this fact, too. I have a big cage for a single cavy...and there are many homeless cavies...so I would like to adopt, but I want to offer the best for Indiana and the new friend

Thanks again :)

Sergio

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Hello, welcome to the forum!
Your guinea pig is really handsome! I'm not sure what breed he is - sorry!
A baby male is a good choice for a friend, as the baby is usually submissive to the adult. You may find as the baby begins to grow up (around 5 months) he will try to become dominant, so a bit of arguing is to be expected.
You could also get Indiana nuetered so he could live with the female. Make sure your vet is experienced, so that he is in good hands. A male/female pair are very unlikely to not get along in the future.

This is a good page all about Guinea Pig's Social Life https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Good luck :)

Indiana

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help :)

I will have a look to the page right now. I knew cavyspirit but I think I haven´t seen that link about social life before.

I will have to decide soon, this Tuesday or Wednestday I will change many things in the cage, and will be the best moment to introduce the new friend, avoiding a higher dominance from Indiana.

Thanks again :)

Sergio

Schneeflöckli

Cavy Slave
oh he is sweet:love:. With the breed I agree with JarBax is a sheltie mixed with something other:p The colour is buff, well I'm not sure if it is the same in america. That's the name in Switzerland for this colour.
Lovely. I hope you'll find a friend for him soon

Indiana

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your comments, schnee, you are very kind.

I´m happy you like Indiana so much :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.