Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Trade Sow or Boar in WI

LucyNEthelle

Cavy Slave
Hello All,

This is my first time posting here and I just love the site!! We just got our C&C cage up and it's great! I just received two GP's about a week ago and was told they were both females. After looking over the site today I found the section on how to sex your GP's. I thought one of them was acting very Boarish when they were put together so I decided to sex them. Well, my guess was right. I now know I have a Boar and Sow. I'm sure that they both are able to reproduce so I am looking to trade either one for the opposite sex. The Boar is a long haired silkey (I think) and the sow is short haired. The boar is VERY friendly, use to kids, dogs and cats. Will lick your hand. About 1 1/2 yrs. old. The sow is also friendly but a bit more shy. Also use to cats, dogs, etc. About 5 yrs. old. I would like to trade for an equally friendly GP. I am located in SE Wisconsin. I have a couple pics of the Boar and get some of the Sow if interested. Otherwise I may also be interested in selling either as well.

Post here or contact me privately at [email protected]

Thanks,

Teresa

Why don't you just get the boar neutered and they can stay together? The procedure is not too invasive, and after 3 weeks he will be completely sterile and unable to reproduce. You must keep the boar away from the sow for 3 weeks or he may get one last hurrah, if you know what I mean!

I have two boar/sow/sow trios, and they're fun to watch!

On average, how much is this procedure? If it's at all around the same costs of a cat or dog then I just can't afford that.

Teresa

Depending on where you go it will cost between $100 - $200 (those are prices I've found in the twin cities, MN). You have to find a vet that is comfortable doing this procedure of course.

Thanks! I did check around and the cheapest was $52.50 and that's not bad but I'm still going to go the trade route. Just cheaper that way.

Thanks,

Teresa

Perhaps you could just keep them both. But separate the cage. like make a 2x6 then split it down the middle so two 2x3 cages. And save your money to eventually have him nuetered. I think it is the best thing for now. The whole trading thing proabably won't work out.

Or instead of trading just find a nice home for him/her and then adopt a female (or male which ever one you find a home for).

near me, it costs only $30 for neuter surgery!

loves2travel said:
near me, it costs only $30 for neuter surgery!
At the Companion vet in Tigard?

yes, with companion pet clinics

loves2travel said:
yes, with companion pet clinics

hmmm, I will have to ask my vet. Um do you know which vet it is that has this price?

So LucynEthelle have you decided what you are going to do?

I am looking to place the sow and then I will be getting another Boar. I don't want to deal with seperating the cage, etc. It was built with them being together in mind. I know I'll find a good home for her with other sows. She'll be happier that way and so will the boar. So if anyone is interested in giving my older sow a good home please contact me.

Thanks,

Teresa
[email protected]

I think you did the right thing LucynEthelle ! I am sure you will find a great home for her!

Hopefully your sow can be paired up with someone who currently has a singleton sow.

For the new boar you want, check a rescue near you. (broken link removed)

There is one in SW Wisconsin. Also, check the local shelters, there might be a great boar looking for a home, too!

Thanks Piggylover101! I think it'll be for the best too.

Thanks,

Teresa

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.