Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Bottom Alternatives?

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
okay, I am sure that most will read this and say "DUH", but we are looking for a safe bottom for the cage that can be removed and taken outside for cleaning.

We clean the cages weekly, sometimes before depending on if they need it early. But, my hub does this chore as I have severe allergies and sinus problems. Now, he uses a shop vac for the bedding and of course throws the paper away. But, our females cage is different. Her's I think was a rare find... as it is huge and has a removable bottom (with a high lip to keep messes from the floor).

Need something big enough for a 2 piggies cage and a one BIG boar cage.

He wants to know if there is a way to make a bottom like this for our boars cages? He has help (my son) to carry it outside so weight isn't really a problem. Thought maybe you all might have some suggestions! Oh and he is REALLY handy (as in can build and stuff).
Thanks!!

PS. We use grid cages right now, but plan to rebuild new ones (grids again) if we can work out the bottoms issues :)

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Call around to sign making/printing shops in your area and ask about purchasing coroplast. It is a light weight corragated plastic that is easy to clean and relatively inexpensive. You just score it on one side, bend it and shape it into a box/rectangle and secure with tape. It is what you see used in most all pictures here of the CC cages.

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
Well... I thought about that but hub here says it may not be strong enough alone to remove and take outside?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be strong enough. Coroplast is extremely durable. If you're taking the tray outside, you might need to retape from time to time, but the tray should hold up fine. If you're looking for something large enough and sturdy enough that it won't flex at all, it would probably be too heavy to lift if it's something you're making on your own.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Coroplast comes in different thicknesses. We usually use the thinner stuff because it's cheaper and easier to cut and fold. If you can find the thicker stuff it may hold up better to being moved.

You can contact a welder or machine shop and see if they can make you a metal bottom. Aluminum may be best because it's a lighter weight metal but galvanised steel would be easier to work with.

You can also look into having a fiberglass pan made.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I used to tote my 2x4 coroplast outside to dump and clean with no problems at all. Now, I just use a garbage bag and dust pan to scoop it out, then I dump the garbage bags full in my garden and wipe the cage out with vinegar and water--is much easier and quicker for me that way.

I'm afraid a metal liner would rust over time, and wood would absorb the urine-making unsanitary and stinky. If your worried, I wuold see about finding thicker coroplast from a plastics company, or possibly the fiberglass VJ mentioned.

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
Fiberglass, great idea! See, I knew there was something but I can't seem to think about anything anymore beyond whats in front of me..haha (pregnancy brain I guess). I will check into that and the real thick coroplast too. Thanks everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.