Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ferrets ferrets?

Jessi B

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if any of you guys have ferrets too. Can you build their cage using C and C? Are they a threat to the guinea pigs? And any care information would be awesome. I would just like to know anything and everything about them that I can get my hands on. Whats their general demeanor? I know they put off a deffinite odor that a lot of people find offensive. Just anything you could tell me that pertains to these creatures would be helpful. And I mean anything. Thanks a bunch
Jessi

GailtheGuineaPg

Cavy Slave
I don't know if this has anything to do with the relationship between a ferret and guinea pig, but this video shows a ferret gnawing on the bars of a guinea pig cage. So I would assume they don't get along.

RufussMom

Cavy Slave
Well, I know that they have an odor they let out if they are really excited and they have a natural odor which only some people find offensive.

An unspayed female is called a Jill; a spayed female is a Sprite. An un-neutered male is called a Hob; a neutered male is a Gib. Babies are called kits.

Lifespan averages 6 - 8 years.

Likes to sleep in tight, dark spaces.

Very active, but also VERY sound sleepers! Sometimes you can pick them up while they are sleeping and they will not wake up.

These are just some fun facts I have learned, but do a search online and find a trusted website to get your care info. They can tell you alot more. Dont rely on the people who work at pet stores to tell you about animals. They are often inexperienced, and usually just pretend they know things and they may make them up, so be careful who you trust!!

Last edited by a moderator:

merrycat

Cavy Slave
I think you might be able to make a C&C cage if you use the mesh grids? They can squeeze through pretty tight spaces so try to get the smallest grids you can find. As for ferrets and guinea pigs, I haven't read anything about that, but I wouldn't try it. Ferrets are predators and have, for a long time, been used to hunt mice, rats, other rodents and also rabbits. As such, I think they'd probably be a threat to guinnea pigs too.

That probably means that if your cavies have a C&C cage, you should make sure its grid spacing is too small for the ferret too. But with isolation and containment, you should probably be able to keep both types of pets without incident. Good luck^^

bbqbarbiedolls

Cavy Slave
I have ferrets as well... however, they currently live with my girlfriend who lives two houses down and has one ferret of her own. This is mostly because everywhere I've read it says that ferrets are a major threat to guinea pigs and sometimes even keeping them in the same room can stress out guinea pigs. Most ferrets can squeeze through the grids so you'll have to shop around for cubes with smaller grids or you'll have to do some creative modifications. Since she has no animals that are threatened by the ferrets we let them free range and they have a small area made out of grids that contains their water, food, bedding, litter box and so on that has an opening big enough for them to get through and small enough to keep the cats out... they love it. As far as care information on ferrets try to snag a copy of Ferrets for Dummies... it's the Bible for ferret owners.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Ferrets are great. I would look into a local rescue for more info and some hands-on. But they are escape artists and can get into the smallest areas (usually ones you didn't notice like, for example- there is a hole under most cabinets...) With GPs? Might not be the greatest idea, though maybe in two different rooms.

The smell is very noticeable, even if/when you get them descented. I love the odor... brings me back to my days of rehabbing wild animals. But even I can't take it unless the litter box gets changed 2x daily. (That was with 2 ferrets). I think they prefer to have a buddy, too...

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I don't know if this has anything to do with the relationship between a ferret and guinea pig, but this video shows a ferret gnawing on the bars of a guinea pig cage. So I would assume they don't get along.

Did you see this video? It's the same people in the link you provided. They have the GP in a ball and the ferret is trying to get it. That poor pig has to be scared out of it's mind.YouTube - Haku playing with Mikey

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
well, my rabbits love the feret i even let my ferret out on a harness whilst my rabbit is running around and my rabbit runs up to the ferret! anyway ferret life span is 8-10 years and they sleep up to 14 yours a day if you want naymore in fo just pm me with questions also joining (broken link removed) is helpfull as all the member help with questions and are very friendly!

jeter&ricky

Cavy Slave
I just got 2 ferrets myself and I have 4 guinia pigs. The ferrets went right for the guinia pigs, trying to bite them. I have the guinia pigs in C&C cages and some of the grids which I bought at Walgreens the ferrets can put their head through. I also have the ferrets in a C&C cage but the grids are smaller so they can't get their heads between them. I got them at Target. Ferrets are very curious and will get into anything that is around them. The other day my Ricky got under the stove. Yes I said the stove. Jeter loves to get into the closet and climb any shelf he can. LOL They are determended. They sleep pretty much all the time but about 4 hours a day so you really got to give them a lot of attention in the 4 hours they are awake. They truely become part of your life. It's like caring for a newborn baby. As far as oder goes mine are descented so they don't have a bad smell, just a smell of their own. If you have a lot of time on your hands they are fun to have around. They love to play and are get entertainment.
At least this is what I have found out in the week they have been part of my life.:)

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
oh yeh them being descented stops the poof ing wich is a smelly pump they make when they get scared (they dont make it when exited)

ortal

Cavy Slave
I had a ferret for about a year. I had to give him to my moms friend when we moved to a small condo, cause the smell would have been too overpowering.

While my GPs run from me, since day one, my ferret would climb to the top of his cage and beg for me. He would 'cry' (whine) when I would walk buy and not pick him up. I had to sneak out in the mornings.

Lots of shots, lots of checkups. not a cheap pet.

He was adorable, so much fun, always pooped in the same corner (which is where I placed his pan), I miss him very much. But, as much as I cleaned, he smelled HORRIBLE. I got used to it so that it wasnt so bad, but my friends wouldnt want to come over my house because the basement/family room smelled so bad. Not recommended for small apartements. He was descented and it was still bad. I wish I waited untill I was older (I had him in 8th grade, I am 20 now) because I would have taken care of him so much better, and had more patience and cleaned his cage more. They are also sociable and have fun with a buddy, mine would like playing with my friend's.

Good luck!

PS, if anyone knows of a site that is as thorough about ferretts as this one is about guinea pigs, please post it here. When I finally move into a house, ferretts are coming back =-)

jeter&ricky

Cavy Slave
Ortel,

A great website is (broken link removed) . The people are very friendly and from all over the world. There is stories shared and lots of info. You can ask anything that you need to and there is always someone to quickly help.
Hope this helps you.

JeterAndRicky

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I loved having Ferrets, they were so much fun. I had 7, a mix of males and females. They were all fixed and descented and lived happily with each other. My two oldest males lived to be 12 years old. Back when I had my Ferrets, permits were needed for each ferret, I'm not sure if permits are needed anymore. Every year my father and I would take all 7 to the vet for their annual shots, I believe it was distemper shots. It's been atleast 15 years since I have had ferrets and I do miss them very much. Some day I will get ferrets again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.