Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Potty Training?

penny1fenqian

Cavy Slave
I saw some pictures of people's piggies going potty in a potty tray~ how do I potty train my piggie?!?!?!!?????? someone please advise~~~ thank uuuuuuu

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
first, not all pigs CAN be potty trained. only about 30% will even respond to your efforts. most others use these litter trays as beds.

ok, so what you want to do is put some hay there(which will kind of attract them to the area). then, every time they poop out of the area, scoop it up and put it in the tray. the scent might lead them to go only in the litter tray.

again, this doesnt work with all pigs, so if it doesnt work for yours, dont get flustered.

penny1fenqian

Cavy Slave
thanks~ I'll definately try, do u kno approximately how long it should take for them to learn or for me to give up?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
id give it about three weeks or so.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
I was totally going to ask the same thing today! I tried it when they were little, but the tray was too small for them, so I gave up and took it back. They even sell small animal little fer like $1.99! lol...but I was going to try it again, I just want to find the right tray. And what litter do you plan on using?? I would think it would have to be different do they could tell the difference between bedding and litter..see what I'm thinking??

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
when i am going to attempt it, i think im going to just use newspaper( no colored pages of course). easy. cheap. not dangerous.

penny1fenqian

Cavy Slave
wait....wouldn't u just not use a bedding and use cloths or just...nothing.... and place a litter tray on a certain corner?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i wasnt even going to get a litter tray, just train them to do it in a paper bag line with newspaper

penny1fenqian

Cavy Slave
well yea, but doesn't it defeats the purpose if u still give them a bedding? would it get them confused?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i dont have bedding in my cage, only blankets.......

penny1fenqian

Cavy Slave
whoa? and ur piggies aren't potty trained? isn't that very messy and u needa wash the blankets a lot? piggies pee too.....man, can't imagin how u handle it!

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Oskar is litter box trained! It took me about 2 weeks! He learned farly quickly!:)

Good luck trying!!

Lots of Love,

Em

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
how did you train him and what litter do you use.

As far as confusion goes, I think it would just have to be diferent littler.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Ours are not potty trained and we don't use bedding. We only have a fleece liner. It is a layer of fleece, a towel, and another layer of fleece sewn together like a quilt. When they pee, it goes right through the fleece into the towel. The poops gets vacuumed or swept up every day. We change the liner every few days.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
penny1fenqian said:
whoa? and ur piggies aren't potty trained? isn't that very messy and u needa wash the blankets a lot? piggies pee too.....man, can't imagin how u handle it!

A lot of people use fleece blankets and towels as bedding. I guess it is just what you prefer. 1) Washing towels or fleece 2) using regular bedding 3) a mix of both
And it's not that gross. Loves2travel doesn't have her piggs yet so it is possible that she could litter box train them or just corner train them. (But piggs can't really be "trained", but you can try)

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
lol. yeah, i dont even have piggies yet. im going to try to train them but i am fully prepared for the wokr if they are untrainable.

LOL.

penny1fenqian

Cavy Slave
haha, some moment of truth there huh?

hmm....fleece, where do i get that? how often would u have to wash the towel? and will the pee from the towel make the room very stinky?

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
penny1fenqian said:
haha, some moment of truth there huh?

hmm....fleece, where do i get that? how often would u have to wash the towel? and will the pee from the towel make the room very stinky?
Fleece can be purchased at a fabric or craft store. Such as "Joanns" or "craftwhere house". The prices vary, since it is just for bedding you wouldn't have to get fancy fleece you could just use the stuff that is on sale. The lowest price is $2 a yard for clearance. Prices per yard go up to $14.99. Solid colors are usually $8 a yard. But you can catch sales at $4 a yard. Um if you are using 1 layer of fleece you usually have to change it once a day depending on how many piggs you have. But if you sew two layers of fleece together, you may only have to change it every other day. Towels need to be changed every day. Some people find fleece and towels very effective others find that it stinks horribly etc. You could sew about 2 layers of fleece and one layer of towels together and this may last you two days. Or 2 layers of fleece, 1 layer of crib pad and that may last you two days. It all depends there has been sucsess stories with fleece and horrible stories with fleece. You just have to try it to find out. And you need to make sure you can wash it in a washer where no one in your family minds, or have acsess to a laundry mat.
*Note* most people find that fleece does not work well with long haired piggs.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
yes, piggylover pretty much summed it up. i have a set up of one layer of fleece sewn to a baby crib pad. underneath that, a towel, followed by a few layers of newspaper.

penny1fenqian

Cavy Slave
when u say "change the fleece" does that mean change a set of material or wash that fleece and put it back on? I know fleece is a kind of thick hard fabric...right? and when u said if they pee, it goes "right through", then do the fleece still get wet at least 80%? and do they dry up after a while? annnnd about washing the towels, u wash it everyday...is it that dirty that it's too nasty to be hand wash?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.