Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Finally finished!

luverofpiggies

Cavy Slave
After nearly a week I finally finished Nut's (my daughter's hamster) new cage! It is 2 levels, each approximately 10 in x 27 in. I will move her igloo upstairs when I clean the cage. She wouldn't use the tube at first so I put her igloo downstairs until she started visiting the upper level (which didn't take her long). I hope to make her a few new toys now that she has more room. She was in a 10 gallon aquarium before. She seems to really be enjoying her new space!

Finally finished!

lower level

Finally finished!

upper level

Finally finished!

My plan is to make a new cage for our 2 male rats, Buddy and Rascal, out of grids doubled up, then move the hamster, Nut, to their old cage and move our 2 female mice, Violet and Roxy (aka Twister), to this new cage. Then everyone will have alot more space. ❤️

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thats really nice! I do have two questions. What type of wood did you use, and don't you think the hamster will chew through the wood?

luverofpiggies

Cavy Slave
I am not sure what the 1" x 2" x 8' is made of. Next time I'm at Home Depot I will check. The top, bottom and shelf are made of poplar (I found a piece that was 1/4 inch thick and 3' x 3 '. I don't worry about her chewing on the wood because the bottom and shelves are covered with coroplast (whether she will chew on that remains to be seen, althought she hasn't so far). As far as the frame, I used 1/2" hardware cloth stapled to the inside all around so it would be hard for her to get at the wood. I also used some tin (the kind they use for corners when installing drywall; it was $1.37 for 8 feet) on the back corners to cover up sharp corners. I guess only time will tell as far as chewing. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.