Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbit newbie seeking help

pigloo

Cavy Slave
We recently acquired a rabbit; this is very unlike me, I usually like to research things very well before I bring them home (just ask my husband, haha). I went to get a 2nd guinea pig as a "rescue" from a friend, and came home with both. Call me sucker.

In any case -- we have it in a temporary cage for now, but knowing full well that it will grow out of this home soon (it's only 6 wks old. It is a dutch and I saw the mother, so I have a good idea of how big it will get -- we're not talking humongobunny here, but nonetheless, the current cage won't be adequate.) What the heck do we need? And is this bunny going to go nuts by itself? I got the 2nd pig because I thought (a) it was a good thing to do, to give this pig a home, and (b) our piggie seemed so lonely. (Tonight our pig has given me dirty looks, though -- maybe I was wrong?) I have read that rabbits like to be groomed... is that something we as humans can provide enough of to keep her happy? As for food -- We have loads of fresh Timothy (we have that shipped to our home for the pig). What else do I need? And what foods to avoid? I mean, I know what veggies I can feed a pig, and what not to feed them -- what about with a rabbit? And how much play time does a rabbit need? How big of a cage? How many floors? How much bedding in the cage? I think we probably overkill with bedding / litter in our piggie cage -- what does a rabbit require?

We let this little bandit loose in our house tonight -- she's a ball of hoppin fur, I tell ya. The pigs would see her zip past and thought she was possesed. But again I digress.

SO WHAT DO I NEED? What are the basics in (a) cages (b) bedding (c) food (d) things I should know and sadly do not? She will have her own cage, separate from the pigs, so as to keep their diets separate.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Me, two pigs and a wabbit

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I have both piggies and rabbits. To learn more on the basics go to House Rabbit Societyand also (broken link removed)

Rabbits can have C & C cages also just remember to build them higher so that the rabbit can stand and stretch fully extended and so that they cannot jump out. Most people do not use litter in the same way as you would with piggies as rabbitsa can be litter trained. My rabbits house has cotton rugs and straw type (broken link removed).

Generally all rabbits are spayed/neutered https://rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html
Rabbits like to live with other rabbits
(broken link removed)
Diet basics
https://rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html#basics
Housing basics
https://rabbit.org/faq/sections/housing.html
You most likely know this but guinea pigs and rabbits should not mix
https://guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

Congratulations on your new addition, I hope that this helps.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Most rabbits enjoy the company of other rabbits. But before you get another one you should take him/her to a rabbit-savvy vet to be sure of the sex. Rabbits should be spayed and neutered around 4-6 months.

Rabbits can live in a C & C cage too, but the choroplast might need to go around the outside. I would try to make one around 4 cubes long and at least 2 cubes high. Rabbits love upper levels!

When your rabbit becomes litter trained, you won't have to have bedding all over the cage. They just need bedding in the litterbox. Stay away from pine and cedar. Bedding that is safe includes aspen, Yesterday's news, Feline Pine, wood stove pellets, Carefresh.

Rabbits also love (and need) toys. Here are some of my rabbit's favorites: cardboard boxes with multiple bunny doors, cardboard tunnel (at Home Depot), untreated baskets, untreated apple tree branches, hard plastic baby toys that make noise, phone book to shred, digging pot, towel, plastic slinkie. The House Rabbit Society website has a list of more bunny toys.

If you can get your hands on some oxbow rabbit food, I think it is the best.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add that baby rabbits shouldn't be fed veggies until they are around three months, and baby rabbits can have alfalfa hay too.

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
You can litter train a rabbit pretty easily, thus there is no need to fill a cage with bedding. You want to avoid cedar with rabbits as well. The best is to use some sort of compressed paper bedding, or wood stove pellets. Put some hay over the litter in the box, makes it more inviting to sit, eat, and go potty.

I use a puppy excercise pen as a cage for my heffer rabbit-

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.