Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage OTHER than a C&C Cage

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone!
I have recently gotten two guinea pigs (males) and these are my first ever. I am in vet tech school, so we have a house full of pets, and apparently I thought two guinea pigs would make it complete! We got them from a lady who had gotten them from the SPCA for her and her kid. They didn't spend much time with them, so they were rehoming them, and now they are my babies.
We are 23 and 24 years old, so we very much have the young lifestyle still, but my pets come first. We currently have two long haired chihuahuas, a pit bull mix I adopted to escape euthanasia (now he's my baby!), and three cats + the new pigs! My husband is very good with all the animals, and very understanding that this is my passion.
My problem...they came with a C&C cage. He HATES it. He thinks it's an eyesore. We have only had them for about a week and a half now. We have them in a spare bedroom to calm down, then want to move them to the living room to meet the other animals (we didn't want to overwhelm them as they were nervous enough being handled because they rarely were). They are starting to calm down loads. He understands they need a lot of space, but wants a different cage since it will be out in our living room or family room. Does anyone know where to buy the proper sized cage for what they need? We have searched everywhere and the biggest one we have found was 2x4 and my husband could easily put a second level on the inside. Or, does anyone know how to make any other cages that may look better? He hates the chloroplast...maybe we could replace it with something? And he hates the look of the zip ties. He nearly had a heart attack putting it together because the connectors kept popping away from the wire. Any help or opinions would be appreciated!

Liln'belle

Cavy Slave

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I really like the look of the first and the second ones, maybe change it up a bit. Would you think it would be safe to paint them?

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Also - All you need to do is go to the photo gallery on this site and scroll down to alternative cages. Theres alot to see! :)

Liln'belle

Cavy Slave
For the paint I have no idea as I have a C&C myself, but I think the first one may be made out of an old bed.

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
I don't think paint is a good idea at all. If they chew it........

Paint is toxic anyways right?

Naomi

Cavy Slave
I like the looks of my cage, it's cleaner looking (line wise) than the C&C's take a look in my gallery.

tillie

Cavy Slave
Hi you could always use lino instead of chloroplast and cover it with loads of newspapers or towels and then fleece. I dont know for sure but I expect the cot paint you can get would be ok as its non toxic. My cage is the 2nd one and was pretty easy to make.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Why not get new grids and coroplast and rebuild a cage in colors that match your living room better?
Try havving him look through the galleries and see if anything sparks his interest.

I like the cages that are made with chrome grids, black coroplast, and black cable ties. IT has a sort of sleek style to it that I like. ;)

kristina

Cavy Slave
Hi! My cage is the one seen in the first link Liln'belle posted.

The cage is made from a bed and the bottom covered with oil cloth (well out of reach for the guinea pigs). The bed is made out of wood but has a coating that makes it harder and water resistant. The doors are made of untreated wood. My pigs goes for the doors when they get the urge to chew. The natural wood seems to taste better, but I would not paint any part of the cage that the pigs can reach. (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.