PDA

View Full Version : fleece

oreo33
10-09-04, 01:35 pm
wwwooowww I just got done cleaning my pigs fleece and it smelled HORRIBLE.It even gave me a head ache. It was a great bargain and the first day seemed completely fine, but then I cleaned it out on the second day and i had 3 layers of fleece and baby crib pads and it still didnt work. There was still pee on the coroplast (sorry for my run-on sentences). Im thinking of changing to aspen does anyone have any preferences to this.(i used to use carefresh but it was to expensive)

Annette
10-09-04, 02:51 pm
I have a standard cage at the end of my C&C cage that I put pine shavings in. I have a little wood ramp going into it. My Pigs will pee and do most of their pooping in the pine shavings. They did this on thier own within a week of having the fleece in the rest of the cage. You may want to try putting some kind of litter box of wood shavings in the cage and see if they pick up on this. It is worth a try. Using a small amount of wood shavings is cheaper than filling a big cage.

loves2travel
10-09-04, 03:02 pm
Oh no!!!!! Im using fleece (or i will be strating as soon as i get my girls) and all i have is one layer of fleece and a baby crib pad. oh man!!!!!! if this doesnt work, i have no clue what im going to do....

loves2travel
10-09-04, 03:22 pm
now im getting very depressed, oreo. it leaked all the way through after only 2 days!?!?!?!?!?!?! i cant get wood chips because they are too messy, and........dang! this is so unbelievably dissapointing!

loves2travel
10-09-04, 04:16 pm
im going to try to train my pigs to go in a paper sack stuffed with hay and newspaper. hopefully ishouldnt have too many problems.

oreo33
10-09-04, 04:19 pm
thats a good idea. My pig just pees alot so i hope it works out for you

loves2travel
10-09-04, 04:36 pm
thats a good idea. My pig just pees alot so i hope it works out for you
how much does your piggy weigh, and is it a he or a she?

oreo33
10-09-04, 05:21 pm
its a she and i dont really know how much she weighs, but she is sort of small. why?

loves2travel
10-09-04, 06:02 pm
well, i just wanted to know. if they are bigger pigs, they eat/drink more resulting in more output. i also heard that males excrement (sp?) smell more than females. but your situation doesnt apply to any of these, so nevermind.

mncavylover
10-09-04, 07:01 pm
Aspen is awesome! I'd totally use it if I were you. Just add a thick layer and it'll last for a while. =)

mncavylover
10-09-04, 07:08 pm
Oh, also, for the fleece you've got to have some highly absorbent stuff underneath and change it every day. =)

liluqt
10-17-04, 09:57 pm
i have 3 boys.. and boy, do they smell and poop!!

loves2travel
10-18-04, 04:39 pm
Oh, also, for the fleece you've got to have some highly absorbent stuff underneath and change it every day. =)
yea, im going to try change it every other day. and litter train, and ill tr put some towels under the fleece. does anyone know if the dollar store sells towels?

cinn&sprinslave
10-18-04, 04:46 pm
yea, im going to try change it every other day. and litter train, and ill tr put some towels under the fleece. does anyone know if the dollar store sells towels?

Yep it sure does. They have fairly large dish towels. In a pack of three for $1

loves2travel
10-18-04, 04:47 pm
dollar tree? do you think three of these would cover a 2x3 area?

loves2travel
10-18-04, 04:53 pm
are the towels absorbant at all, cinn?

cinn&sprinslave
10-18-04, 05:03 pm
are the towels absorbant at all, cinn?
Ya they work pretty well. Over all towels work well but they do have to be changed every day.

loves2travel
10-18-04, 05:05 pm
i was going to put them underneath my fleece and crib pad.

would three towels sewn together cover the span of 2x3?

cinn&sprinslave
10-18-04, 05:20 pm
i was going to put them underneath my fleece and crib pad.

would three towels sewn together cover the span of 2x3?

Proabably. Most likely. But I am not positive.

loves2travel
10-18-04, 05:27 pm
Proabably. Most likely. But I am not positive.
ok, thank you. im gonna buy a few packs next time i go for under the hidey house and stuff. shich dollar tree do you go to?

cinn&sprinslave
10-18-04, 05:30 pm
ok, thank you. im gonna buy a few packs next time i go for under the hidey house and stuff. shich dollar tree do you go to?

I go to practically any one I see when I am driving down the road. I love dollar tree. And I always go to see whayt different stuff they carry. I wish they carried carefresh though. That would be totally awesome lol.

loves2travel
10-18-04, 06:04 pm
LOL. yeah. i love them too. all their plastic crates and boxes make such good piggy toys!

loves2travel
10-18-04, 06:15 pm
LOL. it WOULD be awesome if they sold careFRESH, or for that matter, any type of piggy bedding!

tashagurl
10-20-04, 10:25 pm
Ive never used fleece but I use a combination of towels/newspapaer/shredded paper. Make sure if you use towels that they have NO fringe or the pig will chew on it and ingest the threads. Also, gp hair is VERY hard to get off towels and out of the washing machine, especialy if you have long haired pigs like my silkies. It drives my mother crazy!

liluqt
10-21-04, 09:46 am
My boyfriend and I spent 4 hours constructing our 3'x6'ish cage. It's not a perfect rectangle and shaped kind of funny so it took more time and we had 3 full sheets of coroplast to work with since each of our 3 pigs gets their own section and color! anyway, i am buying aspen today with tons of carefresh already at home. i'm pretty concerned that their pee will leak into the coroplast even with a thick layer of aspen, carefresh on top and newspaper lining on the bottom.. enough jabbering, how the heck do you potty train a pig :) mine poop and pee everywhere even after 6 months.. theyre all boys and getting to be fairly large piggies.

loves2travel
11-07-04, 11:10 pm
i have started using fleece, and I love it! but its kind of an easy job for me because my girls sort of potty trained themselves and they only poop one the patio, and pee under the futon. theyre very good girls!

Sierra
11-08-04, 07:33 pm
That's awesome! I'm making my cage liners here pretty quick, I think they're going to turn out rather nice!

loves2travel
11-08-04, 07:50 pm
good luck with them sierra! I hope you love them as much as I did