Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Illinois!

MirandaAngelic

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone! I just joined the boards today and thought I should take the time to introduce myself (and my piggie) to everyone. My cavy is squeaking to say, "hello," as I type this (she really is!), but since you all can't hear her, I will dictate for her. lol

My name is Miranda; I'm 23 and very new to the world of guinea pigs, but not new to the world of pets. Currently I also have a turtle (Dagny) and a shih-tzu (Mia). This past October my shih-tzu, Carmel, passed away. She was 15 years old and led a very pampered and full life. When Carmel died, I was devestated. I am sure most of you know how hard it is to lose a pet, especially a pet you can't even really remember not having (we got Carmel when I was 7 years old). Although like most animal lovers, after awhile I started feeling the emptiness of not having a pet around. I wasn't really ready for another dog (which through odd guinea-pig related circumstances I ended up getting another shih-tzu anyway), but wanted a lovable friend. So, I started to look to guinea pigs!

My cavy is a female Peruvian Satin named Hoggle (after a character from the movie Labyrinth). She was born on Christmas Eve 2006 and came to me about 6 weeks ago. She is black and white-- her picture is my profile picture and my avatar. I know this website discourages breeding cavies... but I did get Hoggle from a breeder (I refuse to buy any animal from pet stores). I tried finding a cavy rescue in my area to not much luck. There is a huge rescue organization in the Chicago area, but unfortunately they only adopt to people in the Chicago area; I live three hours South of Chicago. I found this to be a little unfair as I was so willing to adopt...but that's another story. I am planning on moving to Chicago in the very near future and will not give up on adopting from them!

Hoggle is a very energetic little piggie! I feel bad that she doesn't have a friend (hence the adopting once I get to Chicago), but she seems very happy for the moment. She is constantly popcorning and running around her cage. She wheeks and chirps and whistles all the time. Every morning she wakes me up by running around her cage and when I call out her name she starts squeaking all over the place. Such a happy little girl! Her favorite treat is organic apple, and her favorite toy (at the present) seems to be her little cozy-cuddle bed! She just jumps on top of it and twitches all over then popcorns off! It is so funny and cute to watch. Her hair is growing longer each day, and I love brushing her. I'm a little nervous about it becoming "full-length," and I am sure to have a million questions about grooming her when the time comes for that.

As for me, I graduated from college in Boston almost a year ago now. Right now I am just a Starbucks barista trying to save up money for that big city move. I've been a vegetarian since the age of 14 (lacto-ovo), and I have a collection of all things 'rhinoceros;' I even have an adopted rhino in Africa named Jabari.

I love learning as much as I can about animals and pets in general, and being new to guinea pigs, I already have a ton of questions! I've tried to read up as much as I can, but nothing beats getting it straight from the experts! So, I look forward to chatting with everyone and gaining all your great insights and knowledge.

Thanks! ~Miranda

MirandaAngelic

Cavy Slave
Oh, and as a side note, I wanted to add something further about where and how I got my piggie. I know many/all people on here are anti-breeding. I didn't want anyone to get upset that I got my cavy from a breeder. I did search adoption options, and plan on adopting in the future. I do NOT plan on breeding my guinea pig.

I checked out the breeder I went to as much as she checked me out. She does not sell to third parties (petstores, etc). She does not ship her cavies. She provided and still provides me with excellent advice and care. She takes back any of her piggies if for some reason people are unable to care for them. And actually, she has stopped breeding. Although I couldn't give you her reasons, I just know she is finding good and loving homes for her baby piggies and keeping her remaining ones to love and cuddle.

I had just read some new posts on here about someone who was asking questions about breeding, and gathered it was a very (taboo?) passionate topic around here, so I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me or my beliefs from the very start! I love my little Hoggle so much, and I know I am giving her a great home that she might not have gotten elsewhere.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Welcome, my name is Miranda too! How did you get to adopt a rhino, I have panda bear everything, including a tattoo, I want to adopt a panda, so cool. Have you built Hoggle a c&c cage? She would benefit from it alot.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
MirandaAngelic, welcome! It sounds like you bought Hoggle (love the name) from a former or reformed breeder so I think you're safe! Besides, a lot of us bought from :eek: pet stores before we knew better. I'm glad you didn't do that. Those poor piggies are rejects & leftovers from less caring breeders. I think you did just fine and you're going to make a great cavy Mom because you obviously care a lot.

Do you have a name for Hoggle's future roommate?

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the club, MirandaAngelic. I'm an Illini myself I live an hour west of Chicago. Hoggle looks very beautiful. I used to have a satin dutch, I miss him terribley.

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
Ah, I love Hoggle from Labyrinth! Welcome to the forum.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome. Hoggle is a great name - I love the film Labyrinth. I'm sure you'll learn loads of stuff about piggies on here, so stick around and enjoy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.