Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Good Morning Everyone! Introducing Patches...

MomonCoffee

Cavy Slave
A few days ago, I became the lucky benefactor of an adorable guinea pig, Patches. The story of how he came to me is a sad one, his owners had planned on putting him down because they were moving and didn't want the responsibility of him during that time. His previous owners were some friends of a friend, and when told the story, I quickly had my friend call them up and tell them I would take him. Unfortunatetly, all of his needed housing and care items had been sold and already promised to others, so I would be taking him with nothing. I really didn't care as long as he wasn't put down.

Anyway, Patches came to us last weekend and has been a joy ever since. To be honest, I feel I am doing him a total diservice even attempting to care for him, but doing the best I can under the circumstances. He is for the moment, in a 55 gallon tank, of course I now realize that its completely inadequte and as soon as I have the money will be purchasing a C&C home for him. I also have learned that he should have a friend to keep company with. Would it be appropriate to give him a male companion as long as when I am not able to supervise they are seperated? I'm not sure how two boys would be together, I've wondered if they would be rowdy as boys often are.

Patches seems to be happy for the most part. Of course we are learning together. We have found where he does NOT like to be stroked and are trying our best to find the places he does. At the moment he is making a nest of my hair while perched on my shoulder. He's also trying to sing along with my children. Very cute. I hope to have some pictures of him soon.

I have been browsing several sites, but as far as I can tell, this seems to be the most mature and helpful I have found. I hope to learn as much as I can from you all, a huge wealth of info here, for sure!!!!

Wow, sorry for rambling. Just really glad to be here!

Heather(Mom on Coffee)
Mom to 3 children, a gentle canine, Sadie, 4 rowdy land hermit crabs, and our newest addition, perfect Patches.

edited to fixes errors

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the board. So glad you were able to take Patches in. Sounds like he really needed a great home. You will find this is a great place for information.

Getting him a boy buddy would probably be best unless you want to go through the expense and risk of having him altered. You shouldn't have to separate ( and really shouldn't) the boys once you have introduced them. There are several great threads about how to conduct quarentines and introductions when adding to your herd. If you separate them, then they have to re-establish who is the boss everytime they get back together.

Check out this thread about having multiple boars. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/25960-wanted-boar-stories.html There are a lot of success stories here on that subject. Mine included.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Well done for saving Patches from being put down, that was a great thing to do. lol

I'm glad to hear you'll be building a c+c cage when you can afford it, they really are the best type of cages.
I would certainly recommend getting Patches a friend (but not until you have him in his new cage obviously). Generally 2 boars will learn to get on fine - guinea pigs should be living socially, not just getting together for play time. As TX said there are lots of threads about how to introduce new piggies, what ages are most compatible etc, so i'm sure you'll have no problem.

We'd love to see some pigtures of Patches if you have any.

MomonCoffee

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the welcome TX! Thank you also for the links to helpful threads! I'm my mind will be spinning with all the info this site provides, but its well worth it!

MomonCoffee

Cavy Slave
Re: Good Morning Everyone! Introducing Patches... Now with "pigture"

Thank you for the welcome crazywiggy! I've been reading the threads that TX provided. Its all so much info!!! But so very helpful!

Here is a pigture of Patches in his favorite spot, my shoulder, making a nest of my hair. LOL!
patches.jpg

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I know, it's such a lot of info to take in, but I'm sure you'll make a great piggy momma. Patches is too cute.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Welcome ! You did a great job for Patches. He is so cute, I wish mine would sit on my shoulder..lol..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.