Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Woo Hoo! Found Timothy!

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
After talking to various feed stores, I was told that most people in my area do NOT grow timothy but orchard grass is readily available. I was having a brain freeze before I thought to ask a friend of mine who has cattle if HE knew anyone with timothy or what he used (he used bermuda grass or orchard when he feeds hay). He didn't know anyone off hand with grass hay but suggested I look in the local edition of Peddler, a low cost ad magazine thing. I looked and two different people have timothy for sale.

I spoke to the one nearest me, he has timothy, orchard grass and a mix of both (and alfalfa). I am going tomorrow to look at his hay. I told him it was for my pigs and I was looking for second cutting, more green and with seed heads. He seems to think his hay fits the bill.

This will be fantastic if I have uncovered a local source for good timothy hay and the best part is the price. I spoke to a friend of mine with a rabbit and if the hay looks good, I will be getting her a bale and 2 bales for me. If this hay doesn't work out, then I still have another place to try.

My husband is going to be not happy to come home and find that I have hay stored out in our storage barn but oh well, it will make my piggies happier. I would be able to get so much more hay for LESS than what I pay now with shipping added in.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yay! Fantastic news. You'll save yourself so much money =)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's so awesome! I'm glad you've found some!

ice_on_fire

Cavy Slave
happy piggies..^^

Sierra

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I'm still looking for mine. :(

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I got my hay!

Since I live in the South, I should not be surprised when I run into the good ole boy mentality but I certainly ran into it today. They found it vastly amusing that I shipped hay from MA and that this hay was for my guinea pigs. He also called all his buddies in to point out I was the guinea pig lady. Apparently now I hold second place for being the weirdest person who has called. The lady who wanted alfalfa for her chickens is still in first place.

I followed him out to his barn where he was willing to let me dig around and hand pick the bales I wanted. I got some lovely bales of green, fresh timothy for under $4 a bale. I got 2 for me and one for a friend of mine that has rabbits.

He expressed concern that the bales were kinda heavy for me to lift and did it each time I lifted the 60 lb bale and walked to my van and hefted it inside :)

I gave each cage a handful after I got it home and they dove in like I had not given then a bundle of hay this morning. I really think this is going to work out very well. I am pleased with the hay, the guy is willing to work with me and let me be picky about what bales I want.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's totally awesome and this guy ROCKS!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.