Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Question about eggs

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
Are eggs considered meat?? I heard somewhere that they aren't considered a meat product, but aren't they premature chicks or something? Would I still be a vegetarian if I ate eggs? Because they are a good source of protein, and the only other things I have been eating lately to get protein is peanut butter and beans/lentils.

:) Thanks.:)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Eggs are typically considered dairy rather than meat, and some vegetarians eat them (ovo vegetarians), some don't. Do you drink milk? (lacto vegetarianism)

I consider 'vegetarian' to be just a word, and your own beliefs and morals dictate what you do and don't eat. If you were to call yourself 'vegan', you wouldn't eat eggs, or drink milk, or consume anything animal derived (cheese, honey, milk chocolate etc etc.) To be a true vegan, you wouldn't wear or use anything which involved using animals in it's production - from leather shoes to woolly jumpers to animal tested shampoos etc to biscuits which contain eg. whey in the ingredients.

You have to work out if you feel happy eating eggs. Try googling to find info on veganism/vegetarianism and egg production - though be prepared for some graphic images.

Other sources of protein alongside eggs and beans and legumes include tofu, rice, wholegrains, cereals, soya milk, tahini and humous (chickpeas) and and beansprouts. Protein needs are automatically met by a balanced, varied diet...there is even protein in potatoes!

caribear

Cavy Slave
some non meat eaters eat them, while some do not. It is your choice. There are MANY types of vegetarians. I think there was a post on them alittle while back.

caribear

Cavy Slave
There are different types of vegans. If I remember correctly, there are 3 main types:
Lacto Ovo vegetarian, Lacto vegetarian, and Vegan.
1. A lacto ovo vegetarian eats mostly plant foods, but also eats eggs and dairy products including yogurt, milk, cheese and ice cream. It is an easy diet to keep up with in the real world of fast food, etc.

2. Lacto vegetarians eat no meat or eggs, but do consume dairy products. Now there are ovo vegetarians, who eat eggs but don’t consume dairy products.

3. Vegans stay away from all animal proteins and animal by-products. This is the most extreme form of vegetarian diet, as vegans get all of their nutrition from grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds. It is the hardest form to cook & everything. Bread is made with eggs. Even vegetarian burgers are made with egg. Many non-dairy products are thickened with casein which is extracted from milk.

Other non main groups are pesco vegetarians don’t eat poultry, beef or pork but they do eat fish. Pollo vegetarians avoid red meat and fish but eat chicken. There is also macrobiotics, inspired by ancient Chinese principle of yin and yang which is mainly locally produced, seasonal foods. The basic macrobiotic diet has fish – but without the fish and the diet is vegan.

There are even ones with fruit-& vegetarians that won't eat anything take kills anything even plants. If harvesting a veggie/fruit kills the plant, they won't eat it. I don't remember what is is called. There may be more but that's all I remember.

I do think that people need to do whatever is right for them & there families. Vegan or not. It may be cruel & rather gross but it is a way of life to eat other once living animals/plants. Other animals even do it. There are so many different people out there so many types of vegan diets are needed.

That was copied & pasted from the other post. I wrote that the first time, you can check out the other post.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the posts. I guess I am a Lacto Ovo Vegetarian then. I eat dairy products and drink milk, and I think I will keep eating eggs...I would love to be vegan, but I just don't think I could do it. I can't live without ice cream and chocolate for one thing! But I do try to look at bottles of lotion/makeup to see if it says "not tested on animals" because I know about all the cruelty involved with lab testing. : (

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.