PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs jumping and chewing?

jess5
04-05-07, 10:45 am
Just wondering...do dwarf rabbits eat wood furniture...and...how high can they jump? I've read on another forum - regular size rabbits can jump 3 feet high and will mistaken wood furniture as a chew toy. Dwarfs only grow to weigh about 2 pounds so I was wondering if the same applies to them being they're so little. Thank you for your answers. :)

VoodooJoint
04-05-07, 10:51 am
Dwarfs can do everything a larger rabbit can do. They will eat wood furniture, baseboards and anything else they can sink their teeth into. They will chew electric and phone cords and dig at carpeting.

They can jump nearly as high as a full sized rabbit.

They tend to have much bigger attitudes then full sized or giant breeds and also can have much bigger health problems especially with their teeth and mouths. Dwarf rabbits have the same number and size teeth as typical rabbits but they are crowded into a smaller space so need regular checking as they have the propensity to develop problems.

jess5
04-05-07, 11:23 am
Dwarfs can do everything a larger rabbit can do. They will eat wood furniture, baseboards and anything else they can sink their teeth into. They will chew electric and phone cords and dig at carpeting.

They can jump nearly as high as a full sized rabbit.

They tend to have much bigger attitudes then full sized or giant breeds and also can have much bigger health problems especially with their teeth and mouths. Dwarf rabbits have the same number and size teeth as typical rabbits but they are crowded into a smaller space so need regular checking as they have the propensity to develop problems.

Oh my goodness...they eat baseboards and anything else? One would really have to 'rabbit proof' a particular room; if not, it'll destroy the entire house.:ohmy: I see why some people prefer rabbits to stay outside. It's sad to say, maybe that's why most of them wind up in shelters after the Easter holiday. The owners didn't know what to expect. They're so small, cute and cuddly, you wouldn't think they were such a handful. I mean compare to my guinea pig - which is less work to care for. One would really need to devote lots of time and patience to care for a house rabbit.

My neighbor, (who gave me CoolWhip my guinea pig) has a dwarf lop rabbit she want to give away, but I said no thank you. Not knowing what to expect of it - its behavior.

It's rather disappointing, I really wanted a dwarf rabbit. :sad:

VoodooJoint
04-05-07, 08:53 pm
Don't get me wrong. Not all rabbits eat baseboards and dig up carpeting but many will chew on square edged furniture. By square edged I mean exactly what it sounds like. Furniture with edges, at rabbit level, that have right corners. I have never had a rabbit that chewed on rounded, polished edges but that doesn't mean a rabbit wouldn't.

Rabbit proofing is not as hard as it sounds. Cord covers are easy enough to find, Furniture can be protected (also block off or move low stored books, LPs, Cds, videos, etc.. as they love to destroy those) and even baseboards can be protected by placing untreated/unpainted pine boards against the wall and tacking them in place. It's also good to have appropriate diversions for a rabbit to destroy like an old phone book to shred, a cardboard box and wicket basket to chew on and tubes to run through, hide in and push around.

If this all sounds like too much work a dog x-pen or two works really well to create a safe area for playtime/free range.

jess5
04-06-07, 01:45 pm
Hmmmm, I think I'll reconsider having a dwarf rabbit. With a dog xpen or a high gate around the rabbit's cage - would give plenty of room for play and exercise in the spare bedroom or kitchen. The old phone book, wicker basket and etc. I already have.

But then again, CoolWhip really do need a playmate (another female gp). Oh decisions, decisions!

Thanks for the info. :)

cookie_gal
04-06-07, 04:13 pm
Dwarves are no different to regular rabbits, I've had both sort and find them to be the same. If anything they are much easier to handle. I've also never had a rabbit that eats wood or furniture etc, those that do tend to be bored. What I would say is don't have plants on the floor in pots as these are just too tempting! and make sure petals from cut flowers don't fall where the bun is likely to be.

suzilovespiggie
04-08-07, 07:42 pm
I have 2 buns that live im my spare bathroom. They haven't destroyed anything, but paper and the phone books I have put in there. I have the tub full of paper and hay. They love to jump in and out. I put in tennis balls, and plastic toys they love to push around. I put in a paper bag and they went nuts. They are a bonded pair, that play together, eat together, clean each other and are just a joy. One is a Holland Lop, the other a Fuzzy Lop. They both are litter box trained. Rabbits are fun, they are curious about everything and mine are very affectionate. I don't find them any harder to care for than the GP's. Actually I think they are easier as they do use the litter box and it's easy to clean up after them. No fleece, or litter. I hope if it works for you, you will try a rabbit. I love mine as much as I do the piggies.