PDA

View Full Version : Can I feed petstore treats?

Ly&Pigs
04-03-07, 01:38 pm
Most treats that you buy from petstores aren't good for your cavies. Many contain high amounts of sugars that can lead to diabetes. Many contain harmful preservatives such as ethoxyquin, BHT and others. Many contain animal fats, corn oils, corn syrups, and dairy products- all of which are not good for cavies.

Cavies are lactose intolerant and should receive no dairy products of any kind. They are also strict herbivores so any animal products are to be explicitly avoided.

There are also treat sticks that contain seeds and nuts which cavies should not have due to choking hazards and the obesity factor.

The best treats you can give your piggies are fresh veggies and the occasional piece of fruit.

Hamingja
07-01-07, 11:20 am
Since pet store treats are not good for your pig, can you tell me what are your cavys' MOST FAVORITE treat of all??? specifically what fruit and/or veg?? :?:

thank you,
Jen

Fay
07-01-07, 11:48 am
Each pig has a different taste, It's up to you to try different vegetables and fruits according to the instructions on the nutrition chart. That way you will figure out which each pig prefer. You can have a couple of pigs with each preferring something else!

Sugar
07-04-07, 05:48 am
Hello,

Its amazing how piggies love different vegies and fruit! My Sugar doesn't like strawberries at all, whilst my little Spicey baby loves them! My sweetheart little Guinea Pig, Sugar however loves carrots and edvine lettuce, while Spicey just eats them, but doesn't like them as much!

Its amazing!

guineapigfan9000
07-04-07, 06:58 pm
I agree with Ly&Pigs on this 100%.
I used to give my guinea pigs those things, and they never got negative health benefits, though. Why? Because they never ate them!
And if they did, it wouldn't have been good for them anyway. Those things contain I don't know what! Visible, though: sunflower seeds, bits of dried banana (can guinea pigs eat banana anyway??) and some unidentifiable powerdy stuff. :yuck:
My piggies favourite treat is the occasional slice of apple. I'm eating apple right now, if I go see my piggies they'll all be licking my fingers!

Florencia
07-05-07, 07:24 am
LOL my piggies eat treats all the time you know why? Because there's no vegetable they would leave behind, lol :love: there's no basic or regular food, everything's a treat to them..at least that's what it seems for there's nothing they would turn around and look away. You can do what I did, I made myself a list of the most rich and nutritive vegetables (link to one of the friend sites I think it was guinealynx) and then I pasted it on the fridge so I remember everything they like ...everytime I'm having a fruit for after lunch, they start crying mostly begging to me and Im' in the kitchen but they are in the bedroom! what a nose..so I have to go and share ^^:cheerful:
Good luck

envisionary333
07-05-07, 07:55 am
While it's great to find a special fruit or veggie that your piggy likes the best, make sure to provide a wide range of foods as well. Variety is the key to a healthy piggy diet. Check out the sticky threads in this forum to figure out what to feed and how often. Also, sometimes your piggy will reject a specific veggie at first, but will eventually grow to like it, so persistence is helpful when adding new foods to their diet.

Chomper_Slave
07-12-07, 06:40 pm
Why would petstores make yogurt drops for guinea pigs if they're lactose intolerant? That seems kind of ignorant, unless there's no lactose in it. I've never read the lables. My pigs don't like them any way.

Ly&Pigs
07-12-07, 06:55 pm
Why would petstores make yogurt drops for guinea pigs if they're lactose intolerant?Because most companies that make pet treats don't research the nutritional needs of animals. They are in it to make money first and foremost.

Zenith Cherry
07-12-07, 07:56 pm
Wow. That's really sad. That they use ignorant people by selling them a product that's bad for their animals. You just can't trust Petstores any where. I have a question though. Are smaller petstores better or more trust worthy than the big nation wide ones (PetSmart, Petco, etc.)?

Ly&Pigs
07-12-07, 08:03 pm
Are smaller petstores better or more trust worthy than the big nation wide ones (PetSmart, Petco, etc.)?In my opinion, no. Many of the smaller stores still sell many of the same things the larger ones do but some at higher prices.

MuPiggy
07-24-07, 07:20 pm
Is it ok for a guinea pig to have miniature dried corn cob treats?

Ly&Pigs
07-24-07, 07:39 pm
Is it ok for a guinea pig to have miniature dried corn cob treats?Sorry, but no.

MuPiggy
07-24-07, 07:45 pm
Why, just curious. IS it the small kernels/choking hazard, or is corn just bad for them?

Ly&Pigs
07-24-07, 08:00 pm
First of all, it's dried and only fresh fruits and veggies should be served with the exception of an occasional raisin, cranberry or dried fig. Although I don't know anyone who's ever fed dried or even fresh figs to their pigs.

It's corn and pigs shouldn't have very much of any corn products because they can't digest it well and taken from guinealynx-
Corn products (including corn bran, corn germ, corn gluten, ground corn, etc. There is no legal definition of "corn" alone in animal feed, so it may be any combination of products. Corn is not a normal feed for cavies, may contribute to allergies, and can be high in fat and certain sugars/starch depending on the product. Additionally, some corn is contaminated with deadly aflatoxin which can cause liver failure and death.)

Lastly, yes it has the potential to be a choking hazard.

If you want to feed corn to your pigs, try fresh corn on the cob along with husk and silk, but only feed about 1/2 an ear to 1-2 pigs per week.

Popcorn's pet
08-22-07, 04:46 pm
What about dried papaya? It's made by the Sun Seed company, no additives, but I'm skeptical. (My partner swung by the pet supply store to pick up Oxbow Vitamin C tablets, but our store doesn't sell them; he picked these papaya things up so as not to come home empty-handed. Silly husband!)

Ly&Pigs
08-22-07, 04:58 pm
Dried fruits contain too much sugar. They aren't suitable as treats. Oxbow makes a papaya tablet that is ok but as for dried papaya, it shouldn't be fed.

Miss-S
09-12-07, 06:46 pm
I give a fresh mix everyday. They all have their faves. If what I give them doesn't contain their fave then they will wheak for a long, long time untill I give in and give it to them. I don't however, although I must admit I used to!

Here is a break down of their faves:

Kofi-Cucumber, Carrot Cos/Rommaine Lettuce and Celery (cut very small)
Winky- Strawberrys, Strawberrys, Strawberrys and Cos/Rommaine Lettuce
Marley-Cucumber, Cos/Rommaine Lettuce and Kale
Molly-Cos/Rommaine Lettuce and Corn Husks

I usually give them a mix of the above. I tend to also give; Peppers, Boccoli, Cauliflower Leaves, Parsnip, Beetroot, Melon, Okra, swede and Corn Husks are a rare treat. To be honest they are all so picky they leave what they don't want. I tend to give more of the green veg as it is their fave.

SweetLilPiggie
10-17-07, 02:04 pm
I don't buy my guinea piggers petstore treats, I take the time to have floor time with him and feed him veggies as treats (I do give him veggies normaly in his cage but I like play with him and feeding him).

Maisiepaisie
10-18-07, 07:18 am
It's corn and pigs shouldn't have very much of any corn products because they can't digest it well and taken from guinealynx-
Corn products (including corn bran, corn germ, corn gluten, ground corn, etc. There is no legal definition of "corn" alone in animal feed, so it may be any combination of products. Corn is not a normal feed for cavies, may contribute to allergies, and can be high in fat and certain sugars/starch depending on the product. Additionally, some corn is contaminated with deadly aflatoxin which can cause liver failure and death.)

Lastly, yes it has the potential to be a choking hazard.

If you want to feed corn to your pigs, try fresh corn on the cob along with husk and silk, but only feed about 1/2 an ear to 1-2 pigs per week.
I didn't know this. My pigs love baby corn. Its organic and not dried, just a normal vegetable. Is this not ok?

Char-x
11-18-07, 02:52 pm
Has anyone seen the 'naturals' selection in Pets at Home stores? Most of there stuff I think is good for piggys...none of that stupid added suagr or colourings...

ava&lilly
01-03-08, 07:10 pm
I think it is ok to feed them pet store treats... but usually it is an occasional treat. mostly they get pellets, hay,veggies, fruit and dry oatmeal... they seem to LOVE it

I<3MyBabies
01-03-08, 07:34 pm
Ava, no petstore treats, They are junk food. Again love, read the thread. The question was answered by a moderator.

ava&lilly
01-03-08, 07:42 pm
ok... the only "store treats" i give them are these little wood sticks with veggie flakes/fruit flakes. it is by Nutriphase and it was a product of canada

cs275
01-03-08, 09:03 pm
What about yogurt treat, too much sugar?

Ly&Pigs
01-03-08, 11:08 pm
Ava, no petstore treats, They are junk food. Again love, read the thread. The question was answered by a moderator.Exactly.

Just to let you know, I've studied guinea pig nutrition for 2+ years. Please don't give treats made by Nutriphase or any pet store treats as most are made from low quality ingredients and contain things like corn, high sugar content, seeds, colored bits, nuts, etc. These only cause obesity in pigs and they can pose serious choking hazards. If you want to give treats, give healthy veggies and an occasional piece of fruit.

Dry oatmeal is on the no list as well. Cavies have a hard time digesting many grains. They don't need it nor do they benefit from it.

Yogurt treats are a definate no as cavies are lactose intolerant.

Sammy and Peanut
01-26-08, 01:23 pm
Is it okay to give them Tasty Twigs?

Ly&Pigs
01-26-08, 02:07 pm
Here is the info I found on Tasty Twigs-

Munch & crunch! Satisfy your small animal's need to munch with Tasty Twigs. The perfect snack for hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, mice & rats, Tasty Twigs are colorful sticks your pet can eat daily. Available in 2 oz. or 4 oz. bags.

Ingredients: Flour, Soya Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Corn Syrup, Yeast, Baking Soda, EEU Approved Natural and Artificial Flavors and Colors.

The things in bold are not good for cavies. I would avoid these. You will find most pigs won't even chew on any of these type products. Most pigs aren't big chewers. You need to provide unlimited grass hay to help their teeth. If your pig does like to chew, get some plain apple branches or fruit tree branches (NON-pitted fruits only) for them to munch on.

Not sure why you had put the link to google in there. It served no purpose so I removed it.

trying to learn
02-15-08, 07:47 am
I wanted to thank everyone for all of these wonderful answers. I have learned alot.

theresaj
07-19-08, 11:01 pm
Frankie loves bananas or apples as his extra special treats. :) He also loves cucumbers.

PixieStix
07-20-08, 12:29 am
Frankie loves bananas

Just make sure to go easy on the banana, these should be a VERY rare treat if fed at all (a small bit one time a month max). They have been known to cause severe bloat in pigs.

theresaj
07-21-08, 08:14 pm
He came with Kaytee Honey treat bars but I don't give him anymore of those. His extra special treats are bits of banana apple or peach. I mainly give these to him after like nail clipping time or to reward him. They're not on his general diet.

love4guineapigs
08-25-08, 04:07 pm
What about grapes or oranges?

Ly&Pigs
08-25-08, 04:15 pm
What about grapes or oranges?Fresh can be fed but like with all fruits in small portions and only once or twice per week. Please see the Nutrition Charts thread in the sticky thread section of the Diet and Nutrition forum.

Zipfelmuetze
08-28-08, 10:19 pm
My guinea pig enjoys: Parsley, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, Paprika (red), apples, cucumber, and blueberries. Punk isn't so fond of strawberries.
The store treat that I give him are Vitakraft Lofties.

Ly&Pigs
08-30-08, 11:51 am
You need to stop with those treats. Vitacraft is one of the worst companies for treats along with 8-in-1 and Hartz. The only treats they need are extra veggies and the occasional fruit.

You also need to ditch the red paprika.

RainKindle
08-30-08, 12:00 pm
Has anyone seen the 'naturals' selection in Pets at Home stores? Most of there stuff I think is good for piggys...none of that stupid added suagr or colourings...
There was one really healthy treat that I found once. No sugar, no dairy... It was half timothy hay and it had stabilized vitamin c in it.
Maple totally ignored it!
Don't waste the money.
The best treats are fresh veggies and some fruits.

Bennalaya
09-12-08, 09:12 pm
Okay, here is my thing - I know that I wouldn't eat day-glo colored yogurt drops. So why on earth should I feed them to my furry family members? It honestly appalls me to see what is available at pet stores for small animals. Seriously, hanging seed feeders for cavies?

It's unfortunate, because these types of treats are marketed to parents who think buying their six year old daughter a Guinea Pig from PetSmart is a good idea and the Little Princess likes hot pink, so the piggie should have hot pink treats. Parents see the little rabbit, rat and guinea pig on the package, so it must be safe. Right? Wrong! Seed treats are for birds. Nuts are for squirels.

Some people assume, "well, this bag of yogurt drops is only $3.99 and there's a guinea pig on the bag. It's probably way cheaper than buying fresh fruits and veggies, anyway." I purchased Abby's veggies tonight at Publix. Here is what I spent (bearing in mind that I already had some other fruits and veggies in the fridge to get through the weekend):

Yellow Squash .34
Red Leaf Lettuce $1.69
Zucchini .86

There you go. Abby's favorite veggies and it came to under $3.00. And you can't put a price on their happiness and health. I just wanted to illustrate how buying the multi-colored junk in the bag because it "looks pretty" or "looks tasty" or it's assumed it is cheaper than buying fresh produce is nonsensical. Pretty colors do nothing for cavies. They eat their own feces the first trip through the digestive system. They really don't give a hang if there are compressed sesame seed pretzel sticks dipped in neon green and orange yogurt in their bowl.

AnimalHouse36
09-12-08, 09:58 pm
and dry oatmeal... they seem to LOVE it

I'm sorry but dry oatmeal?!:eye-poppi I don't think I've ever heard of that one! You need to stop feeding that! PRONTO! They are strict herbavores. Who knows what that could do to them! (well ly would but!)

Ly&Pigs
09-13-08, 12:00 am
I'm sorry but dry oatmeal?!:eye-poppi I don't think I've ever heard of that one! You need to stop feeding that! PRONTO! They are strict herbavores. Who knows what that could do to them! (well ly would but!)It won't kill them but in time it will make them obese and could make them picky eaters. Cavies have a hard time digesting grains.

auburnmare5
09-13-08, 07:49 am
Ly is right, gps cannot digest grains very well at all. They should be fed sparingly, if at all.

RainKindle
09-13-08, 10:52 am
The "old fashioned oats" do not expand in their tummies.
The other oatmeals could expand, and therefore are a strict no no.

Best not to feed the old fashioned oats either since it is not good for cavies.
It can be a rare treat, but really, a special veggie or fruit treat would be best.

MotherofGambit
10-02-08, 02:58 pm
Ok, perhaps a silly question. Is it you can only feed fruits in general 1-2 times a week, or it that you can only feed a specific fruit 1-2 times a week. Say I get some apple and grapes. Can I give him a piece of apple twice a week and then a grape twice a week too or no?

Also, my baby makes all sorts of noise if I don't give him fruit (I think he likes the sugar or something). Last night he did it and I gave him some more lettuce (Romaine and this appeased him after a bit). I felt bad though not giving him what he was looking for.

AnimalHouse36
10-02-08, 03:20 pm
No. Any kind of fruit once to twice a week.

RainKindle
10-02-08, 07:04 pm
Since mine go after carrots like crazy, I use that to reward them because it can be given daily. I slice a flavorful baby carrot up into slivers, and give those to them when they do something good. (Like when the shy ones approach me, or when my messy pottier goes where I want them to.)
One goes crazy over green pepper too. Find a favorite veggie and you are set!

Ly&Pigs
10-02-08, 10:34 pm
Ok, perhaps a silly question. Is it you can only feed fruits in general 1-2 times a week, or it that you can only feed a specific fruit 1-2 times a week. Say I get some apple and grapes. Can I give him a piece of apple twice a week and then a grape twice a week too or no?
Yes, that would be fine. A thin slice of apple and 1 grape cut in half for the fruit feeding is ok. I often give two small pieces of fruit to my girls twice per week. One day of the week they may get apple and kiwi and the next time it could be a grape and a piece of watermelon with rind. Just keep the portions small. I usually give them both fruits on the same day and do it twice a week.

BabySnow
10-27-08, 08:07 pm
I'm also upset that companies like 8in1 and Hartz say that they are concerned with your pets health, and then forums like these say they are horrible.

I emailed 8in1 a specific question about yogurt drops for guinea pigs and I'll post their reply here if I get it.

werevamper
10-31-08, 01:46 pm
I know they're made by 8-in-1, but what about the Citrus C orange slices and Tangerine Dream? Here is the ingredient list:

Orange Slice:

Carrot Meal, Dried Orange, Corn Starch, Sodium Alginate, Water, Potassium Sorbate (a Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C).

Tangerine Dream:

Dried Tangerine, Alfalfa, Corn Starch, Sodium Alginate, Water, Potassium Sorbate (a Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C).

Another question I had about food in general; does corn starch count as corn?

starshine123102
10-31-08, 02:35 pm
I wouldn't feed them anything except their veggies and hay. It's all they need for treats.

Ly&Pigs
10-31-08, 10:30 pm
I know they're made by 8-in-1, but what about the Citrus C orange slices and Tangerine Dream? Here is the ingredient list:

Another question I had about food in general; does corn starch count as corn?Did you read any of this thread or just ask the question? Petstore treats are bad, plain and simple. Don't feed them.

I'd count corn starch as a derivative from corn but not as corn itself.

werevamper
11-02-08, 12:39 pm
Ly:

I did read it, I just wanted to make sure I didn't give them to my boys anymore if they were bad since my Mom got me them.

Now that I know they're bad, I'll stop giving them. Thanks.

Shawnee
12-29-08, 11:30 pm
Are treats made by the same company as the edible hideys (the clay looking ones with hay on top) bad?

Tserisa
12-29-08, 11:42 pm
Yes, and those edible hides are awful. They're basically sugar and saw dust.

Shawnee
12-29-08, 11:47 pm
But I have seen them in so many pictures and recommended in at least one thread....

Tserisa
12-30-08, 12:00 am
Do you mean these?

8-in-1 Snak Shak House (http://www.petco.com/product/101910/8-in-1-Ecotrition-Snak-Shak-House-Small.aspx)

The ingredients are Pine wood shaving, cassava starch, alfalfam straw liqui mix (water, sodium alginate, potassium sorbate, propionic acid, honey, glycerin, propylene glycol).

They are really bad. I've seen them in some pictures but I've seen some other awful things in pictures as well. Not everyone who puts pictures on the internet knows what's best for their pets. I don't think anyone should be recommending them, but if they are, then I can only guess they've never looked at the ingredients.

Shawnee
12-30-08, 12:06 am
hhmmm I guess you are right! I just figured they were okay since their so edible.

auburnmare5
12-30-08, 07:01 am
Any petstore treat, or almost anything that somes out of a petstore, are bad. The companies don't care if the animals are going to be negatively affected by it. They put all of this crap in it like sugar because they know people will buy it seeing that it is edible. Then the pigs are going to fall in love with it because it is so sweet. The owners will keep buying it because they see the animal loves it so much.
Then a few unhealthy treats later...You have a serious possibly fatal medical issue.
I am not saying that if you give them one bad thing in your life that they will be sick, just that you shouldn't be giving them if you know they are bad.

Shawnee
12-30-08, 01:30 pm
I am not saying that if you give them one bad thing in your life that they will be sick, just that you shouldn't be giving them if you know they are bad.

yeah well I have decided not to give it to him anymore, even though he loves it SO much, It's like kids and candy though, they love that doesn't mean it should be part of everyday life. Even though they may disagree;)

Ly&Pigs
12-30-08, 03:00 pm
But I have seen them in so many pictures and recommended in at least one thread....If someone recommended them then they don't know what they are talking about. The ones we see in photos, well the slaves are asked to stop giving them because they are bad.

theresaj
12-30-08, 03:33 pm
I say we stick with tried and true what we know is best for our fur babies. Fresh healthy veggies and a good quality pellet. Let us show pet stores that it's unprofitable to sell products that have little benefit to them.

wigglesgiggles1
12-30-08, 04:29 pm
After reading this i learned sooo much.I will never buy sugar coated over-priced crap for my piggies again. It is so unhealthy and lets all stick to veggies and small portions of fruit. We can outsmart those greedy people who want our money and dont care about our babies.

Shawnee
12-30-08, 10:49 pm
We can outsmart those greedy people who want our money and dont care about our babies.

I certainly hope so, now the tricky part is getting the word around, we should boycott!!! It just sounds like fun :D

PixieStix
12-31-08, 03:25 am
Lots of people here already do boycott, but more stores that sell animals. However, they also support stores that only sell animal safe, healthy products. I find even that stores that don't sell animals have much better supplies.

wigglesgiggles1
01-20-09, 03:07 pm
Shawnee

That does sound like fun. I always wanted to boycott.

Shawnee
01-22-09, 07:23 pm
After reading this i learned sooo much.I will never buy sugar coated over-priced crap for my piggies again. It is so unhealthy and lets all stick to veggies and small portions of fruit. We can outsmart those greedy people who want our money and dont care about our babies.

I am so truly happy that my simple naive question could and has helped at least one other person! Thank you for your imput!!!!!!!!!!

IluvePiggies
01-28-09, 08:25 pm
I have no clue what my Guinea pig's favorite veggie or fruit is but I do know they love my Veggie salads that I put together. Can somebody give me ideas on what they feed their piggies and if they do a salad, what do you put in the salad?

pigsforlife
01-28-09, 10:02 pm
Look in the diet and nutrition section. Read all of the stickies particularly in this section. Do a search of the forums for any unanswered questions after that.

If you follow these simple steps you will find pages and pages of info and peoples opinions (and their piggies preferences) to do with diet and nutrition. Check out the safe and not safe veggie and fruit list. It would be a good idea to print it out and take it to the grocery store with you the next time you go. In another sticky there is a coloured table which illustrates how often foods can be fed. Use this to feed your pigs appropriately. A good diet (in terms of veggies) consists of a leafy base with veggies including romaine and other lettuces - except iceberg - as well as leafy greens like parsley, mint, cilantro, basil, bok choy etc. From there add in things like bell peppers, carrot, celery and different fruits like apples, strawberries etc. Rotate items through according to the coloured table, feeding I would say, at least 3+ different kinds of veggies twice a day to offer enough variety so that they can get the minerals and vitamins they need.

fairylover
05-31-09, 03:45 pm
What about those colored blocks that wear their teeth down? They are approved by the FDA.

starshine123102
05-31-09, 03:48 pm
I personally wouldn't use them, if they get a proper diet they shouldn't really have a problem with their teeth.

Also, from what I've read, most pigs aren't even interested in them.

piggyluver1722
06-19-09, 06:31 pm
what i do to spoil my babys is i make them there own little salad for treats i just take diffrent veggies each time and wrap them in lettuce so they have a diffrent kind each time:)

Mama&Baby
06-25-09, 08:02 pm
The only thing I buy from pet stores is the bedding, which is Carefresh Ultra. I saw all those treats with artificial coloring added to them, it's so nasty.

MissFormosa
07-27-09, 08:14 am
I read this whole thread and realize that fresh fruits and veggies are the BEST treat to give. I do give them fresh veggie treats in between meals. I try to limit the fruit, but do give it occasionally.

But what about the Oxbow Simple Rewards Veggie Treats (http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/animal/detail?object=1691)?

I am asking because when I purchased my Oxbow hay there was a special promotion where you got a free package of the treats. I guess I got excited about treats from Oxbow and gave them each one without thinking about the ingredients. I felt so stupid afterwards! Next time I will ask before giving! Ugh! :sad:

I saw a few threads asking about the Oxbow Simple Rewards fruit treats (which were determined to be not that good), but I didn't see the veggie treats mentioned.

Here are the ingredients:
Barley Flour, Alfalfa Meal, Rolled Oats, Molasses, Canola Oil (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and lecithin), Dried Carrots, Dried Potatoes, Dried Cabbage, Dried Red Peppers, Dried Green Peppers, Flax Seed Meal, Kelp, Garlic Powder, Brewers Yeast, Yucca Schidigera.

My guess is that they may not be good because

1) they are probably baked or contain dried ingredients;

2) they contain oats, potatoes, cabbage and some other ingredients that I saw on Ly's nutrition chart that were marked either as a occasionally or rarely

3) My boars are over 6 months old, so they don't need alfalfa.

Ok to give rarely or throw out? I hate throwing food out but I don't want sick fat pigs either.

SFailed186
07-27-09, 08:35 am
What about those colored blocks that wear their teeth down? They are approved by the FDA.

I know this is a late reply, but I would not buy them. I used to think guinea pigs needed to chew wood and stuff because my first guinea pigs that I had when I was about 10 always chewed their wooden hidey all of the time. They were in a petstore cage and now I realized that they were probably chewing because they were bored and wanted out. However, as an impulse buy, I got some chew sticks and a Nut Knot Nibbler for my girl Freya after we got her. She chewed the sticks, but I didn't think they looked that great/safe. It sounded like she was chewing styrofoam! After removing the nut from the Nut Knot Nibbler, both Freya and Haylee maybe chewed it on five separate occasions and the other times they just rolled it out of their way when they were running laps. In my opinion it is a great waste of money, space, and time. Fresh Timothy Hay is best for keeping their teeth down. :D

gooberific
07-27-09, 09:35 am
But what about the Oxbow Simple Rewards Veggie Treats (http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/animal/detail?object=1691)?

Here are the ingredients:
Barley Flour, Alfalfa Meal, Rolled Oats, Molasses, Canola Oil (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and lecithin), Dried Carrots, Dried Potatoes, Dried Cabbage, Dried Red Peppers, Dried Green Peppers, Flax Seed Meal, Kelp, Garlic Powder, Brewers Yeast, Yucca Schidigera.

Toss them. They do contain dried crud, and potatoes should never be fed, period. We've all read hundreds or thousands of times that treats and food with dried bits are a "no-no." Flour, Oats, molasses, oils and yeasts are also on the avoid lists. Flax seed meal is pretty fatty, I would think. And I'm not sure if the Yucca is an okay forage for a cavy. However, they probably use the food-grade, ground-up form anyway. (Google searches reveal that many people believe it to relieve many HUMAN ailments.)

Here's a reference point on potatoes at the very least:

I'd get a new vet. Potatoes are poisonous (especially the peel part if it's green or sprouted) and mushrooms are a fungus, I don't believe mushrooms are poisonous to pigs but since they are herbivores, they don't eat fungi.

If you look on the second post on the Nutrition charts thread, you can see they are on the do not feed list.

Do NOT feed avocados, coconut (both too high in fats), iceburg lettuce (low nutrition, high in nitrites, high water), tomato stems or leaves, potatoes, rhubarb, taro, mushrooms, peanut butter, hot peppers, hot herbs and spices, dry beans and peas, nuts, jams, jellies, fruit preserves, sweetened fruit juices, pickled vegetables, coffee, cola, milk or dairy products to include yogurt, cake, cookies, baked goods, fried, frozen or cooked foods. (From http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/38327-mushrooms-white-potatoes-good-choice.html ).

MissFormosa
07-27-09, 12:43 pm
Yeah, that's what I figured after I read the ingredients...I was surprised of how many things in the ingredients I had seen on the "do not feed" or "rarely" section of Ly's nutrition chart.

It makes me sad that they market these sort of things to pigs even though they are not healthy. They put a big picture of a pig on the front and write up a clever selling line to make it look healthy and people buy it for their pigs thinking they are doing the right thing.

I guess it's the same as McDonald's (or other fast food) for us. It's marketed so much that you want to eat it and when you do, it's bad for you. I can still remember the Big Mac song from the 80's for crying out loud!

Ly&Pigs
07-27-09, 12:45 pm
Just because it's Oxbow brand, doesn't make it good. I would definately not feed those treats.

They also contain garlic and brewers yeast which pigs don't need. These treats are just as bad if not worse than some of the other treats on the market.

ionstorm
08-10-09, 03:19 pm
I do feed my Dixie vegetables, but which vegetables contain vitamin C? And how much should I give her?

Ly&Pigs
08-18-09, 01:16 am
I do feed my Dixie vegetables, but which vegetables contain vitamin C? And how much should I give her?Your question is off topic to this thread. This thread is about petstore treats, not vegetables. Please see the Nutrition charts and sample menus sticky threads for the answers to your questions.

SuperPIG
09-02-09, 02:19 pm
Pet store treats are just a waste of money... there is just not one brand that you can actually trust when it comes to buying pet store treats. Veggies, fruits and lots of love are better. : )

1i10r
10-29-09, 09:16 am
Hello,

I will be getting my guinea pig very soon... well, Skinny pig, and I was just wondering if all of this applies to SKINNY pigs as well...

I was also wondering what you all recommend as the best brand of food for a skinny pig. I was thinking Mazuri. Prove me wrong if you can.

Ly&Pigs
10-29-09, 12:57 pm
I will be getting my guinea pig very soon... well, Skinny pig, and I was just wondering if all of this applies to SKINNY pigs as well...

I was also wondering what you all recommend as the best brand of food for a skinny pig. I was thinking Mazuri. Prove me wrong if you can.
Yes it applies as the nutritional needs of all pigs are the same. No petstore treats for any type or breed of pig.

Mazuri is an ok food and an acceptable brand to feed but it's not the best. It's an alfalfa based pellet with corn products. It has to be severely limited in pigs over 6 months to no more than 1/8 cup per day due to high calcium.

Better brands would include Kleenmama's (Kleenmama's Hayloft :: Home (http://www.kmshayloft.com)), Oxbow (Oxbow Animal Health | Home (http://www.oxbowhay.com)) and Sweet Meadow pellets.

1frankie7
12-19-09, 03:39 pm
The only thing even close to a pet store treat my pigs ever get are hay cakes(oxbow, living world, ect make them).

Triggs
12-19-09, 05:38 pm
My local pet shop is ran by the "RSPCA" and all proceeds go to shelter and protection of Animals etc. So I try to buy as much there as I can. All there toys/treats/foods have been checked and passed by an Animal nutritionist so I assume there all safe. They don't sell the colored hoops or any of the colored treats etc. But they have these "Lucerene Logs" There like a hay log that's been compressed with pressure. No additive's or anything. Being only hay I'd imagine them safe? The Vet there told me they are good too because they gnaw away at them and it keeps their teeth healthy. Do these seem like a good idea?

1frankie7
12-19-09, 08:29 pm
those would be fine(I think) because all it is really is tightly packed hay(just like my hay cakes).

Peggysu
12-19-09, 08:40 pm
The Vet there told me they are good too because they gnaw away at them and it keeps their teeth healthy. Do these seem like a good idea?

I would think about changing vets because guinea pigs don't need things to gnaw on in order to keep their teeth healthy, they need unlimited amounts of grass hay which helps wear down their back molars. As for these treats being safe I'm not really sure.

Paula
12-19-09, 09:19 pm
Do these seem like a good idea?What kind of hay is it? And what's the need to have it compressed? You're right that if it's just hay it should be okay but you need to be certain it's just hay without anything else, as you seem to have done. However, if it's alfalfa it should only be given to older pigs on an occasional basis as a treat only. As for the "animal nutritionist," I wouldn't put much stock in it, as who knows what the qualifications s/he has - honestly. There's no reason you can't listen to his/her recommendations, but I'd honestly do my own research before trusting anything I give my animals. And, as Peggy pointed out, the vet there might not be the most reliable source, either.

Piggy_Princess
12-19-09, 09:39 pm
I occasionally give my pig those treat sticks with the nuts and seeds. He loves them, and they make him very happy. Plus, he's not at all obese - in fact, he's a runt, and is currently underweight due to tooth problems that hinder him from eating anything but kibble.

rabbitsncavyluv
12-19-09, 09:47 pm
Those nuts and seeds are probably not helping his teeth problems.

I love eating junk food too. Doesn't mean it is good for you.

VoodooJoint
12-19-09, 09:48 pm
What kind of tooth problems? Are you having his teeth taken care of by a good vet? Tooth matters in guinea pigs are serious. He NEEDS to eat. He needs to eat hay and fresh veggies, not just "kibble" (I pray you mean pellets).

Those seed sticks are fatty. The reason your GP is not getting fat from them is not because they are good for your pet. It's because it can't eat properly and is starving! Those seed sticks/treats are also full of sugar--not good since GPs are prone to diabetes. The hulls on the seeds also tend to get caught in the teeth/gums and cause horribly painful infections and abscesses which require risky surgery.

PLEASE, stop giving them to your pig and read the nutrition thread to provide a safe and healthy diet. I also pray that you are having the tooth problems your pet is suffering from treated. If not then do not delay and get your pig to a vet as soon as possible.

Ly&Pigs
12-19-09, 10:29 pm
Lucerne is alfalfa so those logs are compressed alfalfa hay. Do they have other ingredients in them? If it's just compressed hay they'd be ok as an occasional treat for young pigs but not for older pigs. If they have any ingredients in them other than hay, then no.

Ditto to VJ on the seed and nut treat sticks. Very bad for cavies.

PiggieMamaKelly
12-20-09, 01:05 am
I thought older pigs could have the occasional treat of alfalfa?

Ly&Pigs
12-20-09, 01:29 pm
I thought older pigs could have the occasional treat of alfalfa?They can but it's better if it is not fed, especially in pigs who are fed an alfalfa based pellet or pigs who have stones/sludge issues.

eroomlorac
12-21-09, 01:03 pm
I haven't owned piggies in a long time but I do have chinchillas. Is it okay to give a piggie an occasional pinch of old fashioned oats or rose hips? Also, I make homemade chinnie cookies that consist of a "cookie base' of canned pure pumpkin, oat flour, flax seed meal and a dash of blackstrap molasses. Then I mix in flax seeds, rolled oats and barley and bake them at 200 degrees until they are dry and hard. Would these be okay?

Ly&Pigs
12-21-09, 01:27 pm
I haven't owned piggies in a long time but I do have chinchillas. Is it okay to give a piggie an occasional pinch of old fashioned oats or rose hips? Also, I make homemade chinnie cookies that consist of a "cookie base' of canned pure pumpkin, oat flour, flax seed meal and a dash of blackstrap molasses. Then I mix in flax seeds, rolled oats and barley and bake them at 200 degrees until they are dry and hard. Would these be okay?Oats no, rosehips yes but they should be fresh. No chin cookies either as cavies are not to have baked goods. Grains are harder for cavies to digest so the flax seeds, oats and barley is not good for them to have.

eroomlorac
12-22-09, 02:04 am
Thank you. I didn't know that. So, no dried rosehips? It's a good thing they enjoy their veggies so much. That's treat enough. I've also been feeding them a bit or two of carrots when I hold them so they associate being held with good things. I know they shouldn't have a lot of carrots so I just give them a couple bites when I hold them. That limits the carrots and also it's a great treat and bonding experience.

1frankie7
12-22-09, 07:55 am
carrots are a fine treat but they are best if not fed everyday.

Ly&Pigs
12-22-09, 11:34 am
When things are dried, it takes out a lot of the vitamins and that's why anything fed to cavies should be fresh when it comes to veggies or forages.

Carrots really contain very little nutrition and aren't all that beneficial for the pigs. You'd be better off hand feeding some cilantro.

BabySausage
01-11-10, 10:44 pm
I don't know if any of you know of the treat called Yogies?

Are they good for the piggies? They actually taste really good to me and my friends! Which is a little weird...They taste a LOT like vanilla! Is there something bad about that? I'm just wondering :optimist: They seem like they're legit nutrition, but, then again, I could be wrong! Thanks :)

rabbitsncavyluv
01-11-10, 11:00 pm
No dairy. They are also very sugar-y. Bad for guinea pigs.

Veggies and a small piece of fruit or carrot is better.