Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litterbox for floor time

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
can you train your piggies to use the litter box during floor time?

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Put the box in a private spot with lots of hay in it.

It's hard to "train" them, but if you make it so they enjoy going in it, they will usually sit and eat/drink and go to the bathroom at the same time.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
yeah you cant really train them like a dog or cat, but they can get used to a litter box. my piggies use one in their cage (helps with the cleaning so much) but you will always find some poops lying around the cage. i got them to use it by just placing the box in the spot they usually go to the bathroom in. they usually only use one corner of the cage.

ice_on_fire

Cavy Slave
if you potty train your piggies its really useful during floortime so they don't pee and poo everywhere..

Treen

Cavy Slave

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
Starbucks said:
yeah you cant really train them like a dog or cat, but they can get used to a litter box. my piggies use one in their cage (helps with the cleaning so much) but you will always find some poops lying around the cage. i got them to use it by just placing the box in the spot they usually go to the bathroom in. they usually only use one corner of the cage.
How do you keep your pigs from mving the box around w/their noses and/or chewing on it and flipping it over? What do you use as a litter box in their cage?

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to use one of thoes plastic litterboxes that you put in the corner of the cage (We got it from a animal and garden supply store)

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
i use the plastic corner kind. they actually started moving it around, or rather the new guinea pig taught that rest of the piggies how to move it, but they have never flipped it over.

ice_on_fire

Cavy Slave
you can just use thick stack of newspaper and put some poo and litter there and sometimes piggies will use it

kurzon

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.