Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Lovely weather! When do you put your cavies outside?

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
Hello.
I just happen to be in London (where I had a job interview). All the four days I spent I had horrible weather, it was cold and I caught a terrible cold. Now, when I have to leave and go back to Germany, weather is great ... grrrr
But I wondered if British guinea pigs will enjoy the nice spring weather today? will you give yours a run in the garden?
I wish I could do with mine, but I think it will still be to cold back in Berlin.

Best wishes,
Mim

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Although the sun is shining here in Scotland, there is still a fair breeze, so my piggies are staying in. I don't think I'd risk letting them have a play in the grass until mid April at the earliest, I think the ground still has a bit of warming up to do!

Really looking forward to then though, as my newest two haven't been out in the garden yet atall.

Off to do some gardening now though - make the most of it while it lasts 9though still with a jumper on!)

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Well I let my pigs out in the garden a few weeks back, it was lovely!
S5030206.jpg

Even the rabbits and cat joined us:
S5030213.jpg

sweep-and-smudge.jpg

However I started to get really hot so I brought the pigs back in! I never thought it would get so hot in early March!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Mine don't get out until May at the earliest. This weekend has seen gorgeous sunshine, nice and warm, but there is still a chill in the air. Maybe it's just us northerners, Jane!

muffin

Cavy Slave
Nup, too cold still. Was very tempted on Saturday, but still too chilly and there was a breeze. Spent the afternoon organising my shed instead and tidying up the house and garden, enjoying the fresh air.

Anyone who does put their piggies out- a good tip is to wear a T shirt and sit next to their run. If your are cold, then so are they. If you are one of those mad people who wear T shirts in December and don't feel cold ever then have a thermometer by you. Make sure the grass itself is warm, and not in any way damp, as cold/damp tummies is a major cause of piggy illness and even death.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Yeah I am a southerner so it is a little hotter down here! It's been very nice and sunny this weekend but way too cold for the piggies and me! I am a cold bod so I don't tend to feel the heat.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Ugh am so jealous of your weather- it's always so much warmer in England. I too am a cold beanie. I only spend about one month of the year without a jumper on.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Grass is either too wet/muddy or there is a wind for us, sadly.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
I just put my two pigs out for about an hour. I was pottering around taking photos with my brothers new camera in a t-shirt, and wasn't cold, so I think it was OK. I just bought them in though, because it's getting a bit chilly. I think they were a bit scared, because they just snuggled up in their hut and ate the grass in there. My previous pigs have loved being outside on the grass, so hopefully now they can go out more!
Here's a not-very-good photo of them:

Last edited:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Anyone who does put their piggies out- a good tip is to wear a T shirt and sit next to their run. If your are cold, then so are they.

Very good hint!

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks, can you tell I'm an indoor pig person?!

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
Bless, Mine have all been outside enjoying the sunshine, me sitting there in my t'shirt as suggested a good hour they loved every single minute the popcorning and the wheeking was amazing, the younger ones were unsure what to do at first but the elders soon showed them

I now have a bald patch of grass !!

muffin

Cavy Slave
Ahh, sigh, maybe in a couple of months the weather will warm up enough where I am!

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
My piggies went outside again yesterday, the weather is really nice here at the moment. There were two lovely squares of mown-down grass underneath the hideys lol
Just thought I'd remind everyone not to leave the pigs out for ages on the spring grass, because they'll guzzle down all that grass and it could make them ill.

Last edited:

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
I'm putting all my animals out today! Just got to drag he run out and thats no easy task as its huge! My Grand-dad made it for them.

tillie

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately my garden is all patio, would it still be ok later on to put them in a run out there to get some fresh air and pinch some grass from my neighbours?!;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.