Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Honeycomb Storage Cubes

Cavy Cuckoo

Cavy Slave
I am looking to build a larger cage for my budgie soon. I came across these storage cubes on Walmart.com -

5-Section Honeycomb Storage Cube - Wal-Mart

I was wondering if anyone has tried these before. I was planning to build upward, as in one 'honeycomb' on top of another. Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated =)

Edit: Here is a bad drawing of what I'm planning on doing with the cage if the cubes work.

Honeycomb Storage Cubes

Edit again: I will put some aviary wire across the top because I realized obviously there is an opening there. Duh lol On the bottom I will use coroplast.

They look amazing! I haven't seen them before - but am already dreaming up ideas for cool cages!

I would think they could make a really good budgie cage - but wouldn't one section be awffy wee? I think i would want to have at least three put together, width ways as well as tall to make a good sized cage fro your bird.

This is what the measurements say:

Assembled cube measures 36.625"H x 12.375"L x 25.625"W

I'm not sure if that means one cube, one hexagon shape put together or the whole shebang like in the photo.

I saw them on the site too when searching for cubes. I think it would be neat to use them for a cage. Good luck trying it out! I would love to see pictures! Let us know how it goes.

Alright :p I'm probably going up tomorrow or monday to get some, and if they don't have them I'll have them shipped to the store (or to my house if that is not available). I will definately let you guys now how they work!

Two things I would worry about, First how fine is the mesh? I wouldn't make a budgie cage with my mesh cubes (linen n' things) because my mesh is to fine and toes would get stuck and possibly pulled off.

Second, the shape, budgies much prefer square/rectangle shaped cages, round cages can cause them to become confused and stressed.

Just eyeballing those, they seem to be regular mesh cubes, just made into a hexagon shape. Look at the connectors!

To make the Hexagon shape the slit on the connector where the grid fits must be at an angle, if you bought some extra "normal" connectors then you could make it a square/rectangle, but I would still be worried about the size of the mesh.

If I find them at the store today, I will definately check that out. Thanks everyone.

Standuprookie, I didn't think of that. I do have alot of spare connectors, so I can make a rectangular cage out of these. But I will definately check the size of the mesh.

They look cool but I'm wonder how to zip tie them together for stability. Will they allow for good air flow?

Steven

I wanted to add that birds need horizontal space to fly back and forth and a tall, vertical cage is not a good idea and will not give them adequate room to stretch their wings.

If these are mesh type cubes, it will also be difficult to attach perches and toys.

Thanks for your concern, bunnyluv. :) I didn't make it to the store today, but I will definately get some kind of mesh grids tomorrow from walmart or another store.

Here's the new plan (Yet another bad drawing):
Honeycomb Storage Cubes

Double up the grids in the entire cage. The mesh grids are too fine and they can easily catch a toenail when they're climbing.

I would make it taller as well mate as 2x3x2 sounds small, if they are anything like the grids i have and they look very similar they are only about 1 foot (12 inches) in height which only makes it 2 foot (24 inches) total. I dont think this is big enough for a bird to fly and stretch their wings.

Let us know how you get on

Im thinking about making a bit of a strange sort of cage for me piggy ( something like a cage to go in a corner which has a curve on to meet with the two ends, mmm might be a good idea :D

These are awesome! I am thinking about going and buying some to make a hamster cage.

I dont think this is big enough for a bird to fly and stretch their wings
Parakeets would much rather fly side to side then up and down. So you should go for more length than height. I would think 2 grids (14 inches each) high would be fine. Height is more perferred by clipped parakeets who get alot exercise by climbing. (And climbing on mesh grids would not be good for clipped or non-clipped birds)

Here's an example of a cage I made as a test. I ended up not using it, but you get the general idea:

Honeycomb Storage Cubes

I would say make it a bare minimum of 1x2. I'd go as big as you can.

Currently I have my bird in a 1(W)x2(H)x3(L) doubled up grid cage. It's just..well, hard to keep it together and I'm worried about an escape.

Does anybody know if the hamster playpen type things would work if I buy a few sets and secure them together? I'm just kind of brainstorming to find a better alternative.

Hamster Playpens would work.. but they are must more expensive.. (in my opinion) you only get a few pieces for more than $10..

A thought.. Could you make a cage out of regular grids and than cable tie the mesh grids over it so that the birdie can still climb on the reg. ones, but not escape..?

I didn't think of that. I guess it would work, but correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.