Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ariel

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :)

I want to dedicate this thread to a wonderful guinea pig named Ariel. I adopted her in 2004 from Have A Heart GP Rescue in NJ along with her two daughter (from two different litters). All three girls are texels and came from a breeder originally. Poor Ariel had over 13 babies and was over 4 years old when I adopted her. I knew when I adopted her that with everything her little body went through, she may not live long, but to my surprise she was a very strong piggy! About a year ago, we learned from the vet that she had a tumor in her bladder and "she may not live more than a month or two". With medication, vitamin C, ointments, and weekly butt soakings, she lived happily, although she was losing weight.
Last month, her health really began to go downwards. She still was a ferocious eater, but moved around less frequently and started to have a very pungent odor. In the last week, it hurt me so much to watch her and I knew she was done fighting, so I called the vet to make an appointment to put her down. In the days before we went, it pained me to watch her as the smell grew worse, and she became more and more languid.
After just having to put down my first rescue pig last week, it made euthanizing Ariel even harder.
She has such a sweet personality and was the only piggy who would let me pat her inside the cage. It is so hard watching her daughters without her. They are not sure where she is and have not moved much since Ariel left on Tuesday.

Grace Spring

Terekins

Cavy Slave
What a beautiful post. You did the right thing, don't worry. You did everything right by giving her a new life :)

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Sorry you had to make that decision, she is probably vey happy you did, now she may rest in peace.

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
She was beautiful. I bet you gave her a great life while she was with you.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
What a beautiful little girl she was. It sounds like her life with you was perfect, and you made the right choice by euthanizing her humanely, it's so peaceful. You're in my thoughts.

On a separate note, because it sounds like her daughters were so attached to her, they may have a tough time recovering. You should probably weigh everyday, just to make sure that the stress doesn't need medical attention.

If you need any help coping with the loss of your sweet girl, you know where you can always come.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.