Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties New cage!

alex_23

Cavy Slave
Here is my new cage for my girl rats. I also made the same one for my four males.
New cage!

Re: New cgae!

Very cool, a rat palace!

Re: New cgae!

Very cool, a rat palace!
Yes it is quite the palace. They have many toys and things to do during the night when they are awake, and when they are sleeping during the day that have many spots to choose from to sleep. They just love thier new home!:love: :cheerful: :love:

It looks as if you have fleece on the bottom of the cage. Does that work out OK? I have wondered about using fleece with some of my other pets (2 mice, 1 hamster and 2 rats, housed seperately of course :)).

It looks as if you have fleece on the bottom of the cage. Does that work out OK? I have wondered about using fleece with some of my other pets (2 mice, 1 hamster and 2 rats, housed seperately of course :)).
works wonderfully! I no longer use this cage as I have gone back to my old SP ferret cage(36x36inches and 5feet tall)because the rats kept chwing off the cable ties.

I have read alot of questions about using the cable ties and was contemplating making a rat cage from the extra grids I have left, but perhaps they would be better left in their current cage (a reverted bookshelf).

I have seen other posts mention that rats will chew the coroplast. So far I haven't had that problem, but these guys are only a couple months old so only time will tell.

I have read alot of questions about using the cable ties and was contemplating making a rat cage from the extra grids I have left, but perhaps they would be better left in their current cage (a reverted bookshelf).

I have seen other posts mention that rats will chew the coroplast. So far I haven't had that problem, but these guys are only a couple months old so only time will tell.

yeah. i had those small petsmart cages and then i got superpet ferret kingdom cages(too hard to clean!), then I went back to my old petsmart cages....bought a coats rat mansion for my girlies, then built my cubes cages for them, and then I went back to my old sueprpet ferret kingdom cages which will last me until Feb.2008 for when I buy a new Rat Nation(take off on Ferret Nation)by midwest(comming August2007)lol

You know...I was thinking about it last night and I think I may have the solution. I am currently constructing a new home for my hamster, Nut, and I purchased metal clips at the local Big R (if you don't have one I know you can order things from them online) that are used for putting together wire cages and hutches. The clips are J shaped and just fold around the wire. I got 1 lb. of clips (it looks like there are at least 100, probably more, clips in the bag) for $5 or $6 and the their special wire clip pliers for $11. The company that makes these is:
Miller Manufacturing Comapny
935 Aldrin Drive
Eagan, MN 55121
(I don't see a website listed)

I will be using them in the next couple of days after I get all my hardware cloth cut and can let you know how they work. It could save you from purchasing a new cage perhaps. :)

Just wanted to let you know that I love all the cool toys your girlies have. I have only had my rats for about 2 weeks now so they don't have too much yet. I am working on that, but between a hamster vet visit, 2 new guinea pigs and 2 new rats in the space of 4 weeks money is tight. I can't wait to get them more though.

dapperrat.com.au has some awsome suggestions for rat toys that can either be made from home or you can buy the materials...and it is all very cheap! Also, dollar stores(I don't haev on though)and walmart(mine is 1/2hr away)carry great thigns you can use for rat toys.

Good luck with your cage!
Oh, and I have 6/7 of my rats who are all sick with respiratoy problems and they are on baytril and doxy 2 times daily.

I'm sorry to hear that about your rats. :sad: I hope they pull through OK. Our hamster is doing much better. They had her on an antibiotic for a week.

Thanks for the suggestions on rat toys. I did get the couple of things I do have (bird toys) from Walmart, but I want to get them more. I'll have to check out the site info you gave me.

I know this is a bit off the subject, but since you were able to post a picture on this thread I was wondering how you were able to do so. I've been having some trouble in thatr area. Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that about your rats. :sad: I hope they pull through OK. Our hamster is doing much better. They had her on an antibiotic for a week.

Thanks for the suggestions on rat toys. I did get the couple of things I do have (bird toys) from Walmart, but I want to get them more. I'll have to check out the site info you gave me.

I know this is a bit off the subject, but since you were able to post a picture on this thread I was wondering how you were able to do so. I've been having some trouble in thatr area. Thanks.

Well, my rats are on antibiotics for atleast 30days for their full treatment. I hope your hammies gets better soon.

I'm glad you got some toyd. Mine love hammocks, baskets, hammocks, shoeboxes, hammocks, tissue boxes, hammocks, ropes, hammocks, wodden bird ladders, hammocks, pvc tubes, hammocks, wheels, and did I mention hammocks?!? (sadly this picture was taken within 1hr of the cage being built so you can't see all my many hammocks I made and bought for them) :)

And, for uploading pictures I just go to the 'Upload Photos' page at the top you click on it and follow the directions. It takes me like 10-15 minutes for my bigger pictures to upload onto guineapigcages.com ;)

Well, I put one picture on there and the mods deleted it because it was only a picture of my piggies, no cage or anything. I've since read the rules and have found a place to put my piigies picures on the internet, but still can't get them to insert on a post correctly. Oh well, I'll keep trying. I haven't downloaded any pictures of my cages yet as I haven't been able to get any decent pictures.

As for the hammocks, do you make yours out of fleece or other materials? I imagine they might have something about this on the website you mentioned earlier too?

I really need to get this hamster cage done so I can work on the rats home. Currently there ins't enought room to really put the pvc pipe I got for them. I have a large cardboard tunnel they sleep in, but it is so long it takes up quite a bit of space. I plan to make them another small shelf and I need to make a way for them to get up the top shelf still. I am interested in trying to use the clips I mentioned to put together a cage for them with the remaining grids I have have left over after making my piggie cage the way I wanted it.

Anyway, I better stop babbeling and get off to bed. Yawn.......:yawn:

P.S. I checked out the pictures of Kiwi's cage. Pretty nice! :cheerful: I wish I could leave my girls cage open that way, but I'm sure my cats (especially the young one) would thing the pigs were dinner! Yikes! I am pretty proud that I was able to get my neighbor to build a C&C cage for her son's 2 pigs. They were living seperately, each in a glass aquarium (20 gallons or so I think). I was able to see their new C&C cage today and boy did they seem happy.

Last edited:
Well, I put one picture on there and the mods deleted it because it was only a picture of my piggies, no cage or anything. I've since read the rules and have found a place to put my piigies picures on the internet, but still can't get them to insert on a post correctly. Oh well, I'll keep trying. I haven't downloaded any pictures of my cages yet as I haven't been able to get any decent pictures.

As for the hammocks, do you make yours out of fleece or other materials? I imagine they might have something about this on the website you mentioned earlier too?

I really need to get this hamster cage done so I can work on the rats home. Currently there ins't enought room to really put the pvc pipe I got for them. I have a large cardboard tunnel they sleep in, but it is so long it takes up quite a bit of space. I plan to make them another small shelf and I need to make a way for them to get up the top shelf still. I am interested in trying to use the clips I mentioned to put together a cage for them with the remaining grids I have have left over after making my piggie cage the way I wanted it.

Anyway, I better stop babbeling and get off to bed. Yawn.......:yawn:

P.S. I checked out the pictures of Kiwi's cage. Pretty nice! :cheerful: I wish I could leave my girls cage open that way, but I'm sure my cats (especially the young one) would thing the pigs were dinner! Yikes! I am pretty proud that I was able to get my neighbor to build a C&C cage for her son's 2 pigs. They were living seperately, each in a glass aquarium (20 gallons or so I think). I was able to see their new C&C cage today and boy did they seem happy.

yes, i make my own hammocks; tube, pocket hammocks, regular hammocks, cube hammocks, anythign...I also make my own ropes for them.
I have a cat and three dogs but I only let my little sheltie Lily in my room and she has grown up around my rats and just LOVES kiwi, and kiwi loves her. They talk to one another and kiss eachother and smell eachother and Kiwi comes out of her igloo to see Lily. Its super cute.

I rescue Kiwi in December, the day before x-mas eve. My 'friend' had her in 10 gallon tank with super dirty bedding, dirty food pellets and water(the pellets were the unhealthy kind, too!)and poor Kiwi had many names like ice-cream, poopy, and icky. She didn't know her name(she does now)and she was never petted or let to run around. She did have a dog friend who would come up to her aquarium and smell Kiwi. But Kiwi's cage was like that for 2 months without cleaning. She was also fed meat and dairy products and eggs! :(

Now shes a happy piggy who loves to cuddle and run around in her huge cage. I saldy cannot adopt another piggy for her to be a friend with, but she loves Lily thank gosh.

That's so awsome that you were able to rescue her from your friend. Good job! :cheerful: It sounds like Kiwi has a wonderful life now even without a friend. If it were me I would rather have a nice loving home than a friend anyway.

I got my hamster cage done, finally, and it is pretty cool. The only thing is she doesn't seem to want to go up or down the tubing to and from the second level. :eek: Perhaps with time she will. I'll have topost a picture of it as soon as I get one.

That's so awsome that you were able to rescue her from your friend. Good job! :cheerful: It sounds like Kiwi has a wonderful life now even without a friend. If it were me I would rather have a nice loving home than a friend anyway.

I got my hamster cage done, finally, and it is pretty cool. The only thing is she doesn't seem to want to go up or down the tubing to and from the second level. :eek: Perhaps with time she will. I'll have topost a picture of it as soon as I get one.

thanks. Kiwi will run super fats full cage laps and goes up and down her ramp, but thats only if I'm not in the room or if I'm up on my bed. She doesn't want me to know how fast she is ;)

I want to see pictures of you hamster cage! And some of your ratty cages! With time, my rats learned to travel through tubes to go up and down their cage levels, so I'm sure your hammie will learn to(of course, rats are smarter :p )

I have posted pictures of the new hamster cage on this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/others/26953-finally-finished.html#post295487 I haven't been able to get good pictures of the rats cage. I will have try again when I get better lighting. The digital camera I have just doesn't take the greatest pictures inside. It didn't take Nut very long to start using her tube and she goes up and down all the time now! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.