Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

huge problem PLEASE HELP.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
okay, heres the deal. i have my 3 guinea pigs currently, with all the supplies for a C&C cage but the coroplast which i have to get measurements for. i have VERY limited space in my room because my mom wont let me have it anywhere but my room, and my room is small. i have them currently in 2 store bought cages. two guinea pigs in 1, one in the other. i feel horribe about it, but i have had them in there for over a year because i havent been able to convince my mom. (shes pretty much given up argueing, so i've almost won) and the 3 are what i thought were sisters, and so did the people i got them from. but, we think 2 of them are actually boys. exept the two that are together havent done anything. so i dont know. but when i put them all together to clean cages the 2 unknown gender guinea pigs like argue. while the for sure female goes off alone. so i dont know what to do about caging. i dont know how i would work that. because i dont have the room for 2 seperate cages. and i dont want to get rid of any of them. i love them tons. PLEASE HELP. i am open to any and all suggestions.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
First, you need to get them properly sexed. Once you have determined who is male and female you can either block off a C&C cage with grids to seperate or make it two levels high. If you are able to block the cage off with grids the single will still have the company of the other two. If you go up the single might get lonely. Or you could get the male neutered and the could possibly all live together in one C&C cage.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
First of all, you need to know for sure their actual sexes before putting them together. See this page: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm or have an exotics vet check for you. Do not let them play at all until you know for sure that you're not putting males and females together. If one turns out to be male, you can have him neutered and live with the other two girls. If there are two males, you cant house them both with one female. You can always stack the C&C cages. A 2x4 for the males and a 2x3 above them for the female.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Ditto for fourbwabbys. Don't let them all play together at all until you are absolutely sure of their gender. A male GP can impregnate a female in just seconds - it doesn't take but a moment of turning around to get something or taking a phone call, etc.

My guess is the two living together are probably the same sex since they haven't had any babies after so long, but you still need to be 100% sure.

The sexing page from GL website should help you a lot.

Good for you for wanting to get them in a larger cage(s) You'll be so happy with the way they 'come out' of their shells a bit when they have more room.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
They are right now still very into things. They are curious and love people. And I will get them sexed. Because I am horrible with sexing things (I already tried doing it off of the site) Or could I take some pictures and you guys tell me? If you could thatd be great because I am kind of low on money right now.

bshore

Cavy Slave
Getting them correctly sexed is the most important. Once you do that, I have ideas for your cage:

Do you have a closet that gets some light when you leave the door open? You could put them in there. Or, if you have a low shelving unit or chest of drawers you could put your piggies on top. Also, if your bed is high enough off the ground, you could construct it so that part of it runs under the bed and you can pull it out more for cleaning.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
I will try some of those ideas. Thanks! And I need to find someone around here who will sex guinea pigs for cheap.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
If you post pictures, we might be able to help.

jump it

Cavy Slave
I agree with everyone who has spoek so far, but just a little tid-bit: I don't think you are going to find anyone who will sex a guinea pig at all, let alone finding someone who will make you pay for it. Like you can't go into the phone book under "sexing guinea pigs", you know what I mean? Ask an adult who may be more clearer on the subject; have the pig and the picture right next to you and compare. Or better yet take them to an experienced vet! But don't put them back together if you're unsure or you will be having a few more guinea pigs in your future which makes your cage space issue even more of an issue!

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Jump it, I'm thinking about taking them to the small animal vet near my house. Do you think that they could do it?

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
If you have had them for over a year...it is IMPOSSIBLE not to notice that the boys have giant testicles coming out their rear end. Seriously.
boar3.jpg

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Some boars have small testicles though.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Well i'll post some pictures. Let me find my camera. This way I can get this over with and know whos a boy and whos a girl. By the way, their names are Reeces, Skippy, and Lily. And I am in the process of making room for a new cage! I took an extra set of cubes i had and made a mini closet organizer! I only have 2 more drawers that need to be emptied. And I am planning on doing that later today. Now to go find that dang camera.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Okay, I couldn't get any pictures of "Lily" but I am 99% sure she is a he. Just as I thought. (Will anything "pop out" on a girl?) Because I got something to pop out on Lily, who may have to become a Willy. Now to check the other two. My predictions are Reeces is a boy and Skippys a girl. I'll be back with some pictures hopefully.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
I got a picture of Skippy. The picture is pretty bad, but I am alone trying to do this because no one else is home or willing to help me. (My brother us a brat, and my dad doesn't particularly care about them) He wants me to give them away. (Which I won't =]) Like I thought, I am pretty sure she is a girl.

Now that I uploaded them, I actually did get a picture of "Willy/Lily". I will post both. Though both are bad. I hope someone can see them enough.

(broken link removed) Willy/Lily. I think its a boy.

(broken link removed) Skippy. I think its a girl.

Now Reeces.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you have had them for over a year...it is IMPOSSIBLE not to notice that the boys have giant testicles coming out their rear end. Seriously.
Not true. Like all other animals, guinea pigs very greatly in size. When I took Percy to the vet the first time, I was only partly sure that he was male, and the vet had to check him twice to be positive. He was intact and his testicles were honestly that small. They looked more like 2 swollen spots than the decended scrotal sac you often see in pictures.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Maybe Reeces is a girl. I couldn't get anything to "pop out". One question that will veryify my sexing of Reeces and Skippy. Right infront of the genitals I guess thats what you call that even on a girl. The little round bump you feel when you gently press. Is that the ovaries? Because i felt that. And unlike on Willy/Lily, it was just a round bump instead of a longer "tube". And Reeces and Skippy are in the cage together, so that would make sense that they are both girls. Picture of Reeces is bad too, but here it is.

(broken link removed) Reeces

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Like all other animals, guinea pigs very greatly in size. When I took Percy to the vet the first time, I was only partly sure that he was male, and the vet had to check him twice to be positive. He was intact and his testicles were honestly that small. They looked more like 2 swollen spots than the decended scrotal sac you often see in pictures.
I will agree 100% with that. At first I mistook my male, Gumbo, for a girl. He appeared to be lacking testicles. He is guessed at 4-5 years of age in the photo in this link. He was intact and was neutered after this photo was taken.
(broken link removed)

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Can you guys look at these pictures and tell me what you think the genders are? (I resized them)

(broken link removed) Lilly/Willy. I think its a boy.

(broken link removed) Skippy. I think its a girl.

(broken link removed) Reeces. I think its a girl.

The pictures are bad, but I really need to know before I am able to even begin thinking of being about to remove them from their pet store cages.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Skippy's picture I can't see at all, but the other two look like girls to me, but I am not an expert, wait for someone with more experience to tell you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.